The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lowering springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#299 said:

Currently stocking up on stuff to make the new one quicker on the tracks. Hence the question about combining the Steeda springs with Enkei and MM Camber plates.

Congrats, saw that one listed on E b a y. YB is plenty fast but a few mods won't hurt ;D

I know!

Plus I have two friends currently stocking up with Cayman R and GT3 RS so some sticky tires to fit on the Enkei's are high on the list as well. Reading here I think I will go for the Nitto NT05.

#299 said:
I know!

Plus I have two friends currently stocking up with Cayman R and GT3 RS so some sticky tires to fit on the Enkei's are high on the list as well. Reading here I think I will go for the Nitto NT05.

The NT05's are not the stickiest tire out there, that is why they make R-comps I guess. However they are a great choice for many reasons, the cost is very good, good sizes, they last for many track days and once you figure them out you can run some fun and fast laps. They won't break any track records but still are capable of very decent times.

#299 said:
I know!

my experience on track with caymans says on street tires you should be ok, the 911 GT3 RS on the other hands is insane fast when driven well. you will need a driver mod, sticky tires, and maybe more power or hope the driver is slow. lol

i got lapped by a gt3 rs this weekend and i was hauling arse and putting down good times, the guy was on hoosires and moving so fast the corner workers were waving the blue and yellow half way around the track to give people time to get out of the way. i saw the flag and i was alone with no one behind me, took a corner and bam there the GT3 is in my rear view. epic track cars those things are. someone timed him at about 2:00 flat on ECR, prepped race cars usually go 1:56-ish

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
#299 said:
Is it possible to use the Steeda Boss specific lowering springs together with MM C/C plates and the Enkei PF01 wheels?

PS. Just took the decision to invest in a 2012 YB Boss 302 ;D DS.

I have the Boss Steeda springs with MM camber plates. The only thing I have found is I could only get around -2 degrees of negative camber before the springs started to bind in the strut tower. YMMV

Peter

Lapped? There are a couple fast drivers at BIR that run about 2 seconds faster than I do in the Boss in their GT3RSs. Lap times on the 3.1 mile track in the low 1:50s. During a 25 minute session that's about 14 laps which equates to 0:28 or about 1/4 of a lap.....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Lapped? There are a couple fast drivers at BIR that run about 2 seconds faster than I do in the Boss in their GT3RSs. Lap times on the 3.1 mile track in the low 1:50s. During a 25 minute session that's about 14 laps which equates to 0:28 or about 1/4 of a lap.....

By the time I actually make it out to MPH, my car will be fully stripped down and essentially a 302S, and then you will experience what it is like to get LAPPED, mister Nine. :)

JK, I will probably just start to figure out the track by the end of the first weekend :eek:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
As long as there aren't any rocks hiding out there, there could be worse things

Viper video:

[youtube]kZ6Igaq0Q1A?hd=1[/youtube]

And here's one from your home track:

[youtube]xVmlFMKXzo4?hd=1[/youtube]

ArizonaGT said:
Although from your descriptions of the track, I'm betting THIS is the configuration you run normally?

[youtube]EO9D32gTfrk?hd=1[/youtube]
Yea that is so frickin' awesome gets my blood going. We run the short track (2.5 miles) sometimes on Fridays when it's a 3 day event, but mostly it's the 3.1 mile Donneybrooke course in your second post. Did you notice the Viper touching 170 heading into Turn 1? He carried 140 and exited at 150. In the GT500 I could hit 165 but in the Boss I've only hit 150 although I can carry 140 and exit at 150. Need a few more ponies or less weight. Maybe some of the aero changes I made will help too. He was carrying 120 through 2 and exiting at 130. In the Boss I'm probably entering between 110 and 115 so I can exit at 135...differenty way to skin a cat, plus the Viper's a little lower/lighter than the Boss.

Now as far as alfalfa, I was referring to MPH in Hastings, NE, not BIR. If you go off at Turn 1 or 2 at BIR you're in the white birch which I think would be a little worse than the alfalfa. I heard a story about a guy in a C6 Vette that tried to go flat footed through 2 and just went straight. The corner worker said it was like he didn't even turn the wheel. He basically disappeared into the forest. When they finally got the two and emergency vehicles out there he was deep in the forest wedged between two trees..........about 5 feet off the ground. :eek:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yeah got your comparison about the alfalfa at MPH vs. trees at BIR.
I just thought you guys would enjoy those vids, found the MPH one first and the same guy was at BIR as well.

That viper is FLYING down the straights. They are lower, lighter, wider, and have a LOT more tire, too.

For that fast entry at BIR, I'm assuming you don't brake, just lift a little and let the aero drag slow you down for the corner entry?

The guy that shot this video should be at a track near me towards the end of this month for the NARRA season opener race at INDE Motorsports Ranch. I won't be able to make it down there that weekend, however :(

Sorry didn't watch the first two vids before. Yea those Vipers can absolutely fly. LOL on the trophies they look very similar to the ones George made for the Mustang Roundup.

Yea just lifting going into Turn 1. I'll occasionally tap the brake to settle it if I come in a little hot, but usually just lift and let the banking and aero bleed off some speed.

I have a 2011 BBP GT and we have the same problem with the butt of car to high in the air. I had steeda sport springs on my car for about a year but the freeway i drive to work on every day has a bad bump in one lane. If i forget what lane i had to be in and hit it at 80MPH the rear end would bottom out hard on the bump stop and kill my back .What i ended up doing was putting a pair of 55D spring on the rear and use the stock BBP springs on the front . The 55D spring has the same working spring rate over there travel as the stock BBP rear spring do but lower the back of the car 1/2 inch. It lower the back of car just enough so when you walk out to the car its not yelling at you that the butt is to high in the air.The 55D springs are 167 lbs. same as the stock BBP rear spring are so there going to be a little softer than the Boss rear springs are ( 187 lbs.) I think this change may make the car understeer a little more. One more thing the 55D spring can take the big bump on the freeway without the rear end hitting the bump stop just like the stock springs. Here a link to were you can get them at http://www.brembo50.com/ there $119 dollars if you want to give them a try and there easy to take in and out of the car . Sorry for the long post

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting very impatient waiting for lowering springs to be made for the Boss!! I'm not a fan of the 4x4 truck look the Boss has in the rear.

I called Eibach and asked them for an ETA for their lowering springs. The rep told me that it would be available in May. I also inquired about their coilover system for the Boss and I was told there was no current ETA. However, he told me the pro-street coilovers are currently available for the 2012 Mustang GT and they would work great for the 2012 Boss. I'm strongly considering purchasing these coilovers for my car...

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I'm no suspension expert but IMHO if I was playing with the suspension on the Boss I'd be treading very lightly. Too much interplay between components. I'd like mine to look lower also, and to maybe have a little less body roll. That said, if she really pulls 1.02G (LS w/Corsa's) then why the heck would I want to change it too quickly? Waiting for the FRPP upgrade could save you a lot of grief. Some day, when enough money falls off the money tree I'd look into what it would take to turn my LS into a 302S from a suspension standpoint. Anybody want to sponsor me ? ;D

PeteInCT said:
I'm no suspension expert but IMHO if I was playing with the suspension on the Boss I'd be treading very lightly. Too much interplay between components. I'd like mine to look lower also, and to maybe have a little less body roll. That said, if she really pulls 1.02G (LS w/Corsa's) then why the heck would I want to change it too quickly? Waiting for the FRPP upgrade could save you a lot of grief. Some day, when enough money falls off the money tree I'd look into what it would take to turn my LS into a 302S from a suspension standpoint. Anybody want to sponsor me ? ;D

Good point Pete. Patience is my enemy....

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Trust me, I'm usually culprit #1.

Not to pat us all on the back, but this Forum has been a tremendous help for me coming from the Euro market and not owning a musclecar since my early 90's Camaro SS (which remained bone stock). I had an Audi TTS previously, not many aftermarket parts for it and a lot of them were garbage (or didn't fit/work at all). It's so cool to see so many great components available for our car, and at a reasonable price, it really amazed me at first. And a bunch of crazies like us that put it all to the test.

Now, it just amazes my wife every month... ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel