The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Thanks! I'm sure some people get confused, but you'd definitely know which one you were at if you visited :) The Manhattan I live in is sometimes called "The Little Apple". The whole town is somewhere around 55k people. I've really enjoyed having both cars. I just got the Roush this past January, so it's pretty new to me yet. Getting used to 750hp after having only 315hp in the Bullitt has been quite a change. The Roush is definitely faster, but I still enjoy getting the Bullitt out, too.
Need pictures of the Cougar!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
He is a Mustang fan - had 4 others in the garage (although all red). He didn't connect with the Mach 1, so was taking the money and buying a 2013 GT500 with super low miles. The Mach 1 was parked beside a 2020 GT500, 2 Fox bodies, and a 68 GT350 with a CF body.
Must be nice.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Need pictures of the Cougar!
Here's a few. It's currently a 289 with a 4-speed Toploader. I originally rebuilt the 289 in high school and have added a few things since then. It's got a Comp Cam 268H, '69 351W heads, headers, Performer intake and a 600cfm Holley. Pretty basic deal. The Toploader came out of a '72 Cougar (Hurst shifter and all) and has never been touched. The car sat for about 13 years starting in '05 with a bad clutch (probably the Quick Time Pros and stock clutch combo). I decided to replace some of the rusted sheetmetal under the car, clean up the engine compartment, and redo the interior (from light green to black). That's where it sits now. I have plans (and a few parts) to eventually go FE with it. The body and paint work looks a lot better in pictures than in person. It was quickly patched over after a fender bender in 1990 and got a $150 paint job at the same time so the car would at least match. I plan on redoing it sometime, but it's usable as-is, so it's been just an occasional driver. I plan on getting it out more this next year.

IMG_20180912_193442 (1).jpgIMG_20180913_185106.jpgIMG_20200103_185912.jpgIMG_20200220_184543.jpgIMG_20200725_082055 (2).jpg

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Here's a few. It's currently a 289 with a 4-speed Toploader. I originally rebuilt the 289 in high school and have added a few things since then. It's got a Comp Cam 268H, '69 351W heads, headers, Performer intake and a 600cfm Holley. Pretty basic deal. The Toploader came out of a '72 Cougar (Hurst shifter and all) and has never been touched. The car sat for about 13 years starting in '05 with a bad clutch (probably the Quick Time Pros and stock clutch combo). I decided to replace some of the rusted sheetmetal under the car, clean up the engine compartment, and redo the interior (from light green to black). That's where it sits now. I have plans (and a few parts) to eventually go FE with it. The body and paint work looks a lot better in pictures than in person. It was quickly patched over after a fender bender in 1990 and got a $150 paint job at the same time so the car would at least match. I plan on redoing it sometime, but it's usable as-is, so it's been just an occasional driver. I plan on getting it out more this next year.

View attachment 70843View attachment 70844View attachment 70845View attachment 70846View attachment 70847
If there was a Bullitt Cougar, this would be it. What a cool car to have as a project.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
If there was a Bullitt Cougar, this would be it. What a cool car to have as a project.
Funny you should say that. For my 13th birthday (which was on a Friday), I had 13 guys over and we watched Friday the 13th and Bullitt. We ended up forwarding to the car chase, but at 13 that's all that really mattered anyway. From then on I wanted a car like the one that was in Bullitt. Even in the late 80s the price was above my head for a big block fastback, so that never materialized. I found this car with the engine and transmission removed (it had been converted to a 460/C6) and only cost $600. For less than $1000 I had it running complete with a 289 2V and a 3 speed. The 4V setup came about during my junior year of high school when I rebuilt the engine that's in it now. The machinist let me watch the whole machining process and I did all of the assembly. It was a good learning experience for me. This was as close as I could get to having an original Bullitt car. It's also why I converted the interior to black, put Torque Thrusts on it, and still want an FE in it. Since I got the '08 I've been doing quite a bit of stuff with the Bullitt community. I've been to half a dozen nationals and will go to the one planned for next year in Nashville.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Funny you should say that. For my 13th birthday (which was on a Friday), I had 13 guys over and we watched Friday the 13th and Bullitt. We ended up forwarding to the car chase, but at 13 that's all that really mattered anyway. From then on I wanted a car like the one that was in Bullitt. Even in the late 80s the price was above my head for a big block fastback, so that never materialized. I found this car with the engine and transmission removed (it had been converted to a 460/C6) and only cost $600. For less than $1000 I had it running complete with a 289 2V and a 3 speed. The 4V setup came about during my junior year of high school when I rebuilt the engine that's in it now. The machinist let me watch the whole machining process and I did all of the assembly. It was a good learning experience for me. This was as close as I could get to having an original Bullitt car. It's also why I converted the interior to black, put Torque Thrusts on it, and still want an FE in it. Since I got the '08 I've been doing quite a bit of stuff with the Bullitt community. I've been to half a dozen nationals and will go to the one planned for next year in Nashville.
I suspected as much. You'll have to keep us updated if/when the FE goes in.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Ambler, PA
Hello,

