The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 KazarS197 (Mark's) Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Just a heads up for anyone with an S197 with a big brake upgrade. FlowOne F2's 18 x 11 50 ET will not clear the calipers even with 25 MM spacers. For fun , I would never do that , even tried stacking an additional 15 mm spacer - 40mm total and still do not clear. The FlowOnes F2 's fit S550s with the big brakes though. I thought it was the same kind of thing as Apexes fit both models. Boy was I wrong... Anyone have a set of 4 18 x 11 52 ET they want to part with?

Last edited:
MGW shifter installed today! I can't believe the crap that was in there - stuff on the right 1st pic. Thank you @JeffV8 for selling me your used one! It wass basically brand new. Absolutely fantastic! Nice true, tight , clicky gears. Some of the best cash I have put in this car.20230422_090223.jpg20230422_104657.jpg

I bought the MGW shifter yrs ago but never got it installed......It's sitting in the shipping box right beside me as I type........Installing it is something I can't handle and I never found anybody I could trust to do it...........so that is that....................1682188848366.png

I bought the MGW shifter yrs ago but never got it installed......It's sitting in the shipping box right beside me as I type........Installing it is something I can't handle and I never found anybody I could trust to do it...........so that is that....................View attachment 85840
It's really not a bad job. I followed the installation video and had no issues. I do have the newest version for a S197 which made install easier.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I bought the MGW shifter yrs ago but never got it installed......It's sitting in the shipping box right beside me as I type........Installing it is something I can't handle and I never found anybody I could trust to do it...........so that is that....................
You can always have free labor at my shop Bob. Just buy the Pepsi. (That's my special Friends and Family rate). I've installed three so far. Fairly easy.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The MGW shift is the best improvement in driving satisfaction you can buy. I have had two MGW's on my S197. The 2nd gen and the X-spec. There was nothing wrong with the 2nd gen I only replaced it while the trans was out. The stock Tremec shifter on the Magnum XL isn't bad, but it isn't an MGW. I will be buying another one soon.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Recommended change for all S550s ( GT 350, Mach 1 , GTs, etc. ) because even with the Tremec it gives the shifter a shorter throw, it's tighter, and it makes a missed shift almost impossible. For the S550s with MT-82s it is turns the linkage positive enough to make a grown man cry!

Recommended change for all S550s ( GT 350, Mach 1 , GTs, etc. ) because even with the Tremec it gives the shifter a shorter throw, it's tighter, and it makes a missed shift almost impossible. For the S550s with MT-82s it is turns the linkage positive enough to make a grown man cry!
We need to get MGW as a vendor here. Their customer service is great. The one I got was for a S550 M82. Shipped it to them to get reworked for a S197. Something like 70 bucks later with my shipping I had a converted and gone through shifter. The only problem I had was FedEx kept trying to drop off after hours. Once they got they shipped 24 hours later.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Is this a recommended change for a S550 also?
Yes. The factory shifter is better on the 550 than the 197, but. The shorter throw, crisper feel and self centering features on the MGW make it a must do mod.

I don't think I'm real happy with g-locs. These are R-12s with 4.5 track days. A bit over half pad left and they are shot. I picked up another set for cheap so will give them one more try. My friend said heat could be doing it but am running Vorshlag deflector plates and saw cracking some cracking after 2 days . I guess the cracks went deeper than it looked. The ones on the right were on the driver's side then moved to the passager after I saw the cracks. It's not my calipers. The pads are wore even in and out in both sides. The EBC RP-1s that I won here and new rotors go on after the new set of 12s go.
20230509_182203.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I don't think I'm real happy with g-locs. These are R-12s with 4.5 track days. A bit over half pad left and they are shot. I picked up another set for cheap so will give them one more try. My friend said heat could be doing it but am running Vorshlag deflector plates and saw cracking some cracking after 2 days . I guess the cracks went deeper than it looked. The ones on the right were on the driver's side then moved to the passager after I saw the cracks. It's not my calipers. The pads are wore even in and out in both sides. The EBC RP-1s that I won here and new rotors go on after the new set of 12s go.
View attachment 86160 I have gone through several sets of R12's on the front with the 14" 4 piston Brembo set up and had a little bit of cracking by the time the pads were in need of a change, but never anything like that. I was getting pretty high brake temp when coming off track and went to R16's. Did you try sending the pics to Danny at GLoc to see if he had any ideas?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
My car is similar to yours power wise and I previously used the R12s on my 4-pot Brembos. They did not crack like yours but I wasn't happy with the initial bite. The Powerstop Track Day pads that I used before them had a better bite but screamed when braking from 140 or so. And boy were they dirty.

I then went to the R16 and they've been great. Great bite and no spalling. Very thin hairline cracks here & there. I just had another 5 session track day yesterday. I haven't taken them off yet but I'll let you know when I do.

Depending how many sessions you have per track day only going through half the thickness is pretty good. But they shouldn't spall like that.

Try contacting G-Loc and see what they say.

TMO Supporting Vendors