The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
lol...you are crazy. East track is fast. Maybe you are neglecting to remember turns 2, 3, and 11 at MRLS :)

The only one I don’t like at laguna is 11. The rest still flow well. TH east has fast sections but a lot of off camber or slow corners that basically chew up tires or brakes with little or no reward. Now you can say that’s the challenge of a particular track, and you’d be right. And I can say that I don’t prefer it for those reasons, and I’d be right. But to pretend they don’t exist is not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
All times updated to this point, added a data point of my own--1:56.88 on Chuckwalla Valley Raceway CW. Never got an honest session there in the past 3 years prior. Aiming for 55s next time out if I can get some clean track.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Nice race! Rich M. in the white Viper during your runs is a good family friend.
He was kind enough to let me use his nitrogen bottle to charge my shock reservoirs during the weekend. :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Track: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Date: 2/24 & 2/25
Best Time: 1:42.98

Source: RaceChrono
2012 Boss 302
Tires: NT01 275 Square
Tire pressures (hot): 36F/35R
Damper settings: 5F/5R
AdvanceTrac: Sport/Off
Cooling: Transmission Cooling Scoop
Brakes: G-Loc R12 front, OE rear, OE rotors

SavetheManuals--Boss/NT01 275 square/ w/ passenger-- 1:42.98

Comments: Nice cool temps for both days. Developed intense brake shudder halfway through day 1 so I probably could have at least gotten down into the low 1:42s if I didn't have to back off the braking but I am still happy with that time. Had a blast showing up my coworkers in their track prepped 911s, NSXs, and even a GT350 :p:D(no driver mod for the 350 though). The only cars that gave me a challenge were a Cayman GT4 and a 991 Carrera S on RE71Rs.

Last edited:

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
We managed to get pretty good weather for Tarheel Sports Car Club's winter outing at VIR. Ran the Full Course on Saturday and the Grand on Sunday. No PB on Saturday since I was determined not to do anything stupid so I could run my dream track.

VIR Grand Course
Boone--'05 GT, 5.3BBB & stuff, H&R coilovers & stuff, 200TW street tire--3:10.71

I had to dodge a Vette coming out of Oak Tree (turn 12) and enter the biznitch (turn 14) offline due to a pass at the top of the back strait. Lots of room to improve, but I'll take it for my first try at this configuration and the slightly damp track. My instructor was Bill Foster, and he could be the greatest guy ever. Request him if you're ever at VIR.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Track: Buttonwillow 13CW
Date: 2/24/2018
Best Time: 2:01.150
Source: Transponder
Car: 2011 S197 GT/5.0
Tires: 275/35/19 Federal RSRR
Wheels: Stock Brembo 19x9
Suspension: Vorshlag Coilovers with camber plates, LCA, UCA, Penhard
AdvanceTrac: OFF

This was the first track where the Mustang performed less then expected. Skinny, cheap street tires on a heavy car without aero are just not fast on this track. I could have stayed flat into Bus Stop and into Phill Hill but simply had not enough trust in my tires to do so. The rear tends to get really snappy once the tires are past peak, which is by the end of the first lap.

Track: Streets of Willow (CCW)
Date: 2/17/18
Best Time: 01:25.559
Car: 2011 S197 GT/5.0
Tires: 275/35/19 Federal RSRR
Wheels: Stock Brembo 19x9
Suspension: Vorshlag Coilovers with camber plates, LCA, UCA
AdvanceTrac: OFF

How do you like the Federals? I was thinking about grabbing the same setup you have (got some cheapy 19x9 brembo wheels over winter) for a warm up track day setup before I mount my DH slicks.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
How do you like the Federals? I was thinking about grabbing the same setup you have (got some cheapy 19x9 brembo wheels over winter) for a warm up track day setup before I mount my DH slicks.

For the price the RSRR are absolute fantastic dual duty tires! They are even cheaper in 18.

But there are a couple things to be aware of.
They don't like heavy cars and peak by about the end of the first lap. Once they peaked, their slip angle seams to get a lot wider. I do not try to warm them up on my in-lap to have them good for the whole first lap.
At 8/10 - 9/10 the tire is great but can get sketchy at 10/10 as they tend to give up rather appruptly once they are beyond peak.
275 is not a lot of tire, especially not on 19x9. The stock wheels also seam to bend rather easily.

On our cars I would not use them for competitions. But they are just fine for the random track days and autox. I'd get them again for that purpose.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Track: Streets of Willow
Date: 3/4/18
Best Time: 129.82
Car: 2016 S550 GTPP
Tires: 305/30R19 ContiForce Contact
Wheels: 19x11 BC Forged race spec
Suspenstion: RideTech coilovers

This was the first run with the new tire and wheel setup - also the first time at this track. It had rained the day before and the temp for the first session was 37*. It warmed up to just over 50* later in the day. The first session was not awe inspiring. Things got better a couple sessions later as the track warmed up and had multiple runs on it. I have a pretty good low speed push to work out. Lowering front tire pressure helped and the car was fairly neutral at higher speeds. Definitely a learning curve for R comp tires.

Track-Streets-of-Willow.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors