The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Just visited VIR for the first time this weekend with Chin Track Days. VIR North on Saturday and VIR Full Sunday. I was running with the Green (Novice) group and there were several other Mustangs out there. COLD weather in the AM sessions, but warmed up to low 50's in the afternoon for some nice sessions. Had the pleasure to meet Steve @2012-Boss - great guy with a ton of experience and super clean track Boss!

I drive a 2015 Mustang GT PP (mods in signature). Best lap time of the weekend at VIR Full was a 2:15.96

I've also have 8 track days at Summit Point Main. Best lap time there was a 1:26.51

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
It looks like everyone has been out having some fun lately! I'll do a bulk update of all times to the main post later this week! Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
It was nice to meet you and grab a few drinks / dinner this weekend. I posted up the information for the Superfest event I mentioned in the Track Event section. I hope you can make it.

I was dying to get the GT350 on the track for the first time, so I braved the freezing temps at Summit Point Main this weekend (my fourth HPDE overall).

The car did great! Ran a 1:28.01 completely stock on the MPSS in ~33 degree weather.
56a7fda5f6190f15686db8adc6063523.jpg

Impressive, I'm surprised the tires had any grip at that temp. How many laps did it take to get some heat in the tires?

His elbows seemed decently cocked and when we see his left arm outstretched it appears the steering input could be more with the right arm. Trying to visualize with his arms stretched out he looks like his arms could have the steering wheel right at the wrist. Seems like most of the schools I have gone to recommend at least a steering wheels width at the wrist , though I personally recommend to my students to try and do two. Loved listening to the beautiful noise and the crisp heal and toe downshifts.....best music I have heard all day.

Do thoroughly agree being close to the wheel for control and less fatigue is something 90% of drivers never address. When one gets out of the car after a session and your forearms are sore , you know you are not sitting properly, but in this instance really hard to judge and the driver's ease with the wheel makes one question? With the elbow bend I would wager he is at the one steering wheel width area and only he can tell us if he could be a bit closer -- there is a reason Nascar drivers literally sit on top of the wheel, so great comment to bring into a discussion.

Great drive, wonderful post , I can't get the wonderful sound out of my head , and I will have to watch/listen to this video again ------ Thank you Mozart of the Motorsports Park, ha.

Sorry I missed this post a few weeks ago. Bill, I don't understand what you mean about having "at least a steering wheels width at the wrist," or perhaps two?

Thanks for the feedback and coaching!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
One of the reasons folks get tired at the track is that their seating position and placement of their hands/arms is incorrect , causing them to drive more with their forearms , instead of their shoulders. Think about how Nascar drivers sit and how little they have to move the wheel to correct and then when sitting in your car try to have your arms straight over the steering wheel ( in essence just laying your arms over the wheel ). A lot of Professional Instructors will suggest a steering wheel width should be where your arm rests when you should lay your hands over the wheel. You will not drive like this, but this is a gauge to see about where you should sit in relation to the wheel ( distance wise ) . I have always suggested to folks I instructed to go forward one more steering wheel width, so figure getting close enough to the wheel when laying your arm over the top , you have the distance of two steering wheel widths - at the juncture of your wrist and hand. Closer to the wheel , you tend to drive with your shoulders and your elbows are bent more. Farther away you drive with your forearms and you have to move the wheel more to correct. Seating position is likely the most overlooked area to help folks drive quickly , as most get in the car they way they drive around town -- often kicked back in the seat , chilling. A weight lifter will be tired long before you are if he is sitting far back , arms outstretched and making looping corrections every time he gets the car loose. Economy of motion is a simple trick to more speed, and sitting in your seat fairly upright with your arms both bent and at a closer distance to the wheel , means smaller corrections -- which means a straighter line and more speed.

One of the reasons folks get tired at the track is that their seating position and placement of their hands/arms is incorrect , causing them to drive more with their forearms , instead of their shoulders. Think about how Nascar drivers sit and how little they have to move the wheel to correct and then when sitting in your car try to have your arms straight over the steering wheel ( in essence just laying your arms over the wheel ). A lot of Professional Instructors will suggest a steering wheel width should be where your arm rests when you should lay your hands over the wheel. You will not drive like this, but this is a gauge to see about where you should sit in relation to the wheel ( distance wise ) . I have always suggested to folks I instructed to go forward one more steering wheel width, so figure getting close enough to the wheel when laying your arm over the top , you have the distance of two steering wheel widths - at the juncture of your wrist and hand. Closer to the wheel , you tend to drive with your shoulders and your elbows are bent more. Farther away you drive with your forearms and you have to move the wheel more to correct. Seating position is likely the most overlooked area to help folks drive quickly , as most get in the car they way they drive around town -- often kicked back in the seat , chilling. A weight lifter will be tired long before you are if he is sitting far back , arms outstretched and making looping corrections every time he gets the car loose. Economy of motion is a simple trick to more speed, and sitting in your seat fairly upright with your arms both bent and at a closer distance to the wheel , means smaller corrections -- which means a straighter line and more speed.

Totally agree, Bill! Ford Racing School instructors spend a fair amount of classroom time discussing this. Seemingly a small thing that truly does make a world of difference.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Been to numerous Driving/Racing Schools and frankly I still think Utah Motorsports Campus and the Ford Performance Racing School is the absolute best in the Country. The track is perfect for instruction, as it is super safe, the cars are prepped to the max , and since I personally know about 6 of the Instructors I can honestly say I think the schooling is topnotch. Like so many sports in life , the little things often make the biggest difference.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
We are working on some things with the new forum software; once that is done I'll go through the backlog of lap times and get the first thread updated.

Thanks to all for your continued patience, and keep those throttle pedals planted!

2:02.3 at Oregon Raceway Park (Clockwise) in the 3v swap car this past weekend. Now I just need those two extra cams and .4 liters to really have some fun :)

2006 Mustang 3v/275 Conti's/Brembos/Watts/Bilsteins- 2:02.3

Video link is chasing my buddy Brian Bogdon in his FR500S that last session, I'm really impressed with how my car was able to stay close to his the whole time. Couldn't be happier with how the swap turned out. FR500S at Oregon Raceway Park

Ran Barber for the first time yesterday and today. Several other GT350's and other Mustangs there including @StigsBaldBrother.

It's an absolutely fantastic setting with spectacular landscaping and landscape art plus a great lap, well worth the 11 hour drive.

Ran a 1:40.00. Stock GT350R on Hoos R7's -- need to go back to break into the 1:3x's and check out the museum :)

Will post a video when I get home...

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have all the times saved up to this point in my email--there is an issue where the original posts exceeds the 10k character limit per post w/ the new forum software.

Expect this to be resolved next week and all times bulk-updated at that point. Thanks for your continued patience, and keep those throttle pedals down!!

Bonus Video from Wild Horse Pass East Track a few weeks back w/ the new CJ setup:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel