The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Keeping the banjo bolt from backing out if the caliper...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I can now document 4 anecdotes of the banjo bolt backing out of a brembo caliper, brembo brand ajd knock off alike. I also found one just lose enough to have a drip on a rear caliper. Always using new washers too...

Is there a locking version? Put some nylon fisjing wire on a standard bolt?

I'm out if ideas

sfo
New bolts? Can help. If the aluminum caliper threads are poor you can timesert them or maybe go up one size to the next banjo bolt

also make sure the line cannot move to keep torquing on the banjo bolt

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Learned a new thing. Time-Sert is a brand of thread repair insert. I've always called those things by another brand name, Heli-Coil. Though it looks like Time-Sert is a solid bushing, while Heil-Coils are hardened wire.

In the V6L
I can now document 4 anecdotes of the banjo bolt backing out of a brembo caliper, brembo brand ajd knock off alike. I also found one just lose enough to have a drip on a rear caliper. Always using new washers too...

Is there a locking version? Put some nylon fisjing wire on a standard bolt?

I'm out if ideas
Is your problem on the front or the rear? The other question is "how tight are you torqueing them?" Ford wants 30 ft-lbs on the front banjo bolt and 35 on the rear. That sounds like a lot, but that's the spec, and if they're that tight it's hard to imagine them coming loose.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Is your problem on the front or the rear? The other question is "how tight are you torqueing them?" Ford wants 30 ft-lbs on the front banjo bolt and 35 on the rear. That sounds like a lot, but that's the spec, and if they're that tight it's hard to imagine them coming loose.
Thr problem is the front brembos

heli coil is not the same, heli coils are belched from the pits of hell and will pull themselves out at the least opportune moment. Time certs have a step that will seat them, thread certs are similar. If you use heli coils, it's sort of like hitting yourself in the face with a hammer.. it feels better when you stop.
That being said, I have found those threads stripped out, but other than that, I've never found them to just come loose on the track. The most logical reason would seem to be that the threads are worn/damaged

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
They use Helicoils in aircraft and not used for repair but rather to strengthen the material they go into. In the case of aircraft, where weight is at a premium, they used them often in aluminum sheet or castings to prevent pullout. Solid wall inserts are better indeed but add weight and require a larger tapped mounting hole. Nothing wrong with using these wire coil inserts for automotive repair either. Another brand is Kato inserts and they been sponsoring motorcycle and drag racing for years. These teams wouldn't bother with Kato if they didn't trust their product. The owner of Kato is one of the rare guys I've let take my Boss for a spin!

TMO Supporting Vendors