I am Nick from Ambler, PA (suburb of Philly). Three years ago I got my Mustang, and have been doing AutoX around the Philadelphia, North East PA, Maryland, and New Jersey Regions. In the last year I started taking it to Track days. I've been having cooling problems AND shifting problems, and need some tech tips on how to get this car ready for balls-out track days.

I am a Manufacturing Engineer/ CNC Machininst, and I work for an auto parts supplier in the Philadelphia region. I like to do my own modifications and maintenance, and am willing to learn and do what it takes to make my S197 keep up on the track with other modern muscle cars.

Attached is a (watermarked) picture of Bishop, my MT82 coyote, from a 2020 TNiA at Pocono.

Current Mods are:

RE71R Tires
GT500 Axle Back, LTH Mid Pipes. K&N CAI.
Steeda Tune/SCT Tuner
Steeda Linear Rate Springs, Shocks, Front Sway Bar and Camber Plates
Mishimoto Oil Cooler
Innovative Motorsports Oil Temp and Pressure Sensor
Torsen T2R Diff
Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft
Barton Short Throw Shifter (wow this shifter SUCKS, why do people like this??)

Needs a clutch and the rear end is howling after some shenanigans in OCMD =(

Thanks for reading,

Nick

Attachments

• mustang.jpg
    mustang.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 7

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Nick

Welcome to the site!!!

Cooling and shifting problems. Very Common on track.

Cooling.
The s197 has issues moving enough air to cool the oil and water as built. Oil cooler, you mentioned you have one, size? Common mods to "Fix" cooling issues start with a different grill (or no grill), radiator (Three Pass), vented hood (Add louvers to yours or replace hood), larger oil cooler and boxing in the area between the grill and radiator. Loosing the A/C system also helps if your car is track only.

Shifting
Improved shifter which is mounted to the trans. The MGW is the GO TO shifter. George from MGW has been very active with Mustangs and knows his business. The Barton does not have many fans on this site.
Clutch. If you are still running a shock clutch, high RPM shifting is probably a problem. I cured my shifting issues with a McLeod RST twin disk clutch. There are better solutions now. I recently ordered an Exedy stage 3 Hyper single disc clutch, the new "Go To" clutch.

There are lots of threads on the subject(s) mentioned above.

If you could add a Build Thread for your car, I am sure some of the other folks would be able to chime in and suggest additional mods. Is your car a 2013?

Again, Welcome to the site.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
+1 to what TMSBoss said, and I'll add that the stock clutch is killing your trans. Exedy HyperSingle cured shifting problems for me. The stock clutch is the biggest single issue with shifting.
My heat problems were cured with a RaceLouvers hood vent set and it added downforce as a bonus. Get their RT or RX set for the maximum benefit.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good info , but if you can't afford to get one this Winter, make sure you change brake/clutch fluid after every weekend. Not a complete flush but a solid pump out and refill. Unlike most on here I never replaced a clutch on my 2012 or 2013 Boss and I definitely rode them hard. Folks may say it was excessive, but no clutch problems and the old fashion turkey baster is a good way to get out some clutch fluid. I concur with JDee and TMS Boss that a clutch upgrade will likely be in your future and both choices listed are used by many.

