The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2015 Ford Mustang GT base w/ PP
Track/Course: Daytona Speedway - 24 Hour Course- Group 3 (ZO6/GT3-4 Land)
Best Lap Time: 2:19 (Maybe a 2:18) Logged with Race Capture - Beta
Brake Pads: G-LOC R10/R8
Tires (Size & Model): 285/35-19 BFG Comp 2 -19X10 Square
Suspension: stock, camber bolts
Other Mods: Brake Cooling, Rear Differential Cooler, Mishimoto Intake Tube, Ford Performance X-Pipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYVDEeGxNBY&feature=youtu.be

Notes: Brakes were awesome all weekend, 30 minute sessions hitting 140-145MPH into the Bus Stop and 150mph at start finish. Started developing cracks in some cheap rotors I had so I threw the Ford ones back on for Sunday. Barely any pad wear. Plenty of pad for my tire.

Tires seemed to have transformed into some super sticky tire late Saturday/Sunday, still excellent life left, very little wear. Played with pressures, ran 35 cold to come off 40-42 hot. I noticed some center wear the first day because I went out at 37 (Because Daytona) and the two pound drop kept them in the 39-40 range for most of the session, just peaking at the end.

First time in the car since April so two days of learning how to drive(shifting mostly). Struggled here and there but 5 ended up being my throw away corner, just too much to process so I left it in 4th through there. Spent most of my time in my Mirrors due to 100-200 more HP closing rates, fully caged and tires Porsches are much faster. Felt good to be much more competitive in the infield portion because apparently computers can only do so much.

Spoke with the head of Audi Club and he told me it will be the first weekend of December next year and they are planning a Banquet. He was meeting with the track today to work out next years event. First Class operation with ACA and HOD. Mark your calenders and start saving for it.

I'm curious what the fast cars were turning at Daytona when you were there? Last weekend was my first visit to the track, so I only have my own laptimes for reference...

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
treynor said:
I'm curious what the fast cars were turning at Daytona when you were there? Last weekend was my first visit to the track, so I only have my own laptimes for reference...

I was only there Friday. Pace setters in the fastest group were P Car Cup cars. My guess is they were running high 1:50's.

My best lap was a 2:03.57 (Stock 350R with Hoos R7's):

https://youtu.be/p7bKqp5tGL8

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Black Boss said:
I was only there Friday. Pace setters in the fastest group were P Car Cup cars. My guess is they were running high 1:50's.

My best lap was a 2:03.57 (Stock 350R with Hoos R7's):

https://youtu.be/p7bKqp5tGL8
<Love it!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
VoodooBOSS said:
I bet @treynor was putting down faster lap times. Really.
Faster than Kimi, with a passenger, in a street car? Most likely yes. From the lap fragment, it looks like he was on track for around a 2:00, I was doing 1:52s with a passenger onboard. My wife was running high 1:4x with a passenger in her FXX-K.

Utah
PJ%20Mustang%20Oct%20NASA.jpg

New guy here, Zajac. I was not sure how to post lap times in the Track Lap Time Chart. So I thought I would add it here and maybe some moderator adds the info to the chart?

2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition, NASA TT3, 3863lb with driver, Miller MotorSport Park, Salt Lake City/Tooele, Utah, East track BFG Rival 295/35/18 1:49.6

Outer Loop, BFG Rival 295/35/18 2:13.5

There are few tracks in the Utah area so Miller Motorsport Park/UMC may be my only Lap Time posts.

zajac
PJ%20Mustang%20Oct%20NASA.jpg

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Sebring, GT350R Stock with PSC2's: 2:23.86

Also ran at night, under limited lighting about 3.5 secs slower. First time running under lights -- it was a blast! Speed seems much higher as you have no long field vision. Also many reference points that you rely on in daylight (trees, distant landmarks) just are not visible. Unfortunately the in-car video is too dark to be of much interest. Here's a shot just past start/finish that had the best lighting due to the garages:

IMG_3325_zpsdwighfl3.png

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang Nick ---166 in a street car blew me away when I saw that. Looks like those Ford Engineers know how to build a serious track beast -- great runs. Cool that Ben was running in the low 1:50s -- assume with his 302s???

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Bill Pemberton said:
Dang Nick ---166 in a street car blew me away when I saw that. Looks like those Ford Engineers know how to build a serious track beast -- great runs. Cool that Ben was running in the low 1:50s -- assume with his 302s???

No, Ben was running a Ferrari 599XX EVO. 302S's were running about the same time as the R 8)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
All times updated to this point.

@zajac, you've got the right idea. I come in periodically and update the times in the first post--so just post your time and trim and we'll get it in there.
If you get bored at Miller/UMC, come visit us in Arizona www.nasaaz.com

@Black Boss you are significantly faster in the 350R on street tires vs. the B302 on race tires at Sebring. Seat time + mag-ride the ticket for Sebring's bumps?

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
ArizonaBOSS said:
@Black Boss you are significantly faster in the 350R on street tires vs. the B302 on race tires at Sebring. Seat time + mag-ride the ticket for Sebring's bumps?

The PSC2 is very close to the R7 in terms of grip (think tenths of a second). Amazing that it's a street tire. Magna-ride helps too -- this car is just hooked up. 8)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Will agree with Black Boss that the new PSC2 are surprisingly quick ( much better than their predecessor ) especially with warm temps, but still find them at a disadvantage to R7s if it is a cool day. Either way , Quick Nick , we are not worthy after the times you recorded at Daytona --- I have always thought you were a talent on the track , but retirement is agreeing with you , you are now becoming a severe threat to all drivers on any circuit you run.

Treynor is quick in whatever he is running , but he constantly tells me the real speed merchant in his family is his wife! It was 6 degrees on the way to work today, so please all of you Snowbird Speedfreaks, please continue to post videos for all of us Polar Bears ---- well , all our cars are hibernating for the Winter even if we aren't .

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
treynor said:
1:37.6 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Stock 2013 Boss 302S on Pirelli DH slicks, with extra GT500 mufflers and diverter pipes installed to quiet the car down to 88dB. Yours truly behind the wheel.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlUbGbJfMbo

#insertRacerExcusesHere:
The tires were pretty well worn by this session
It was only my third time driving the 302S
There was lots of traffic and it was hard to get a clean lap.
This is my only 3-pedal track car and my heel-toe needs work.
Extra mufflers hurt the top end power
@Treynor , what springs/bars are in this car?

A buddy of mine posted up my best Palmer lap of 1:54.6, plus the lap before. Warning, it's really boring compared to a lot of videos on here, lol, and the audio is crap. But I'd love any tips or advice from you track rats. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All

New guy here.

I track a 2014 Gt 500 at AAA Roval in Fontana. My car has Kenny Brown front brake cooling ducts, Carbotech front pads, and a Cortex watts link. I can hit 154.6 on OEM Good year F1s' regularly if I want to buy new front tires every time I run there.

Car 3850lbs, me 175lbs, full tank gas 92lbs = heavy!

Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors