The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow I didn't realize the pad size on the S550 six piston calipers were so much larger. What's the size difference between them and the GT350 six piston Brembos?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
06mach1 said:
Steve, do you have pictures of the gt500 brake pad compared to the 4 piston boss pads? Curious to see the difference between those two pads.

You'll be shocked to see how small the 4 piston Brembo pads are in comparison to the 6-pot units. I know I was!

Look forward to more pics,

Steve, thanks for sharing your expertise on this topic.

302 Hi Pro

voodoo child21 said:
Ford has 15" floating 2 piece rotors that I will have for 2017 Derek.

Giro disk makes 15" 2-piece full floating rotors for the 2013-2014 Shelby. They are $1,000 a set through KNS without a forum discount. A set of replacement rings are $800. That is cheaper than the Ford Performance M-1125-MSVT15 and you have a known source and part number for replacement rings.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
This is awesome....thanks for doing the hard work!

So we know it fits but, and I'm not trying to be a fart in an elevator here, what is the impact as far as comparability with the rest of the electronics/ABS? How can this be safely tested?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Taco, I will be testing at VIR in February, don't worry they will work just fine. We run race ABS modules so there isn't any Corporate Nannies to mess with the braking anymore. Am also investigating if the master cylinder from the new car will fit, can't justify spending $2500 on the 302S/R TRW unit.
Steve

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I may be needing this as a solution to my still continuing brake problem.
Let me know how this goes.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Now if the SVE Drifts came in 18x11, I would be on this like a shot.... US$1200 for a set of Forgestar wheels to fit these brakes...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
voodoo child21 said:
Negatory on that, they don't clear at all. PF-01s can't handle the braking forces these generate with R7s or slicks. Be careful with those wheels, seriously. Parts list to follow.
Steve

Well--let's be clear.

We KNOW there are durability issues with the 18x9.5 versions of the Enkei PF01 (cracked spokes, etc.)

On the other hand, I have not had ANY durability/quality issues like that in the past ~2 years with the 18x10.5 versions with all sorts of sticky tires and aggressive braking (aside from a bent wheel here or there due to my "aggressive" driving or poor decision-making), and they fit over the 380mm Brembo race kit (but just barely).

It would be interesting to see if the 10.5 wide PF01 fits over the Ford brake kit.

At any rate, this is great detective/pioneering work for the track dogs here! I'm surprised and impressed that the pad is that much larger on the S550 than the GT500!

voodoo child21 said:
Taco, I will be testing at VIR in February, don't worry they will work just fine. We run race ABS modules so there isn't any Corporate Nannies to mess with the braking anymore. Am also investigating if the master cylinder from the new car will fit, can't justify spending $2500 on the 302S/R TRW unit.
Steve
Steve, I was thinking about this. I bet the 302S/R TRW master cylinder will start to drop in price as the part get's phased out. You should keep an eye out next year.....

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaBOSS said:
Well--let's be clear.

We KNOW there are durability issues with the 18x9.5 versions of the Enkei PF01 (cracked spokes, etc.)

On the other hand, I have not had ANY durability/quality issues like that in the past ~2 years with the 18x10.5 versions with all sorts of sticky tires and aggressive braking (aside from a bent wheel here or there due to my "aggressive" driving or poor decision-making), and they fit over the 380mm Brembo race kit (but just barely).

It would be interesting to see if the 10.5 wide PF01 fits over the Ford brake kit.

Didn't mean to be too Enkei critical but as you noted there have been some failures on the early 9.5" wide wheels. The 10.5" PF-01s did not fit over my '13-'14 GT 500 calipers and therefore won't fit over the S550 calipers. Those magic skeleton race brakes do save some space.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Just making sure we have accurate info :)

And yes--if you tested on the GT500 calipers and no-go, then a bigger caliper definitely isn't going to fit. Thanks for the follow-up and keep up the good work!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
captdistraction said:
I know this setup won't clear the 18x10 SVE drift wheel. First thing I did with my performance pack S550 GT was check the wheel for clearance as I had bad thoughts about flipping the calipers on the S197 and trying a set of these as the pads are massive.
Perhaps I can try with an 18x10.5 PF01 for S&Gs

Is it that simple that the larger the pad surface the better the braking?
I am thinking about clamping force, caliper rigidity, pad rigidity or air circulation between rotor and rim...?
Not mentioning weight which I understand is good for the rotors to absorb energy but not so good for handling and steering...
But it sure looks tempting!
Thank you for bringing it up Steve!

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
voodoo child21 said:
Parts list;

Items Ordered:
1. FR3Z2B120C
Front Disc Brake Caliper Price: $239.73
2. FR3Z2B121C
Front Disc Brake Caliper Price: $252.35
3. FR3Z2068C
Disc Brake Anti-Rattle Clip Price: $74.82
4. DR3Z1125A
Disc Brake Rotor Price: $221.06
There is also a $100 core charge for the calipers so it is about a $906 + 125 for a set of front brake hoses or $1030 upgrade. Note the rotors have to be 2013-14 15" rotors, the '15-'17 rotors are totally different offset.
Steve

Forgive my ignorance, but this is stating that we need the rotors from the 2013 GT500, yes?

Thank you for all of the information thus far, I was just about to buy the 6-piston GT500 upgrade kit so you saved me at least a grand. Once you find the fixed rear four pistons please let us know. Would be amazing if the GT350 F/R setup worked in a similar way...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel