The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lower control arm question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Off to the races (time trails) next weekend and after just installing my P springs I was wondering if the lower control arms are a Absolutely Needed or you can get by fine without them. Reading all the numerous threads I ended up more confused then when I started!! Just a couple of questions. I have not taken the car to the track since the addition of the P springs, so it will be all new to me again.

1) Was planning on the BMR box type control arms (BMR Rear Lower Tubular Control Arms Black Hammertone), But you can find J&M arms for less . Is there a big difference?? Should one go for the lightest??

2) If I get the lower arms do you then need (have to have..) the upper control arm??

3) Seen several opinions about LCA relocation kit pros and cons etc, For road racing is the stock position a good point to start?

4) Adjustable arms seem interesting but are they to complex for a rookie?? Many different was to screw up?

Thanks in advance!

Mad Hatter (ex splatter) said:
Off to the races (time trails) next weekend and after just installing my P springs I was wondering if the lower control arms are a Absolutely Needed or you can get by fine without them. Reading all the numerous threads I ended up more confused then when I started!! Just a couple of questions. I have not taken the car to the track since the addition of the P springs, so it will be all new to me again.

1) Was planning on the BMR box type control arms (BMR Rear Lower Tubular Control Arms Black Hammertone), But you can find J&M arms for less . Is there a big difference?? Should one go for the lightest??

2) If I get the lower arms do you then need (have to have..) the upper control arm??

3) Seen several opinions about LCA relocation kit pros and cons etc, For road racing is the stock position a good point to start?

4) Adjustable arms seem interesting but are they to complex for a rookie?? Many different was to screw up?

Thanks in advance!

1. I would go which ever you trust more rather than who is lighter or cheaper. I would go with BMR as I believe you get what you pay for but I believe some guys on here have used J&M without issues.

2. You don't "need" to do an upper but I would recommend it so much. I did springs, LCA's, relo brackets, PHB, and brace all at one time and the car felt great. I just recently did a Whiteline UCA and mount and it improved a lot, car feels like it is finally one piece, the shifting is smoother and I get no drive line clunk, and the rear is even stiffer and yet it doesn't jump when going over bumps.

3. With the P springs I don't think you need relo brackets but I went with them, no complaints but if you are doing the install yourself you could probably do without and then see if you need them since the install is pretty easy.

4. I went with adjustable LCA's, can't screw anything up since you can get the length right by using the old ones, I got them since they were a little more then non adjustable and I figured I would make one purchase and maybe never use them than have to buy them in the future and make two purchases.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
The LCAs are not needed. First thing I would recommend for a lowered rear are LCA brackets. Not all brackets will fit the stock arms.

1. I'd go with the J&M if you don't want spherical ends. The J&M bushing is a 'poly ball' type and better than other poly bushings for road racing. Otherwise get one with spherical ends.

2. No, you don't need the UCA. I'd get one with rubber bushings or spherical ends. I'd stay away from poly bushings in the UCA for the tendency to bind.

3. I don't think it matters what position you start at, but try one of the lower settings. I prefer corner exit and forward grip.

4. I don't prefer adjustable parts if it's not planned to use the adjustment. One more point to come loose and to check on track days. There is also usually some compromise in strength for the adjuster. If you want to adjust pinion angle, do it with an adjustable UCA.

Because you're setting your car up for track use I would install new LCA's with poly bushings if you're driving your car on the street and spherical bushings if it's for track use only. When I changed mine to the FR poly units I could tell a noticeable improvement rotating the car at corner turn in. The car felt sharper and more solid. What this meant to me was more confidence being aggressive in the corners. I have not added a UCA and have no intention of doing so at this time. Mainly because I don't want added noise when driving on the street.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Great! Thanks everyone. I will go with the poly bushing LCAs First and then see how it goes for the relocation kit. Glad to hear no really important need for the UCA as it looks a little more difficult to install.

By the way thanks for all the previous help from everyone for choosing the P springs, was really surprised how well the car rode and looking forward to tracking the car this coming weekend. (Made it over my speed bumps with care!!)

TMO Supporting Vendors