The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Hey Guys. From Michigan. New to the forum. Had a 87 Notchback 5.0 back in the early 90's. Then I got into Antique trackers. Now, I'm back into Mustangs.

My original goal was a Roush supercharged car or GT350. Then I found the PP2. Just wanted something somewhat unique. The car is used for occasional driving and maybe some tracks days for now.

I had my first experience at the M1 Concourse in Pontiac MI. Probably not the best place to start out. Is was an awesome experience and now I'm hooked.

Going to start searching this forum and others for the following info.....

Things that I'm thinking about:
  • Now the shifter is in which trans fluid? Thinking amsoil…...
  • The car calls for 5W30 for the track. I currently have 5w20 full syn Motorcraft. Not sure which direction to go here yet. Probably just put in and keep track oil in it.
  • Tires - No complaints really but I might replace to save the sport cups.
  • Half shafts at some point
  • Shaftmasters one piece driveshaft - they are located in my area
  • Supercharger / turbos maybe one day
  • Cold air intake JLT...
  • Some sort of cloth racing seat. Had to order the nice seats since my company makes them.

Hello everyone.

Randall

Hello and welcome!

BG Syncro Shift is a transmission fluid that has received great reviews for the MT-82 gearbox. I use it in conjunction with a MGW shifter and it made a world of difference. OP Mustang is a great vendor and sponsor here that sells it. https://www.opmustang.com/store/c3/TRANSMISSION_-_DRIVELINE.html#/

Bill's right. Use the SC2's for the track. They are a great track tire.

I would hold off on the half shafts until you Supercharge or add turbos. They hold up well to road course use.

Many with 2018's are reporting that the stock airbox flows great. There is debate whether spending the money on a CAI is worth it.

Oil is like religion... I tend to stay out of those conversations unless I have a question :p

Have fun!

Must be the pizza grease on Bob's keyboard that created the typo.
It was all that pizza/ pepperoni grease/oil that splashed up on my cheater readers that got me.We had a running joke at work that when you went to Modern Pizza in New Haven, you had to wipe off your elbows from all the grease/oil running down your arm when you picked up a slice.......not far from the truth....:D

Hey everyone,
I’m from Los Angeles. Been a lurker for some time, figured I’d go ahead and introduce myself. Previously owned only V6 mustangs, the last of which began my passion for working on cars. Finally bought my 2014 Gotta Have It Green GT a few months back and have decided to slowly build it. Plans are to eventually build it to a weekend track car but as of right now, have it be a good handling daily driver. My list of priorities are to get a new set of wheels, brakes, suspension, seats, and then aero parts. I’m thinking of going Apex EC-7’s but found a killer deal on some SM-10’s that I might act on. From there, get the brake duct kit from Blowfish and the GT500 rear brake kit, possibly upgrade the fronts to the GT500’s as well. After, focus on redoing the car’s suspension, Im leaning towards going with primarily Eibach as they are fairly close to me. Then, get a set of OEM Recaros and and then focus on splitters/wings.

I’m eager to get learn about building a track car and to meet you all,
Eric

Welcome to TMO and sounds like you’ve done your homework. I now a member with LS Recaros for sale. Send Pete a message if you’re interested.

@PeteInCT

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Hello All

After hanging out for 7 months here I figured I should introduce myself. I'm a long time Mustang lover, had a '69 coupe and a '70 Mach 1 a lifetime ago. I bought a new GT in 2014 for a daily driver but when the warranty ran out I decided to do a "little" tinkering to improve handling, had no idea then what I was starting! Over the past year or so I installed a Cortex Coil-over/Watts Link/Torque Arm suspension, Enkei 18 x 10.5 +47 & NT01 305/35-18 square. This was transformational. I reached a point where the car was capable of outperforming my driving, and realized I can't really experience it's full potential on the street safely ...Oh, the Roush supercharger I added over the winter helped with this too! So now having a car that's set up with some track capabilities, why not track it? Needed better brakes. Next was a Brembo upgrade & Brake Ducts, DOT4 & track pads... and a NASA membership.

I'll be doing my first HPDE event at Somoma Raceway on May 18, maybe I'll see some of you guys out there!

-Doug

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Gotta agree , great color and superior detail. Love the blue, and Tyme and TMS will be on here, agreeing, quite soon! I may have a white Boss, but blue is my favorite color and when she has all her decals on later this year , the highlights will be ....blue!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel