The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
stevbd said:
A buddy of mine posted up my best Palmer lap of 1:54.6, plus the lap before. Warning, it's really boring compared to a lot of videos on here, lol, and the audio is crap. But I'd love any tips or advice from you track rats. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5wLfmK4EoI

Just to add to this
1) Keep your hands at 9 and 3 as mentioned, there was no where on that track that would have required you to move them, you might end up with just your thumbs in the tight stuff, but keep them at the locations. Also loosen your grip a little, when you were having to make corrections to the car it was very robotic and labored, relax the hands and be fluid/smooth
2) Make sure you are looking far enough ahead, even on the long sweepers, you looked like you were doing fine in the tight corner(s)
3) I would absolutely NOT be working on steering the car with the throttle, instead I would work on braking points, carrying momentum, lines, and really feeling, hearing and seeing what the car is doing
4) Definitely try and work on not leaning with the corners, especially those right handers, seats and harnesses as mentioned do go a long way to help with that. They also keep you focused on driving, and not have to remember where and when you need to pin your knees against a dash or center console, or death grip the wheel
5) Have fun!

Hope any of the feedback helps you next time!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Good advice, and in particular I like this:

"Also loosen your grip a little, when you were having to make corrections to the car it was very robotic and labored, relax the hands and be fluid/smooth"

2HP

Thanks for all the advice guys, as a track noob it's really helpful and I appreciate it. Have a good day.

@j3st3r, to clarify on the throttle steering point, some of the coaching I've gotten is to hold the wheel steadier in the corners and either tighten or widen my line more with the throttle instead of the wheel. Not mashing the gas mid-corner of course, but just gentle inputs. I've practiced this in safe environments and understand the concept and what the car feels like doing it. But are you saying I'm getting bad advice on this point for some reason? Thanks for your help!

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
stevbd said:
@j3st3r, to clarify on the throttle steering point, some of the coaching I've gotten is to hold the wheel steadier in the corners and either tighten or widen my line more with the throttle instead of the wheel. Not mashing the gas mid-corner of course, but just gentle inputs. I've practiced this in safe environments and understand the concept and what the car feels like doing it. But are you saying I'm getting bad advice on this point for some reason? Thanks for your help!

Negative, I would never down play or comment on coaching from another instructor like that. You guys were together and worked on the things together those days, you were at the track(s), so I cant really comment on the context that you were being instructed. I was saying that based on your experience level, that you gave, and looking at the video, if I were your coach I would be focusing on the fundamentals: Doing all of your braking before the corner(within reason, and based on the track), making sure you understand all of the different types of corners on the track, and what the logic/benefit/harm behind driving a certain line though them, entry and exit speed in, out and through the corners, hand position, sighting, vehicle dynamics, etc, none of which would include trying to steer the car in corners with the throttle. I prefer setting up your lines, and making small corrections with steering over trying to manage with multiple power adjustments, weight transfer and car balance can be tough to manage with to many variables. I am not saying what you are trying to do, or learned is wrong, but to really understand what it is or is not doing for you on the track. Hopefully that makes sense. Like I said though, as an instructor myself, and given the information you provided, those were just my thoughts. You and every instructor you ever have will of course go over content based on your progression, the track, comfort, and knowledge that is being passed. The great thing about this group, TMO is its all about helping one another, which is why, for me its the only forum I use actively. We are here to help, so ask any questions you want, and hopefully we will share some track time together one day!

j3st3r said:
Negative, I would never down play or comment on coaching from another instructor like that. You guys were together and worked on the things together those days, at the track(s) you were at so I cant really comment on the context that you were being instructed. I was saying that based on your experience level, that you gave, and looking at the video, if I were your coach I would be focusing on the fundamentals: Doing all of your braking before the corner(within reason, and based on the track), making sure you understand all of the different types of corners on the track, and what the logic/benefit/harm behind driving a certain line though them, entry and exit speed in, out and through the corners, hand position, sighting, vehicle dynamics, etc, none of which would include trying to steer the car in corners with the throttle. I prefer stetting up your lines, and making small corrections with steering over trying to manage with multiple power adjustments, weight transfer and car balance can be tough to manage with to many variables. I am not saying what you are trying to do, or learned is wrong, but to really understand what it is or is not doing for you on the track. Hopefully that makes sense. Like I said though, as an instructor myself, and given the information you provided, those were just my thoughts. You and every instructor you ever have will of course go over content based on your progression, the track, comfort, and knowledge that is being passed. The great thing about this group, TMO is its all about helping one another, which is why, for me its the only forum I use actively. We are here to help, so ask any questions you want, and hopefully we will share some track time together one day!

