The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Glad to hear El Jefe. I always run spacers with my Team Dynamics 18x10 or Boss 302S 19x10 wheels so didn't realize stock Boss wheels would need to be spaced out to clear. Also I run aftermarket braided brake hoses that have a round hose end so didn't have that issue either. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El_Jefe_302 said:
Finally got the calipers installed, ran into a couple issues though...

The (Dorman) GT500 brake lines I got weren't lining up straight where the banjo bolt attaches to the caliper. Had to slightly grind down the square area of the brake line so the banjo bolt lined up straight.

The other problem was my stock BOSS wheels didn't clear the calipers (just barely). Was making contact when i tried to spin the wheel once mounted. I double checked everything but still made contact at the top/bottom outer side of the caliper. Had no choice but install a 5/16" spacer in the meantime. Gonna try a 3mm and 5mm spacer to see which one sits closest without making contact.

Other than that the brakes work great! took it out for a drive and didn't have any issues. Could definitely feel the difference from high speed braking, bites harder with less effort

I can get Goodridge to make a S197 Hose with the S550 Fitting. This was one area where we were not sure. The S550 end has an offset banjo bolt hole, I believe the Shelby uses a more centered hole. Edited because I struggle with quotes...

Any updates from anyone else that has completed this upgrade? Curious if the stock S197 master cylinder is sufficient or if needs to be upgraded as well? everyone running stock rear brakes?

No info yet, but I just ordered Steve's "kit" yesterday. It was $1018 out the door. I still need to order pads, lines, fluid, and spacers. I might do the front upgrade in conjunction with an upgrade to the GT500 rear rotor. Otherwise, I have stock wheels, master cylinder, and ABS module. Right now the target is to do this around the first week of April. In my usual way, I will document the 'f out of everything. Lots of pictures.

What did we conclude wrt the best braided line option? Tim? The Goodridge sound promising.

Any hard data regarding stock wheel fitment? Will a 1/4" spacer work? Other sizes? Is there a recommended spacer brand or source?

Special recognition to Steve for this amazing find! I have avoided this site for a couple of years, because I knew it would cost me money if I ever peeked in here for a look. Well, it was this thread that drew me in like a moth to a flame. Thanks, Steve. I either love you or hate you. ;)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
I just installed this kit on the wifes car https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2120AK/Mustang-GT500-Front-Brake-Upgrade-Kit-05-14

Every was perfect and matched right cost a little more than Steve's kit.

@Jimmy Pribble welcome back. I thought I read the stock Boss wheels won't clear those brakes but hopefully a spacer is all that's needed.

Been driving around for a week with the new brakes and haven't encountered any issues regarding the master cylinder or Abs system, switched to a 5mm spacer and fits just right imo

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
smallblock said:
Powdered coated S550 6 pot calipers are going on shortly:

What side of the banjo block has to be shaved down? I'd like to do it before I pull everything apart.

Thanks

33212583185_84b78e8701_c.jpg Untitled by smallblock, on Flickr
Wow, that looks pretty damn bad ass....

Honestly can't remember haha! Pretty sure was the front side, opposite of the hose end. If u try to line up the holes u should see where it needs to be shaved a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to be a pedant, but can a mod put this thread under Brakes instead of Suspension? No wonder I cant ever find it without using the search. Thanks!

My parts start arriving today so photos and updates will be coming shortly.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel