The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Best laps in the 21 Cars at Watkins Glen with Black Boss
Red 21 ('16) 2:15.52
White 21 ('11) 2:14.38

Both on Conti 285/305 Slicks and using Carbotech XP24 pads up front. The '16 is a very capable car with only the tires pads and the GT350 manifold on it. With some lower and stiffer spring and competent dampers it will be quicker than the '11. Also much quieter. Nick of course is the quickest in the 'R' but White 21 was the faster of the two approaching the Bus Stop at 151.4 mph vs. 148. NASCAR blade on the back helps with top speed. Red 21 made a respectable 146 mph, once again clean aero, that is going to change hopefully before Mid Ohio so I can try and whittle down Black Magic's, I mean Black Boss' advantage.
Steve

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
That man, (Nick), can Drive!

One thing for sure, I would total my Boss at Watkins Glen, as there's not much room error on that track, and I need lots of room for error.

Great video and thanks for posting.

Have a great race season,
302 Hi Pro.

New personal best at Motorsports Ranch Cresson TX 1.7 CCW 1:25.550.

Car is a mild daily driver on 315 falkens

http://youtu.be/5cOHKYNgwbo

MSRC 1.3 CCW Falken 615Ks 1:09.6. Love the up and down nature of this little track
http://youtu.be/fsv_0mXmPfU

MSRC 1.7 CW 315 Rival-S 1:28.6

MSRC 3.1 CCW 315 Rival-S 2:31.3

Nice driving, have you ever considered an Auto-BLiP?

El_Tortuga said:
MSRC 1.3 CCW Falken 615Ks 1:09.6. Love the up and down nature of this little track
http://youtu.be/fsv_0mXmPfU

MSRC 1.7 CW 315 Rival-S 1:28.6

MSRC 3.1 CCW 315 Rival-S 2:31.3
Awesome driving, awesome sound! Handling those late apexes like a champ!

VoodooBOSS said:
Maybe the audio was off when I watched the video but it sounded like a couple of the blips were off. My apologies if they weren't. :)

I think the 1.3 lap is pretty clean. Video/sound is really right to me unless its a youtube thing.

On the 1.7 I'm having to blip really hard coming to rattlesnake from the front stretch (5-3 shift while braking from about 109 to low to mid 40 mph range). I noticed this weekend I was still rolling a more than I'd like when clutch out into 3rd so it zings back to mid 6xxx rpms. Would like to be a little later with the downshift. A lot going on, but I'm not upsetting the car. I do use engine braking at the tail of this maneuver for rotation and when converting from slowing due to braking to slowing due to sliding. Tend to be a little excessive with the blip going to little bend (5-4 downshift) but this particular lap looks pretty good to me. 4th is pretty forgiving.

smallblock said:
Awesome driving, awesome sound! Handling those late apexes like a champ!

Thanks. I had assumed that the little 1.3 circuit would favor the light/pure handling cars, but that's really not the case. Its got a great amount of acceleration (hairpin to toilet bowl, toilet bowl to radii, radii leads to the long straight). And of course, hard braking into hairpin, radii, and start of the downhill roller-coaster. Love that Coyote version of straight line handling.

I'm heading to Watkins Glen in a couple weeks and was wondering what to expect with lap times after the re-pave. Has anyone been there this year with the same / similar setup they ran in the past? All my prior times are with Conti's. This year I'll be on Pirelli's so my data will be skewed.

Sean

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Hey Sean I was just there this past week and your gonna love it.
It's smooth as glass!! A lot of grip , so chased pressure all the first day, very high!I ran there last year with Michelin SS,but with bad weather both times.
This year I had the addition of NT01 all around and my times were quicker.Hope that kinda helped.
Goin back with Pheonix CMR in June is that when your goin?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cobrarob said:
http://youtu.be/Nv4CQHmNjL4
Soory about the shaky vid and non sync on speed( hopefully hides
a lot of my mistakes). This was my best time at the Glen

2:19.xx??

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cobrarob said:
Hey AB,just squeezed by... Lol
Did I forget something? Rob

What's the full time, so I can include it? Video ends too quick! :)

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
ArizonaBOSS said:
What's the full time, so I can include it? Video ends too quick! :)

Cool, thanks. The timer said 2:19.58.
Another note, I have the Fays on my car, seeing you have it
also any help on adjustment? It was in the first hole up from
the center position. The rear felt awesome but the front felt like
it was pushing in corners( hence the pics of my tires in another post.
Any advice would help, thanks Rob

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cobrarob said:
Cool, thanks. The timer said 2:19.58.
Another note, I have the Fays on my car, seeing you have it
also any help on adjustment? It was in the first hole up from
the center position. The rear felt awesome but the front felt like
it was pushing in corners( hence the pics of my tires in another post.
Any advice would help, thanks Rob

I used to have mine in the second-to-the-lowest position, but recently moved it to the same position you are in now to try and balance the car a bit better.
Unfortunately, I was at an unfamiliar track and didn't get a chance to do a real comparison vs. somewhere I'd driven before.

I'd probably leave the watts where you have it now and drive it a bit more, but the additional supercharger, intercooler, and fluid weight you are carrying up-front with the GT500 is definitely going to make the car more prone to understeer. At least you have the aluminum block.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel