The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
So imagine you run VIR the most , since you are in High Point and that can't be but about 2 hours at the most , I would guess? I have run Road Atlanta and VIR in your area. Been as far South as Sebring, but definitely would like to run Summit Point at some point? Have friend who has run the new Country Club Atlanta Motorsports Park, but of course that is probably hard to get in? Have not heard if they are running NASA or SCCA races there yet?

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
You are correct, VIR is my favorite track at 1 1/2 hours away. Charlotte's Roval is actually closer, and I really enjoy running there. Road Atlanta and Summit Point will be in my future. I really want to set up a "bucket list" trip to run Road America, Laguna Seca, and COTA. I may have to do One Lap of America to make that happen. Talk about dreaming big without a budget. :confused:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You are definitely in good shape and it always amazes folks that we have quite a few options ( course wise ) here in the Midwest. I am near Omaha, but in my case there are these tracks within 8 hours.
1. Raceway Park of the Midlands - 45 minutes
2. Motorsports Park Hastings - 2 hours and 30 minutes
3. Heartland Motorsports Park - 3 hours and 20 minutes
4. Brainerd International Racing Circuit - 6 hours and 30 minutes
5. Autobahn Country Club - 6 hours and 30 minutes
6. Hallett Motor Racing Circuit - 7 hours
7. Gateway Motorsports Park - 7 hours
8. High Plains Raceway - 7 hours and 20 minutes
9. Road America - 8 plus hours
10. Whoops, Blackhawk Farms Raceway - 6 hours and 20 minutes.

You can easily tell which three I go to the most ,ha. Not bad to have 6 tracks just a bit over 6 hours away, but even better to have 3 so close. I used to drive my Viper ACR down to Raceway Park of the Midlands on my R7 Hoosiers, since it was so darn close - this was for practice on Fast Fridays ( open to those who completed their track orientation and school ) for $80 for half a day.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
For you Bill - 9 Hours to Pike's Peak International Raceway and 9-1/2 hours to Pueblo Motorsports Park.

*** And there's TAPYDOT ***
Tymeslayer's Ain't Paved yet Dirt Oval Track - just outside of Brighton - 7 hours and forty minutes from Blair NE.

=gme-redfin&signature=ZYzza0qR2fJEkX0JWp8R0tYsXWA=.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Track: Willow Springs International Raceway
Date: 27/01/2019
Best Time: 1:31.94
Source: AiM SOLO
Car: 2011 S197 GT/5.0
Tires: 295 RS4, 200tw, 37 heat cycles
Wheels: Apex 18x11
Suspension: Vorshlag Coilovers with camber plates, LCA, UCA, Watts-Link
Aero: GT250 Wing
Power: ARH LTH, JLT v2, tune: 401whp

Shakedown day after blowing up my clutch in December. I am a bit rusty after the winter break, but a new pb is a new pb.
The car understeers quite a bit with the wing and no real splitter upfront, almost negating any advantage the wing has. At least at this track. I caught some traffic, loaded up the front for t4 too early and was a bit timid in t9. It was a good practice day though.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Track: Willow Springs International Raceway
Date: 1/27/2019
Best Time: 1:36.61
Source: Transponder
Car: 2016 S550 GT/PP
Tires: 305/30R19 Michelin SC2 102Y Porsche Spec
Wheels: 19x11 BC Forged RZ05 race spec
Suspension: RideTech coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, spherical bushings
Power: Stock motor

It had been a year since I was on this track last and took a few sessions to get comfortable. Despite the repave, turn 8 seemed just as bumpy as before. New SC2 tires were much needed and really changed things for the better. I had been chasing a bad push that I was having a hard time dialing out previously. I think it was mostly due to the older ContiForce Contacts that I removed. Still working on the driver mods...
Turn 4 Willow Springs 1-27-19.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Badger, you need to change your moniker to Badddasss Badger , since a 1:31 on damn S4s is cookin!! I know some of my Viper buddies out in SoCal who can get in the 20s, but they are usually on Hoosiers/Kumhos. I think it is time to get some serious rubber , especially since S4s aren't really considered one of the really fast 200 Treadwear Extreme Summer tires? Front splitter, decent rubber, Badger will be doing that (badgering) to those perceived to have much quicker cars!

Congrats on that run and fun to watch ---- post some more, since it is -9 degrees here in Nebraska and I have to race vicariously with all the videos posted from drivers in warm climes!!

By the way, comments Never Finished , sounds like you need to drop a PM to Badgrrrrrrr, so you guys can meet up next time?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Nvrfinished, there were a lot of Mustangs there that day. Were you parked at the pit wall closer to t9? We are usually in the small bay with the green walls on the other side. Come over next time and say hi!

We have small time attack series called the American Muscle Cup down here. You guys should drop by when when the dates line up. We got all kind of Mustangs and Camaros there. Even Ben showed up in his GT4 the last time. That thing is amazing!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Yeah, that was where I was parked. I will definitely look for you on the other side next time I see your car out on the track. Does the Muscle Cup run within Extreme Speed? I haven't run with that group yet.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Yeah, that was where I was parked. I will definitely look for you on the other side next time I see your car out on the track. Does the Muscle Cup run within Extreme Speed? I haven't run with that group yet.

Yep, we are running with Extreme Speed. Next one is February 16th @WSIR. Feel free to come and compete or just hang out and pick some brains. Just a heads up, I´m kinda useless to talk to for the first two runs as I`ll be 100% focused on the competition.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Boone, i know one guy with a car that color and he takes me down in autocross at least! His nanes not boone and the last we met was vir last February Or to say, we havent run each other in a year on track and over a year in autocross... maybe not even since I finally got real autocross tires. That, or i got the wrong guy and dont know who you are. ☹️

Btw, CMP in Kershaw is getting a repave in the late summer. They dont have any weeks blocked off, so maybe they are just hacking at it on weekdays and some coubs get to run a partial pave?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Duane , sounds like good news for Carolina Motorsports Park, and you better get ahold of Boone so you two can uphold the honor of TMO on the new paving!? TMO is a great place to find new track buds, and the is nothing better than down South having the Stang Gang romp all over the Vette set!!

TMO Supporting Vendors