The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From NASA Mid Atlantic's Fall Finale on Summit Point Main Course.
1:27.96 recorded with Harry's Lap Timer.

The only modifications on my Boss 302 were Hawk DTC-60 pads (front & rear), and ATE Super Blue fluid. The car is otherwise completely stock including tires and alignment.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/7dA7PPLuec4[/youtube]

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
Getting in before folks start reporting their times on the "new" VIR full course.

My best "old" VIR full course time is 2:17.160 as recorded by TrackAddict on my iPhone using the iPhone's internal GPS. My BOSS had a modified chassis, suspension, brakes, exhaust and slicks at the time.

Looking forward to running the updated track in the new year: widened corners - 1, 2, 3, 4, between 6 and 7, 10 and 11 (the oak tree turn). Half of the front straight is wider and the North paddock has asphalt instead of the kitty litter gravel! It's going to be a new track! I can't wait!

I'm surprised, I thought that they Boss might manage better than a 2:10 at VIR Full Course on the now "old" configuration. Particularly on slicks or some Hoosier R6s. The car is powerful, of that there is no doubt, and with my limited street driving it isn't horribly far away from my race car with respect to some basic handling characteristics. It is different though, and damn sure heavier. I think I'll scale the Boss this morning and see where it sits on weight.

I'm looking forward to taking the Boss out to the track in 2014 and seeing what she'll do.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
NASA TTA record is a 2:01.xx by a C6 Z06 so I think a 2:10 with a track prepped Boss is pretty quick.
A former member of this site ran consistent 2:12.xxs las spring at the Superfest, I have only managed a 2:18.47 with my car, understeer an issue but driver mod is required for maximum performance.
Steve

Here is another midwest track to add to the list:

BIR short track (2.5 mile) 1:43.6
BIR long track (3.1 mile) 1:51.3

Boss 302 LS suspension/tune/areo/slicks
Recorded with my Traqmate

Far from the times that alot of guys here can drive, but here's my personal best at Daytona. 2:15.3, stock suspension, HP+ pads and Conti takes offs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnBAQrLXRXo&hd=1[/youtube]

2012 Boss 302 S , Pirelli race tires , Portland International Raceway 1:12.2 (without festival ) , Pacific Raceways 1:27.3 , Mission Raceway 1:09.43

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Just a heads up to whomever is compiling the data, as you have Gary listed as stock, and he has been the most forthcoming to list all his mods ( headers, suspension, splitters,etc. ) so we could all learn from the improvements he made. Many of us have waited to see what works before we purchased parts, and alot of that has to do with Gary's adventures in modifications.

A few of us had gotten into the low 1:36s at MPH, but after Gary scorched out the 1:34 , we had our chins on the ground bowing over and over, " We are not worthy!!" Truly a brilliant drive and it would not surprise me if it stands for years there as a low 1:37 was considered a benchmark time for years - a 1:34 is on another Planet. For those of us that run there , it is hard to express how unbelievably quick this is in a pony car.

Bill Pemberton said:
Just a heads up to whomever is compiling the data, as you have Gary listed as stock, and he has been the most forthcoming to list all his mods ( headers, suspension, splitters,etc. ) so we could all learn from the improvements he made. Many of us have waited to see what works before we purchased parts, and alot of that has to do with Gary's adventures in modifications.

A few of us had gotten into the low 1:36s at MPH, but after Gary scorched out the 1:34 , we had our chins on the ground bowing over and over, " We are not worthy!!" Truly a brilliant drive and it would not surprise me if it stands for years there as a low 1:37 was considered a benchmark time for years - a 1:34 is on another Planet. For those of us that run there , it is hard to express how unbelievably quick this is in a pony car.
Bill, I'm blushing and humbled reading this from a REALLY fast old man. I was just fortunate to have had the planets align and hang that time up there for now....until you, Kevin, John and one of these young guys knock it off :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Gary,

I know what I and others run in Vipers ( time wise) and I really think that 1:34 will stand for years and years. Frigging perfect run, but then
you are always fast and proud to have a fellow Midwesterner hold the top rung. Told some buddies about the time who run Porsches and Vettes and they want to know what the big trick was for a Stang to run that quick -- just told them it was because it was a Comp Orange Boss, ha,ha. Seriously , told them the driver was just more skilled than they were -- got a few laughs out of that one, though may have bruised a few egos, hehe.

steveespo said:
NASA TTA record is a 2:01.xx by a C6 Z06 so I think a 2:10 with a track prepped Boss is pretty quick.
A former member of this site ran consistent 2:12.xxs las spring at the Superfest, I have only managed a 2:18.47 with my car, understeer an issue but driver mod is required for maximum performance.
Steve

A laptime of 2:10 is for sure quick with a relatively heavy car, but somehow I figured it might be faster. I've run 2:15.x in my <200 rwhp SCCA ITS V6 Mustang, and it has 2:14s in it with driver and setup development. But even if 2:10s is sort of where it is at for a limit, if I could run anywhere close to that I think it'll make me happy for a driver and occasional track car. The more I drive this Boss the more I'm impressed with what Ford has delivered.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Ron Earp said:
A laptime of 2:10 is for sure quick with a relatively heavy car, but somehow I figured it might be faster. I've run 2:15.x in my <200 rwhp SCCA ITS V6 Mustang, and it has 2:14s in it with driver and setup development. But even if 2:10s is sort of where it is at for a limit, if I could run anywhere close to that I think it'll make me happy for a driver and occasional track car. The more I drive this Boss the more I'm impressed with what Ford has delivered.
[pdf]http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/NASA_Mid_Atlantic_Region/2013%20-%20Official%20Results/Overall/February_2013_VIR_Results_Overall/Thunder_Sun_Qualifying_Results_Overall_February_VIR_2013.pdf[/pdf]
These are NASA Qualifying times from this February. I ran with Roddey Sterling and Dean Martin in the Rehagen/Moon Pie AI Mustangs later in May and it was a blast. Looks like 2:10 is pretty good and 2:06 is very competitive for a full on race prepped Boss S or R car.
Steve

Bill Pemberton said:

Awesome!

Congrats Gary

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel