The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Minor Gripes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
dean_acheson said:
Actually, my only real gripe about the car that I can't fix are the gauges. I installed the LS package, which are great, but I can't read the speedo very quicking while driving.

Mph increments are hard to make out, IMHO, and I have to look for awhile to make sure i'm doing 75 and not 85 going down the highway. I know for the folks that just track, this isn't a big deal, but my car is my DD.
I found it hard to read at first. Now after 7000 miles on it I can read it just as quick as any other speedo. Just took me awhile. So give it a while you should adjust to it

I rather the gauges were flipped, so the tach was on the left. With how the wheel blocks it, I can only see the lower rpm and higher mph clearly which is backwards. I care about rpm up top where I have to shift, and mph up to about 75 because that is what is used on the street. And above 75 (track) I go by rpms. My last car had the tach centered, which was better.

At real world angles, not from straight on but looking down at it, the wheel is more like where the red line is, blocking the useful parts of the gauges. So either switch them or flip them would be better. Not sure how it is on the 13s. On my old car, I rotated most of the gauges so that the redzone starts with the needle straight up, for instant recognition. I've never seen that in an OEM setup though.

2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-gauges.jpg

Justin

CaliMR said:
I rather the gauges were flipped, so the tach was on the left. With how the wheel blocks it, I can only see the lower rpm and higher mph clearly which is backwards. I care about rpm up top where I have to shift, and mph up to about 75 because that is what is used on the street. And above 75 (track) I go by rpms. My last car had the tach centered, which was better.
you have time to stare at the tach lol
get a little raptor shift light set it and no more worries about staring at a tach :)

I read a horror story about someone getting the wrong one shipped several times :p

I plan on getting a digital all in one off the OBD and sticking it in the DMZ between the gauges at some point, just been lazy.

Justin

CaliMR said:
I read a horror story about someone getting the wrong one shipped several times :p

I plan on getting a digital all in one off the OBD and sticking it in the DMZ between the gauges at some point, just been lazy.
yeah dont get the dual stage one and you will be good to go lol

CaliMR said:
I agree, it would be better if the gauges were flipped. In a Porsche you can rotate the tach so redline is at high noon. I wish that was possible in our cars.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
This has been a very interesting thread, Thanks dscowan. I have a few gripes/questions?

Why does the Boss have the audio controls on the right side of the steering wheel? Wouldn't it be more ergonomic to have on the left side where your hand is almost always on the wheel, like most cars do?

My other question is why does the Boss have auto headlights? If anything give us daytime running lights for insurance discounts? I have a 2012, maybe the 13's have?

And again.. I wish we had a telescoping flat bottom steering wheel like many performance cars have. :mad:

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Most people are right handed, thus controls on right side. '13's have DRLs, '12's do not.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
ace72ace said:
Most people are right handed, thus controls on right side.

??? Most Cars have audio controls on left hand side thus disagree with your statement. Thanks for your opinion though.

Just makes sense to me that audio controls be on the left hand side. Your right hand change the gearz, cruise is used far less often than radio. Does not make sense and is quite annoying to me. Just my opinion.

5 DOT 0 said:
CaliMR said:
I agree, it would be better if the gauges were flipped. In a Porsche you can rotate the tach so redline is at high noon. I wish that was possible in our cars.

Which years? My bro has an early 996, now I want to go try it.

I like the auto headlights, they turn on as I pull into the garage so I can see how far I am from the wall.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
I like the auto headlights, they turn on as I pull into the garage so I can see how far I am from the wall

I am old school I guess, still use a tennis ball hanging.. when the ball hits the glass I am in.. No guess work, and works well. Funny, perfect for the rawness of the Boss.

I hung a bit of cardboard from the back wall, when I get close the fan sucking pulls it against the bumper. Then when I shut the car off, it falls away.

Justin said:
dean_acheson said:
Actually, my only real gripe about the car that I can't fix are the gauges. I installed the LS package, which are great, but I can't read the speedo very quicking while driving.

Mph increments are hard to make out, IMHO, and I have to look for awhile to make sure i'm doing 75 and not 85 going down the highway. I know for the folks that just track, this isn't a big deal, but my car is my DD.
I found it hard to read at first. Now after 7000 miles on it I can read it just as quick as any other speedo. Just took me awhile. So give it a while you should adjust to it

I doubt it, since I'm a year and a half in, and drive it every day.

I think that some of these mods would help the original poster:

295273_10151176075306928_188527014_n.jpg

Justin

dean_acheson said:
Justin said:
dean_acheson said:

I doubt it, since I'm a year and a half in, and drive it every day.

I think that some of these mods would help the original poster:

295273_10151176075306928_188527014_n.jpg
details please. That looks very nice.

Well, I got the floor mats you suggested, which I like alot, and the OP mentioned not liking the floor mats.

Got the LS gauges installed.

Installed an AVIC-X920BT and the Scoshe dash kit. The radio is last gen, I transferred it over from my Bullitt that I traded in.

http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/2255

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-X920BT

Any of the new in dash double-din units come with voice activated controls that work pretty well and blue tooth right in with your smart phone. If you look (and this is why I took the picture the way I did) you can see the mike that I attached to the overhead light unit. It picks up very well there.

You have to buy an adaptor kit, and a little unit that works with your steering wheel, so all of my wheel controls still work, and, of course, your sat radio equiptment and install it. Installation is a bit of work, but doable if you have zero stereo experience, which before my Bullitt I didn't, and I just transferred all of that over to my Boss. You just have the read all of the instructions SLOWLY and CAREFULLY, and in my case, about sixteen times while installing, having said that, I kind of enjoyed it. Also, while doing this, you might as well replace the door speakers with some quailty units, which I did. It's really pretty easy and the sound quality is much better. The AVIC had a small in-built amp, and the quality of it over the factory radio is very surprising. Also, I installed a rear view camera that hides above the license plate and turns on in the screen whenever you shift into reverse.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=280&CategoryID=26

http://metraonline.com/part/ASWC

575580_10150798587811928_1355812085_n.jpg
You can see the rear view camera image here.

Also, the MGW shifter, and the base white shifter ball they offer. I didn't get the fancy one. I like the white ball (I have a PW car) and I'm happy having the MGW logo on the side, because while I'm not big on advertising and stickers on my car, I'm proud of the shifter and think it's a quality unit, and I'm proud to say that I'v got one installed. It's a bit bigger than the factory unit, which I also like.

Still not a fan of the speedometer numbers.... ;)

The Boss is a great car, and some of these things, in my opinion, make it a better daily driver, while not making it look overly modded. It was very important to me for my rig to still look as stock as possible.

TMO Supporting Vendors