The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My motor blew up......now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I use zero mishimoto stuff.
Fragola fittings and a Ford racing Adapter plate and remote filter.
I don't like any sandwich plates. They all look very restrictive inside.
The Mishimoto sandwich plate with current lines and stock radiator worked great for three years but never knew temps. It is a small plate. I don't know how or where to install a remote filter. Lines I can purchase and make. If you can give me some step by step instructions or pics on how it all comes together I can do it. I lost my job a month ago so I'm not paying someone stupid money to do this. I am having a hard time even finding a -AN12 sandwich plate and it will be way tight in that small recess with those lines.
You need more airflow through your grill to start with. The Boss grill doesn’t flow enough air with fog light covers installed (that’s why they are supposed to be removed for track use). Your other grill is probably a better choice.

Address the grill then the AN line and fitting size. You should also look at venting your hood. Race Louvers has sets for your car.
I have a Tiger Racing hood.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
It won't be as trick as the Fabman stuff, but you can create the ducting using plastic panels. It's much easier to work with.
I think this is what you are looking for.

If not, I'm sure they can send you in the right direction. Make the panels out of cardboard first, then cut them out of the plastic using a saber or jig saw. Bend up some tabs, and get a pop rivetter and your a frabricator..
No one out there that I know of can match Fabman's skills.
Alumalite works well here too.

It won't be as trick as the Fabman stuff, but you can create the ducting using plastic panels. It's much easier to work with.
I think this is what you are looking for.

If not, I'm sure they can send you in the right direction. Make the panels out of cardboard first, then cut them out of the plastic using a saber or jig saw. Bend up some tabs, and get a pop rivetter and your a frabricator..
No one out there that I know of can match Fabman's skills.
I am a little handy and like learning so I may try this. Yes.....Fabman I am not

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The Mishimoto sandwich plate with current lines and stock radiator worked great for three years but never knew temps. It is a small plate. I don't know how or where to install a remote filter. Lines I can purchase and make. If you can give me some step by step instructions or pics on how it all comes together I can do it. I lost my job a month ago so I'm not paying someone stupid money to do this. I am having a hard time even finding a -AN12 sandwich plate and it will be way tight in that small recess with those lines.

I have a Tiger Racing hood.
Sorry to hear about your job, that really sucks.

You probably won’t find a -12 sandwich plate.
I mounted mine on the outside of the frame rail.
The rear hose here was swapped to the front of the filter housing where that blue plug is. Everything I’ve done is chronicled in my build thread including part selections. There also is a couple oil cooler threads on here where this was recently covered.

Remember, my perspective pertains to race cars, not street cars.
Your mileage may vary.

IMG_4530.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I am a little handy and like learning so I may try this. Yes.....Fabman I am not
Start with opening up the grill and ducting. If you are not turning crazy rpm like some of us are you might be ok with the -10 lines, I don’t know about that. I only know about full race stuff. Others here are more street oriented.

Start with opening up the grill and ducting. If you are not turning crazy rpm like some of us are you might be ok with the -10 lines, I don’t know about that. I only know about full race stuff. Others here are more street oriented.
My car is gutted and not street use. I will eventually be getting a cage. Wheel to wheel may happen at some point. I have removed anything I don't need so it's a race car at this point.

The rear hose here was swapped to the front of the filter housing where that blue plug is. Everything I’ve done is chronicled in my build thread including part selections. There also is a couple oil cooler threads on here where this was recently covered.

Your mileage may vary.

View attachment 88257
Ok thanks.......I will start going through your build. I have seen much of it but probably not everything. For me, I really need step by step guidance for stuff like this. Details matter for a nube.

Wish I could just bring it down the road to Marshall Mast at Phoenix and let him do it. I have the time right now but it will take me 4X the hours lol

Last edited:

Your mileage may vary.

View attachment 88257
You have 211 pages on your build to date lol. Any chance you can zero me in on where the oil filter relocation sits?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You have 211 pages on your build to date lol. Any chance you can zero me in on where the oil filter relocation sits?
let me get back to you when i have time to do some research and writing....at the moment I need to deal with work :(

366823777_649306840498103_6752313548155153847_n.jpg

Be careful with the Ford adapter on a Gen 3 block. At least on the 5.2L Gen 3 block (i.e. Predator block), one of the adapter ports does not align with the block ports requiring either porting of the block passage or of the adapter. Steve Esposito ported the adapter. I do not remember how it aligns with the 5.0L Gen 3 block ports.

The Moroso sandwhich plate has -12AN outlets. It is not advertised as such, but the one I had did have ports large enough for -12AN. The Setrab Hyperflow billet sandwich plates internal ports are larger than -12AN.

However, if you move to a remote filter, you can change to a FL1-A filter thread and run a Wix's racing filter.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Be careful with the Ford adapter on a Gen 3 block. At least on the 5.2L Gen 3 block (i.e. Predator block), one of the adapter ports does not align with the block ports requiring either porting of the block passage or of the adapter. Steve Esposito ported the adapter. I do not remember how it aligns with the 5.0L Gen 3 block ports.

The Moroso sandwhich plate has -12AN outlets. It is not advertised as such, but the one I had did have ports large enough for -12AN. The Setrab Hyperflow billet sandwich plates internal ports are larger than -12AN.

However, if you move to a remote filter, you can change to a FL1-A filter thread and run a Wix's racing filter.
Mine is a gen 3 block with the gen 2 adapter...I don't remember any issues with fitment....maybe I missed something?
Maybe Shaun installed it I don't remember.....I'll, see if he remembers.

While a sandwich plate may not be ideal, at this moment I would prefer it so I can just plug and play with new lines. Remote can come later when I actually have play money left lol

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
No hurry.....sitting here with nothing to do so I have to remember other folks are actually working lol
too bad you're so far away, I could put you to work.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Same on the Gen 3 5.0 blocks. I ported the engine block side before assembling the short block - pretty amazing how much material had to be removed for proper alignment.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel