The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installed my new CF Style Dash Kit

I finally was able to get some pics up of my CF dash kit. A while ago a new vendor approached me and we used my car as a test subject for fitment of a new kit. BM Auto is an over seas company setting up shop here in the states now.

The kit is a CF style, not a vinyl wrap but fully molded pieces that fit perfectly over the OEM portions. The kit has the entire center console, upper dash, gauge cluster surround, airbag covers, door handle surrounds door switch overlays and light switch cover.

The fitment ended up excellent, I couldn't be happier. The weave pattern is excellent as well. This is a very well designed kit.

and on to some pics on my car and the other test fit car...
0goodcf_zpsce4d0fb1.jpg
00_zpsf3e1cb14.jpg
0t3_zps5da972bf.jpg
0t2_zpscdd9cf25.jpg
0t8_zpsbb8b33cb.jpg
0t5_zps0a04e675.jpg
0t11_zpsd16bab24.jpg
0t10_zpseb6e9d63.jpg
IMG_5806_zps7d03493b.jpg
IMG_5824_zps7152c5b7.jpg
IMG_5815_zps5a4a9008.jpg

I think a group buy might be starting up on these soon too, feel free to contact me if you have questions.
 
So its not CF but its not vinyl? Anyways it looks good, how much did it cost? I thought about getting the trucarbon ones but they dont have the whole dash so this would be great. And whats that blue lining in the first couple pics?
 
USNjocson said:
So its not CF but its not vinyl? Anyways it looks good, how much did it cost? I thought about getting the trucarbon ones but they dont have the whole dash so this would be great. And whats that blue lining in the first couple pics?

These are a vacuum molded fiberglass with the vinyl style material formed together. If you ever look at Trucarbon pieces up close, there are gaps and / or slight fitment concerns due to the thickness of the clear gel coat on top of the CF.

The blue piping is just that, upholstery piping purchased on ebay actually
 
LP Heaven said:
Looks like that mod magically changes your manual to an auto as well... thats cool !

HAHA, yeah, special mods happen when you install this kit lol

The kits are available for auto or manual, the auto pics are of the other test car from SEMA this past year.
 

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
byronj said:
Looks OK but adds weight

Because of nutrional control and exercise, I have gone from 202 to 182 lbs in the last 18 months.

The kit (or several of them!) would not cause me any weight penalty!

That said, the kit is not for me...
 
2,026
822
Bay Area
four-walling said:
Because of nutrional control and exercise, I have gone from 202 to 182 lbs in the last 18 months.

The kit (or several of them!) would not cause me any weight penalty!

That said, the kit is not for me...

Haha good man. When I used to race streetbikes losing weight was the cheapest HP gain. Ive lost 20 lbs since I got my Boss and still trying to lose 5-10 more so I can compensate for the brake duct kit. ;D
 
LOL I lost 20 myself since June and with the thought of weight reduction in the BOSS. I thought that this car was making me do crazy shiznit but I realized I was long gone before i got the car :p
 
boro92 said:
is this available in separate pieces? ie: for center console only?
Did you see my post from SEMA?

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6520.msg98015#msg98015
 
I did see that post but I've seen some Tru Carbon kits in the past up close and there were fitment issues in some of the joints or where consoles meet each other (this is due to the overall thickness and it not being a dry carbon vacuum mold).

The only way to get perfect fitment is to have the pieces be very thin and with real CF, the only way to really do that is with very expensive vacuum formed pieces. Some of the JDM companies I used to export to and import from when I worked for Nissan used a dry carbon thin weave without any fiberglass backing. The pieces were VERY thin and fit mostly well, but they were also astronomical in price. Plus they took nearly 7 months to special make to order.

The price for this entire kit is $200 shipped , cannot beat that price!
Also, here is their overseas web site:
http://www.bmautohk.com

Here is the email for my contact, his name is Lee, [email protected] feel free to contact him directly for pricing, kit information if you're interested in only a few pieces and not the entire thing etc...
 
If you have ever had to remove stuck on applique's from dash parts like we had to do, you will never add stick on's again. Last summer we had ordered a carbon fiber dash "kit" from American Muscle. It was not the one they push now, but I noticed that they still have them on clearance. It is a gloss coated rubber type panels that have carbon fiber infused in it. Looking at it once installed, it does look pretty good. Problem is, within a short time, it starts to peel up from head and warp. It leaves a HORRIBLE residue and on many panels the adhesive tape itself that you can only try to get off with rubbing your thumb or finger on. Alcohol is no good and solvents only damage what it is on. NIGHTMARE to get it off of everything. We went with real carbon fiber from Trucarbon. You do have to work to get some things perfect, but it is not difficult to do. We have nearly every interior piece and only any issues were with one piece and we overcame that pretty easily.
 
Deerslayer said:
If you have ever had to remove stuck on applique's from dash parts like we had to do, you will never add stick on's again. Last summer we had ordered a carbon fiber dash "kit" from American Muscle. It was not the one they push now, but I noticed that they still have them on clearance. It is a gloss coated rubber type panels that have carbon fiber infused in it. Looking at it once installed, it does look pretty good. Problem is, within a short time, it starts to peel up from head and warp. It leaves a HORRIBLE residue and on many panels the adhesive tape itself that you can only try to get off with rubbing your thumb or finger on. Alcohol is no good and solvents only damage what it is on. NIGHTMARE to get it off of everything. We went with real carbon fiber from Trucarbon. You do have to work to get some things perfect, but it is not difficult to do. We have nearly every interior piece and only any issues were with one piece and we overcame that pretty easily.

This kit will never have those bubbling issues you speak of, that is due to glosscoat chemicals not binding well with whatever the material is in or under it. This kit doesn't use any such coating, and is already UV protective.

Real CF parts have gelcoats or glosscoats and use chemicals in a resin when the parts are molded. Those chemical properties always have a chance of bubbling down the road depending on how well things are made.

Not everyone can afford real CF parts. In all my previous cars, I went real CF on everything and spent tons of money having one off parts made as well. So I can 100% appreciate good quality CF parts. But they're not for everyone.

Also, I've removed test pieces from my car and they remove extremely easily and smoothly without leaving any residue if you need to remove the kit in the future.
 
I hear ya, not meaning my above post about your kit, I am just warning anyone from buying that gloss CF kit from American Muscle. It will ruin your interior. The residue was so bad on the console, it was impossible to remove without taking the finish off. Had we not gone with real carbon fiber replacement pieces, I would have had to buy a new oem console. The 3M type tape backing they used covered the entire pieces and bubbled within months.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top