Check into getting a fiberglass or CF hood from chicane23.com , because these are what others list as " Tiger Hoods" and Jonathan is the Distributor to everyone else. Mr. Blevins has one insanely beautiful GT 500 that has one it's Class in the Ultimate Street Car Challenge in 18,19, and 21. I recommend this as another possible move , since many folks will want an unmolested stock hood, and frankly it will cause questions with Dealers and individuals when sell or trade that may incur a lower value. From 30 years in the Automotive Sales business, and primarily with performance machines, I recommend folks keep the stock parts.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Indiana
Introduction. My first post. My name is Blake, I live in Indiana and am a bit of a track junkie. Didn't know about this site until last weekend. I run at 8 to 10 road course event each year and we may have been at the same events many times. I have a SBY 2013 Boss 302S and White 2014 Boss 302S that I track throughout the mid-west. I also take my Ford GT's out to special track days. Hope to be active on the site for information and to keep up on the latest products. Will get additional information up shortly.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Introduction. My first post. My name is Blake, I live in Indiana and am a bit of a track junkie. Didn't know about this site until last weekend. I run at 8 to 10 road course event each year and we may have been at the same events many times. I have a SBY 2013 Boss 302S and White 2014 Boss 302S that I track throughout the mid-west. I also take my Ford GT's out to special track days. Hope to be active on the site for information and to keep up on the latest products. Will get additional information up shortly.
Welcome Blake! Looking forward to seeing some photos of the cars (create vehicle profiles in the Member Cars section for them please).

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Welcome Blake! Looking forward to seeing some photos of the cars (create vehicle profiles in the Member Cars section for them please).
Blake is an old friend for about 6 years now. Great Ford enthusiast who owns and drives many rare Ford performance cars on track as they are meant to be. Sorry I hadn't mentioned the Group to him in all this time. Welcome to TMO Blake

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well dang Blake, gotta love your choice in track machines and surprised I have not seen you at any of the tracks in the Midwest, but then my track time was reduced for almost all of 2020 and quite a bit of 2021 while I had a custom fuel cell installed. I hope we run into each other ( that would be figuratively , ha ) at the track in the future! Welcome!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Ambler, PA
Nick

Welcome to the site!!!

Cooling and shifting problems. Very Common on track.

Cooling.
The s197 has issues moving enough air to cool the oil and water as built. Oil cooler, you mentioned you have one, size? Common mods to "Fix" cooling issues start with a different grill (or no grill), radiator (Three Pass), vented hood (Add louvers to yours or replace hood), larger oil cooler and boxing in the area between the grill and radiator. Loosing the A/C system also helps if your car is track only.

Shifting
Improved shifter which is mounted to the trans. The MGW is the GO TO shifter. George from MGW has been very active with Mustangs and knows his business. The Barton does not have many fans on this site.
Clutch. If you are still running a shock clutch, high RPM shifting is probably a problem. I cured my shifting issues with a McLeod RST twin disk clutch. There are better solutions now. I recently ordered an Exedy stage 3 Hyper single disc clutch, the new "Go To" clutch.

There are lots of threads on the subject(s) mentioned above.

If you could add a Build Thread for your car, I am sure some of the other folks would be able to chime in and suggest additional mods. Is your car a 2013?

Again, Welcome to the site.
Thanks for the response. It's a 2014.

The Mishimoto is a 25 row 11" x 7.32" x 1.97" cooler. It's mounted in front of the radiator pretty low, and is partly obscured by the front bumper. Also, it's totally butted against the AC condenser, which is definitely not good for airflow. I am willing to remove the AC, but not thrilled about the idea =P. I'm also willing to change out the grille, but I'd really miss my foglights =/. My oil temp sensor is in the side of the oil pan, and it spikes to over 280 ° F on track. I'm pretty sure it's a good reading, because it seems very realistic for normal driving...

I just ordered a Lethal performance LPX twin disk and an MGW Race Spec, so hopefully that helps me out.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Thanks for the response. It's a 2014.

The Mishimoto is a 25 row 11" x 7.32" x 1.97" cooler. It's mounted in front of the radiator pretty low, and is partly obscured by the front bumper. Also, it's totally butted against the AC condenser, which is definitely not good for airflow. I am willing to remove the AC, but not thrilled about the idea =P. I'm also willing to change out the grille, but I'd really miss my foglights =/. My oil temp sensor is in the side of the oil pan, and it spikes to over 280 ° F on track. I'm pretty sure it's a good reading, because it seems very realistic for normal driving...

I just ordered a Lethal performance LPX twin disk and an MGW Race Spec, so hopefully that helps me out.
If the Oil cooler is not right up against the Radiator or ducted directly to it air will go around the cooler and build pressure behind it. @captdistraction went through all this in his build thread. I mimicked what he did and proved the concept. Placement and ducting is paramount.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel