The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Set a personal best at my home track this week during a race.

Motorsport Ranch Cresson Texas 1.7CCW
1:20:6
Restricted power 364 hp
Toyo RR 275/18
302S with a Griggs Watts link and TONS of understeer :mad:

smittytx said:
Set a personal best at my home track this week during a race.

Motorsport Ranch Cresson Texas 1.7CCW
1:20:6
Restricted power 364 hp
Toyo RR 275/18
302S with a Griggs Watts link and TONS of understeer :mad:
Congrats smitty! I take it the Watts link was on for its maiden voyage? Did you add their torque arm too?

cloud9 said:
Congrats smitty! I take it the Watts link was on for its maiden voyage? Did you add their torque arm too?
Thanks ;D

Yes, it was the maiden voyage and the first time on the new class tire (Toyo RR). That's a really bad idea FYI.

I have the torque arm but I didn't instal it. Not sure it will work with my exhaust, and it's heavy.

Mods as in sig file. PSS 265/40 front, 295/35 rear

Road Atlanta 1:52.2
Atlanta Motorsports Park 1:40.6
Barber (damp track) 1:52.8

Bob said:
Nice, have any video?
Bob, I looked for you today but I guess somehow I miss you. I talked to five different Mustang owners, but none named Bob. No video of my best run as the Iphone ran out of storage space. I do have some video that I'll post. I improved on my time this afternoon as well. Long drive home from DFW to Shreveport I'm beat.

MSR2-40-6530March_zps7a59cf64.png

Bill Pemberton said:
The new tire has got to have alot better stick than the old R1s, but how did they last for you Smitty?

It's hard to tell because I have a ton of push right now. So far, it seems you've got to be careful with them during the race. Better grip, but if you throw the car around to much, it is very easy to get them too hot. After that it's tough to get them back while trying to pass or not get passed. As far as how long they last, so far no one is very impressed. http://www.aicmctexas.com/showthread.php?5023-Toyo-RR-costs

FWIW, SpecE30 switched from the RA1 to the RR last year. Same size. They seem to have better lateral grip, probably due to stiffer sidewalls. Straightline grip was about the same. Lap times have been pretty close to the same as well.

They aint hoosiers in terms of grip, but they seem to be consistent.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I was wondering since friends racing in Spec Miata said they were running quite a bit faster, but going through tires alot faster, also. Wondered if the compounding was the same for the heavier cars??

We all thought that the RRs would be faster than the RAs. My region just hasn't seen that. The 944S guys run a 225, and were getting better times. I can't imagine the bigger rubber would be a different compound. Our fastest/most consistent driver was seeing almost identical times out of stickers and 3 weekend tires.

TMO Supporting Vendors