Well said and I understand. I can definitely see the pitfalls of trying to do too much too soon, either with my driving or mods to the car. Much to learn but I'm having a ball. Thanks again for taking the time to watch and coach me up!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
voodoo child21 said:
New personal best at VIR full for me. Saturday Feb 11, 2017-2:08.43, 2011 Mustang GT, CJ, ARH headers JRi coilovers, G Stream Wing, Cortex Watts link, Hoosier R7 295/40-18.

Nice! That's very quick... guess I have to go back now and try to knock of another second or two!!

MSR-C 1.7 CCW
Date: 2/13/17
Lap time: 1:24.176
Car: 2014 Mustang GT, daily driver mild
Total vehicle weight with driver: 3900 lbs
Wheel horsepower: 365-385 est
Tire size and model: 315/30/18 Falken 615K
Estimated ambient temperature: 45 degrees overcast

MSR-C 1.7 CW
Date: 2/13/17
Lap time: 1:27.698

2 PBs in the same day is too (two?) cool. Obviously a ton left, especially clockwise. I get another crack at it in 3 weeks.

As always, a work in progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
stevbd said:
Well said and I understand. I can definitely see the pitfalls of trying to do too much too soon, either with my driving or mods to the car. Much to learn but I'm having a ball. Thanks again for taking the time to watch and coach me up!

small thing that might pay big dividends: it's a bit hard to tell in the video but it does seem to me that you're sitting too far back from the steering wheel, which means you're steering with your arms out straight more than they should be. If you're closer to the wheel with more bend in your elbows, you'll have much better fine-motor control of your steering and your arms will fatigue less.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
His elbows seemed decently cocked and when we see his left arm outstretched it appears the steering input could be more with the right arm. Trying to visualize with his arms stretched out he looks like his arms could have the steering wheel right at the wrist. Seems like most of the schools I have gone to recommend at least a steering wheels width at the wrist , though I personally recommend to my students to try and do two. Loved listening to the beautiful noise and the crisp heal and toe downshifts.....best music I have heard all day.

Do thoroughly agree being close to the wheel for control and less fatigue is something 90% of drivers never address. When one gets out of the car after a session and your forearms are sore , you know you are not sitting properly, but in this instance really hard to judge and the driver's ease with the wheel makes one question? With the elbow bend I would wager he is at the one steering wheel width area and only he can tell us if he could be a bit closer -- there is a reason Nascar drivers literally sit on top of the wheel, so great comment to bring into a discussion.

Great drive, wonderful post , I can't get the wonderful sound out of my head , and I will have to watch/listen to this video again ------ Thank you Mozart of the Motorsports Park, ha.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
That looks like a fun track.

Date: 2/25/17

Car: 2014 Ford Mustang

Track name: MotorSport Ranch 3.1
Track location: Cresson, TX
Lap time: 2:29.07 (Aim Solo)
315/30/18 Falken 615Ks, daily driver mild

Estimated ambient temperature: 45

https://www.youtube....5OrqhmFm4Y&t=7s

Dropped 2.6 off my PB and got promoted to PCA white. GREAT weekend.

As always, a work in progress.

Looking good as usual. How does COTA rank on your list of favorite tracks to drive on? After going to the F1 race there last year I'm itching to get my 350 on track at COTA!

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
VoodooBOSS said:
Looking good as usual. How does COTA rank on your list of favorite tracks to drive on? After going to the F1 race there last year I'm itching to get my 350 on track at COTA!

It's definitely a top 5 track along with Watkins Glen, Road America, VIR and Sebring. Long lap with elevation changes, fast straights (150+) and some very technical areas and slow (35mph) 2nd gear corners. Probably the toughest of my top 5 for a fast lap, given the length and speed differentials between the fast and slow sections -- I know there's at least another 2 seconds to be had, sometime...... Plus the facility is world class. If you go, share a garage -- it's like nowhere else :)

Not sure I can keep this roll going, but reset PB @ Motorsports Ranch-Cresson on the 1.7 CW direction. Now 1:26.581 (dropped a little more than a second). Getting while the getting is good, summer is not that far away in Texas.

TMO Supporting Vendors