The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
Dropping in here to say hi. I just picked up my 07 GT 5 speed with 137000km on it 3 days ago, bringing me back into the Mustang world. My last unit was a 79 5.0 4 speed Capri that I picked up from my uncle in 93 which started my autocross fun. It was a sweet car with only 36000km on it at the time, and had never seen rain - I should never have sold it. The current owner is of that car is restoring it after a few too many years outside.

So now, years later, and with some decent track experience helping organize track days with my local club, plus racing a CRX for a couple years, crewing and racing an 84 Omni GLH, and then a motorcycle powered tube frame Pro Challenge car, I wanted to enjoy the hobby more on the street and off. I still own the Pro Challenge for wheel to wheel fun, and my friends GLH is a great vintage car to enjoy.

This car is completely unmolested, with the only mod being a short throw shifter. It's still sporting the stock exhaust and air intake even. So it's going to get some updates in the next couple weeks in preparation for the start of track season here in Nova Scotia. That will include a full fluids swap, and a front suspension refresh including greasing bearings, seals etc. Then I'll be updating front brakes with some reasonable but not expensive solution for better heat dissipation and stopping power. No solution chosen yet, but I'm looking at the S550 caliber swap with the larger rotors, and some cooling duct solutions.

I'll be searching the threads for ideas and suggestions, but if you have a thread you think I should look through, please send it along. In the end, my goal is a fully streetable chassis that can handle 3-4 track days a year, some autocross events, but is still enjoyable to take on a 3 hour road trip.IMG_3810.JPGIMG_5973.JPGIMG_4019.JPGIMG_2307.jpgIMG_7706.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am sure you will have fun with the Mustang at Atlantic Motorsports Park as I know there are a couple of Mustang track rats from Nova Scotia who run out there at times , and I imagine I am light on the total count. Do consider posting your 07 on the " Build Thread " as this will give everyone an idea on what you can do to improve your GT. What Class do you intend to run in at the track and there have been quite a few changes in tires over the last few years so there are some other solid choices not available in all likelihood. I look forward to seeing pics or videos of your runs at AMP and having viewed the course in the past it looks like a fun and challenging circuit. Welcome and there are plenty of Canadians on this site , though we have not seen but a few from your Province.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Gibsonia, PA
Dropping in here to say hi. I just picked up my 07 GT 5 speed with 137000km on it 3 days ago, bringing me back into the Mustang world. My last unit was a 79 5.0 4 speed Capri that I picked up from my uncle in 93 which started my autocross fun. It was a sweet car with only 36000km on it at the time, and had never seen rain - I should never have sold it. The current owner is of that car is restoring it after a few too many years outside.

So now, years later, and with some decent track experience helping organize track days with my local club, plus racing a CRX for a couple years, crewing and racing an 84 Omni GLH, and then a motorcycle powered tube frame Pro Challenge car, I wanted to enjoy the hobby more on the street and off. I still own the Pro Challenge for wheel to wheel fun, and my friends GLH is a great vintage car to enjoy.

This car is completely unmolested, with the only mod being a short throw shifter. It's still sporting the stock exhaust and air intake even. So it's going to get some updates in the next couple weeks in preparation for the start of track season here in Nova Scotia. That will include a full fluids swap, and a front suspension refresh including greasing bearings, seals etc. Then I'll be updating front brakes with some reasonable but not expensive solution for better heat dissipation and stopping power. No solution chosen yet, but I'm looking at the S550 caliber swap with the larger rotors, and some cooling duct solutions.

I'll be searching the threads for ideas and suggestions, but if you have a thread you think I should look through, please send it along. In the end, my goal is a fully streetable chassis that can handle 3-4 track days a year, some autocross events, but is still enjoyable to take on a 3 hour road trip.View attachment 73354View attachment 73355View attachment 73356View attachment 73353View attachment 73357
Welcome! I used to have a 1979 Capri similar to yours in silver that I also used to autocross.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
I am sure you will have fun with the Mustang at Atlantic Motorsports Park as I know there are a couple of Mustang track rats from Nova Scotia who run out there at times , and I imagine I am light on the total count. Do consider posting your 07 on the " Build Thread " as this will give everyone an idea on what you can do to improve your GT. What Class do you intend to run in at the track and there have been quite a few changes in tires over the last few years so there are some other solid choices not available in all likelihood. I look forward to seeing pics or videos of your runs at AMP and having viewed the course in the past it looks like a fun and challenging circuit. Welcome and there are plenty of Canadians on this site , though we have not seen but a few from your Province.
I'll definitely get a build thread started. As for classes, on track my goal is just HDPE vice competition. I'm in the middle of an engine swap on my Pro Challenge car, and it will remain my competition vehicle for track use. It's not a comfortable car, and running it at a track day takes a lot of the relaxed fun out of the time between run groups. I'll run the Mustang in the CAM class for autocross.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
CAM is a riot, but it is definitely where sticky rubber is Numero Uno for competition -- which is always tough! The great thing about the CAM Classes is the participants are very close knit, super helpful, and like to , occasionally ..........party!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Houston, TX
Hello all, I've lurked for years but figure it is time to finally make my own account. I bought my DIB '13 Track Pack new back in 2012 but kept it relatively unmodified over the years as my daily driver. As time went on I started to upgrade consumables from their stock counterparts, and to fix a few deficiencies. I'm still balancing the line between daily driver and race car until I have the space for another car but I've started taking it to HPDE events with The Driver's Edge and am hooked.

