The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Understand that. I'm actually upgrading the wifes brakes she only has standard GT brakes. I have brembos but condering her car hammers on the track i want her to stop

So regading the retrofit of the S550 GT frt Brembo six pots calipers on a S197 car:
- The massive increase in pad surface is not meaning massive increase in piston displacement volume and not inducing any problem regarding the S197 master cylinder designed around much smaller calipers?
- The front to rear braking bias is not such that the rear is barely touching ground and or locking up when hitting the pedal?
Steve?
THANK YOU

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Won't have a full report until after Feb 13 when we run at VIR. I have test driven the car briefly on the street (unregistered race car) and the brakes feel, well like brakes. I have the 2013 GT500 booster and master cylinder on the car along with the -CA ABS module, don't expect any surprises just better pad life and slightly better performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
So given the information provided these rotors will work with the S550 6pots yes? Looking to do this upgrade in the next few weeks...

https://www.steeda.com/dba-t3-4000-series-slotted-front-mustang-shelby-gt500-rotors-13-14-602-dba42127s.html

Thanks!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cholmes1 said:
So given the information provided these rotors will work with the S550 6pots yes? Looking to do this upgrade in the next few weeks...

https://www.steeda.com/dba-t3-4000-series-slotted-front-mustang-shelby-gt500-rotors-13-14-602-dba42127s.html

Thanks!

Yes they will.

voodoo child21 said:
Yes they will.
Aren't those twice the price of stock rotors?

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
VoodooBOSS said:
Aren't those twice the price of stock rotors?

Yes, they very different than OEM solids and are more similar to the rotor that comes on the 302S.

Thanks to those for there rapid response and the OP for the information. I will post photos when the conversion is done.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I currently run the DBA one piece rotors. Bought on sale through KNS.

Observations:
Heavy duty, robust and appear to be well made.
THICK. I cannot add titanium shield with new pads until the pads have worn down. This means I have heat concerns until the pads wear sufficiently to allow shield install.
They wear well. No real wear of cracking after 4 track days.

I will likely return to Giro Discs, new rings for the hats I have or go with a stock like rotor going forward.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I would (and am going to) go with either the Girodisc or Ford Performance 2 piece 15" rotors before running the DBA. My reasoning is this, I have run DBA 4000 rotors on the car and felt no appreciable wear or on track performance over stock Ford blanks for 1/2 the price. What the 2 piece aluminum hat rotors do offer in value is a weight savings of 6 lbs per side. General weight reduction and unsprung mass reduction are worthwhile attributes. They are pricey at about $1000 a set, but one of the advantages of the huge brakes is longer life of both rotors and pads. I ran one new set of Ford iron rotors last season for 11 track days, they are still used as a backup set.
Steve

voodoo child21 said:
Won't have a full report until after Feb 13 when we run at VIR. I have test driven the car briefly on the street (unregistered race car) and the brakes feel, well like brakes. I have the 2013 GT500 booster and master cylinder on the car along with the -CA ABS module, don't expect any surprises just better pad life and slightly better performance.

So whats the update? Any issue's?

voodoo child21 said:
Brakes worked just great before ball joint failure. I recommend this upgrade for S197 and S550 cars looking to go to 15" brakes inexpensively.

Good to hear!, glad your ok. Just waiting for the brake lines to come in so I could begin installation ;D

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Pads are expensive but Carbo XP-24 or GLoc R18's last me 8 track days. And I change pads much earlier than most of my buddies leaving 3-4 mm on the backing plate. Also Ti shields for the GT350 fit these calipers, pad width is the same, GT350 pads fill in more towards the hub with their !5.4" vs 15" rotors.
Steve

Finally got the calipers installed, ran into a couple issues though...

The (Dorman) GT500 brake lines I got weren't lining up straight where the banjo bolt attaches to the caliper. Had to slightly grind down the square area of the brake line so the banjo bolt lined up straight.

The other problem was my stock BOSS wheels didn't clear the calipers (just barely). Was making contact when i tried to spin the wheel once mounted. I double checked everything but still made contact at the top/bottom outer side of the caliper. Had no choice but install a 5/16" spacer in the meantime. Gonna try a 3mm and 5mm spacer to see which one sits closest without making contact.

Other than that the brakes work great! took it out for a drive and didn't have any issues. Could definitely feel the difference from high speed braking, bites harder with less effort

TMO Supporting Vendors