The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 tranny oil question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have my just rebuilt MT82 gear box ready to go in.... (I hope I remember what I did a month ago!).

I am putting in Redline MTL oil and the local rep is suggesting I put in Redline Lightweight Shock Proof additive...... Any body know anything about it???

When I switched to the amsoil synchromesh it shifted completely different and better. I know that sounds crazy but it did. It's great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
When I switched to the amsoil synchromesh it shifted completely different and better. I know that sounds crazy but it did. It's great stuff.

Was after the motorcraft oil??

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Cool, I was wondering what the track stangs use a guideline as far as hours on the track vs oil change. Both Royal Purple and Redline lead to a nicer feeling gear box though.....

Would like to see this new tranny last more then two seasons.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
BG Synchroshift II. In over 17000 track miles and another 25000 street miles between two cars I have never failed a MT82.

Maybe its me!!! I have been through to 4! or was it five, lost count!! Will look into the BG syncrosift oil for the next change. How often did you change your oil??

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Cool, I had no idea there was a Mobil 1 tranny oil. Being using Mobil 1 5w50 since the car was new. Nobody has BG oil down here so will have to import it.

drano38

Wayne
Anyone recall the capacity? I am going to order MTL. Also, how do you guys refill? Any tricks or suggestions? Thanks!

I rand Redline MLT a few years and switched to Amsoil this year. Still shifts fine. Don't see a marked difference. I shift slow and methodical with my fingers (not manhandle/force it), so maybe that helps

I fill the diff and tranny with a CoolTech Lube Mover. I added a ball valve to control the on/off precisely. For the tranny, I slip on an adapter and reduce to 1/8" hose to fit in the tranny fill hole better. It flows much slower, but overall works great.
http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/70--cool-tech-llc-s-lube-mover.html

TMO Supporting Vendors