Working on my own car has been a great brain reset as I'm usually working with computers or low-voltage electronics. Learning the mechanical side has not only helped me understand how it all works together but also saved money compared to having a shop do it for me.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Hello all, I've lurked for years but figure it is time to finally make my own account. I bought my DIB '13 Track Pack new back in 2012 but kept it relatively unmodified over the years as my daily driver. As time went on I started to upgrade consumables from their stock counterparts, and to fix a few deficiencies. I'm still balancing the line between daily driver and race car until I have the space for another car but I've started taking it to HPDE events with The Driver's Edge and am hooked.

Working on my own car has been a great brain reset as I'm usually working with computers or low-voltage electronics. Learning the mechanical side has not only helped me understand how it all works together but also saved money compared to having a shop do it for me.
Welcome!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
California
Hi all,
I just joined today. I've been a NorCal SAAC member for almost 30 years now. I've been doing a lot of open track as well as a couple of club late model and vintage races.
I have a 1995 Mustang Cobra R #242 of 250 that I've had since November of 1996. I actually traded in a '96 Mystic Cobra to buy this car. I've done a lot of work to this car over the years. I also owned Jason Priestley's IMSA GS #46 endurance road race '95 Cobra R #191 of 250 for several years. I sold that car to Ron Bramlett, former owner of Mustangs Plus.
After driving my '95 R for a while after buying it, including an event at Laguna, I put it on a serious performance improvement program that started with getting rid of the horrible rear suspension and the not-quite-as-bad front. I took the car to Griggs Racing where it stayed for 8 months while they installed their full World Challenge frame and suspension upgrades (around $14K at the time). While that was being done I built a 429 CID aluminum 4-bolt 351W stroker with 600HP that weighs less than a cast iron 289. I upgraded to a Holley 4150HP Race carb, Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake, AN-8 Earl's Speed Flex fuel lines, MSD HVC ignition with rev controller, Custom Griffin 3" thick radiator, Big Alcon brakes, blueprinted Viper T-56, Torsen T2-R Racemaster diff, Moser axles. Just installed 2014 spindles, Griggs race prepped hubs, carbon fiber brake cooling ducts and new Griggs anti-roll bar. Inside I have Momo seats, 2" DOM CrMo roll bar and TeamTech 5-point safety harnesses. It's hella fun to drive...
I am also blessed to be a member of a land speed record car crew. This is a BGS (Blown Gas Streamliner) with a 427 LSX with twin 88mm turbos that the owner Tom runs at Bonneville. The owner hopes to hit 400MPH this August. He hit 365 last year. I plan to be there

IMG_20180721_133500334.jpg

IMG_20180728_110303733.jpg

IMG_20210725_193437387_HDR.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Love the car and though I only had are regular Cobra in 97 ( and another in 99 ) both were white, so gotta love the R!! Consider putting all this information over in the " Build Thread " as folks check out the thread constantly and you can put all the mods down along with any future adds ( say change in wheels and tires, etc. ). It also keeps the beast active for posterity since folks will see it later and comment on it. The introductions everyone enjoys, but it is not as highly read as the " Build Thread." Your car is a super sought after model, is a historic build in the Mustang lineage, and will create interest among Mustang Maniacs for years to come. Welcome and thanks for joining this merry band of Genus Equus Trackraticus!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Bellevue, Ne
Thank you for letting my join. I'm living in Bellevue, Ne... Know of a member on here of Bill Pemberton that told me to check it out. I grew up with Bill's son Ryan and worked with Bill for many years and He, Bob Woodhouse and Mark Jorgenson actually got me into autocross in my youth. Life happened and i'm debating on finding a 'stang to set up for Autocross once again.. I have a 1999 Saleen S281SC that I have been working on restoring that's finally drivable. Look forward to building some friendships and meeting some of you.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Thank you for letting my join. I'm living in Bellevue, Ne... Know of a member on here of Bill Pemberton that told me to check it out. I grew up with Bill's son Ryan and worked with Bill for many years and He, Bob Woodhouse and Mark Jorgenson actually got me into autocross in my youth. Life happened and i'm debating on finding a 'stang to set up for Autocross once again.. I have a 1999 Saleen S281SC that I have been working on restoring that's finally drivable. Look forward to building some friendships and meeting some of you.
Welcome!
Post up some pics of your ride and fill out a build thread....we love build threads.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Bellevue, Ne
I'll see about posting some of my Saleen project. I would say it was a rescue car for sure.. this past fall I got the torque boxes welded back in and put in new upper Ford Racing arms and some Maximum Motorsports adjustable lowers. I have wanted one since i was a kid and had a shot to get one for nothing out of pocket on a trade.. I knew she had a rough life and had seen some track duty.. but wow. It is now road worthy but isn't 100% perfect yet.. but i'm also fairly OCD. Ignore the messy garage...we just moved in at the time and it's been a bit hectic to say the least....D3DD2ADA-9AA3-461A-8AA6-F88C15DEF6DD.jpegD31C9AAE-C9F8-4CA4-BBF7-CF50286F261A.jpeg52A9C7DF-6BD5-423A-B23B-8278D9F423EE.jpegD7394902-AE1F-4A70-8B3F-3F0F9D694263.jpegE3210DF6-55BF-4861-9005-62EDEB6C8407.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Welcome!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors