The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Muffler inner pipe removal

I know a lot of people change the factory Boss mufflers for the GT500 mufflers, primarily for sound, but I'm sure for looks as well.

I have checked know the exhaust tips on a boss and gt500 are the exact same size and with the side exhaust I really like the way my car sounds. I do however HATE the small exhaust pipe inside the exhaust tips!! Has anyone cut those out? If so, is there an easy way to do that?
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
T1000 said:
I know a lot of people change the factory Boss mufflers for the GT500 mufflers, primarily for sound, but I'm sure for looks as well.

I have checked know the exhaust tips on a boss and gt500 are the exact same size and with the side exhaust I really like the way my car sounds. I do however HATE the small exhaust pipe inside the exhaust tips!! Has anyone cut those out? If so, is there an easy way to do that?
do you want to cut them out of the boss mufflers? the gt500's dont have them in them thats the easiest way just get GT500 mufflers.
 
I really didn't like the double tail pipe look and they sound a lot better than stock. Pair them up with some 3/4" exhaust discs for the perfect sound. ;)
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NFSBOSS said:
I really didn't like the double tail pipe look and they sound a lot better than stock. Pair them up with some 3/4" exhaust discs for the perfect sound. ;)
the GT500's sounded pretty good way better then the stockers and looked better with out the pipe in a pipe look. the price is great on them as well. I do miss them once and a while. the magnaflows and no cats on the boss now just sound plain evil :)
 
As a follow up to my initial post, last night I cut out the inner pipe. I used a dremel with the metal cutting disc. I cut 2" out and it put the pipe right at the area where the tip is welded. The dremel disc's worked well and I only used 4 disc's out of a 5 pack. Took about 30 min total and I feel looks a lot better. I'd like to post a pic but don't know how to upload......sorry
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
T1000 said:
As a follow up to my initial post, last night I cut out the inner pipe. I used a dremel with the metal cutting disc. I cut 2" out and it put the pipe right at the area where the tip is welded. The dremel disc's worked well and I only used 4 disc's out of a 5 pack. Took about 30 min total and I feel looks a lot better. I'd like to post a pic but don't know how to upload......sorry
give this thread a read
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=212.0
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top