The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MHX Oil Coolers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So CAl
I'm planning to delete the stock oil cooler when I get my Aluminator installed so I need a larger air-oil cooler. I ran a smaller Setrab with the stock cooler. The recommendation for a stand-alone Setrab is the 948. I've been looking at Improved Racing's website and their MHX line. They have two and three pass coolers that look pretty solid. Has anyone looked at these units or installed them? Thoughts?

Here is the unit I was thinking about. Supports 600HP.

Hi.
Remember that a two-pass or worse, a three-pass oil cooler (or water radiator) does not necessarily cool better. When you pass the fluid through three times, you effectively pass it through three small coolers. This causes the oil to remain in the cooler three times longer. Remember that cooling is a function of the temperature of the fluid passing through the cooler and the ambient temperature. The formula is Delta T, where you subtract the cooling medium from the fluid temperature. What is more, a multi-pass cooler will restrict the oil pressure. Pressure is a good thing with water radiators but not oil coolers.
The following website has a lot of content on cooling: Appliedspeed.com/blog

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So CAl
I do not see how much oil could leak back to the engine when the fittings are installed on the bottom of the cooler. The oil would have to go through the oil pump gears, and the engine bearings, etc., have little clearance to allow oil to pass through.

I ended up getting a Setrab 948. I already had the mount and I know they work so I didn't experiment. I have the smaller Setrab so I'll post it in classifieds if anyone is thinking of adding an additional cooler with the stock unit.

TMO Supporting Vendors