The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Introducing "Project 6GR" Spun Forged wheels For S550 Mustang & GT350

Which Color Wheel Would You Prefer

• Gloss Black

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • Matte Black

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Flat Graphite

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin
Re: Introducing "Project 6GR" Spun Forged wheels For S550 Mustang & GT350

Moto said:
Have you test fit the fronts yet? If so how far do the OEM non-R studs extend from the seats?

I have not. I'll test fit front and rears tomorrow after work and get some measurements.

What can I do to help you guys out with your concerns?

As stated before in previous posts factory lugs dont work because the seat is way too large so hence why a aftermarket lug nuts needed for the wheels.

The studs on the R are 3" long thats why the need either much longer closed lugs or open ended lugs.

We're trying to maximize the surface area between the nut cone and the taper on the wheel for track use. We understand the dynamics and the need for the smaller nuts but if there are options that maximize that contact area that's what we want to use.

VoodooBOSS said:
We're trying to maximize the surface area between the nut cone and the taper on the wheel for track use. We understand the dynamics and the need for the smaller nuts but if there are options that maximize that contact area that's what we want to use.

Ill look further into it for you guys, for now the 19mm lug we use acorn seat is giving a nice contact patch so I have that confirmed, ill check further for all.

Austin

I measured the lug holes at ~20.25mm wide and about 52mm deep from the bottom of the seat up to the wheel face.

With the wheel mounted, the end of the studs are inset about 20mm from the face of the wheel so they extend about 32mm from the base of the seat. (The tuner nuts that came with the wheels are just over 35mm long)

Here's a few pics. These have been torqued down with two lug nuts. For reference, that is a standard Harbor Freight 19mm impact wrench socket over one of the nuts.

nfWNDx9.jpg
lP7hQkN.jpg
9yJJk9A.jpg

I think you got the hole diameter off a bit. Maybe 25mm? Thank you for the stud length measurement. This means the R-studs will extend about 21mm from the wheel. I will most likely use the included open nuts and then get a second closed nut for the top for cosmetics.

Chop, curious of your impressions on the contact patch of the supplied lug nuts for track use now that you have the wheel mounted?

It's too hot here to do anything else so I broke out my calipers and took some measurements.

From left to right:

Craftsman skinny 13/16 socket - 28.5mm
Gorilla 13/16 or 22mm socket without red plastic sleeve - 27.7mm
Gorilla 3/4" or 19mm socket without green plastic sleeve - 25.8mm

14x1.5 open tuner lug nut - 23.2mm
1/2 x 20 open tuner lug nut - 21.7mm
1/2 x 20 open Ford Racing lug nut - 24.7mm

And for those concerned about the weight I have a 1" AL spacer and it weighs 2 lbs. 6 oz. So the lack of offset on the front wheels adds a lot of weight.

C5A55216-D13C-40EB-8064-9D29551FAEB9_zps8dtd2yjm.jpg

Austin

Moto said:
I think you got the hole diameter off a bit. Maybe 25mm? Thank you for the stud length measurement. This means the R-studs will extend about 21mm from the wheel. I will most likely use the included open nuts and then get a second closed nut for the top for cosmetics.

You're right, that should have said 28.25mm. The socket that was in there was a hair over 27mm.

Austin
VoodooBOSS said:
@ChopSui how much clearance do you have between the caliper and the barrel of the wheel? It looks like a lot.

I didn't measure it but just eyeballing it, it looks pretty close to the stock clearance - maybe a millimeter or so less.

OEM wheel
1sFK9QE.jpg

R-Spec wheel
JO28P27.jpg

ChopSui said:
I didn't measure it but just eyeballing it, it looks pretty close to the stock clearance - maybe a millimeter or so less.

OEM wheel
1sFK9QE.jpg

R-Spec wheel
JO28P27.jpg

Thanks for the image for comparison !

Clearance comes out to be right the same. We checked and rechecked and rechecked on our test fit to ensure this.

Jim32084 said:
Paul please let me know when they ship to me!! Also, did you include the "Ford" center cap in my order?

Tracking # will be provided, as for ford caps I have not provided that for anyone as I cant actually, but you can order those online and or from a local dealership sir.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel