The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

need a new truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Having had 3 Diesels prior to my 2014 Ram, I concur that a gasoline powered truck is the way to go unless you are dragging around a really heavy enclosed trailer. I pulled a 26 ft. enclosed trailer all over the US with the 5.7 Hemi, and have already gone to the East Coast twice with my new 2022 Ram CrewCab. Sure I only get around 9-11 pulling most of the time, but the issue comes down to fuel prices and everyday driving. Spring and Summer I get 18-21 mpg and with Diesel .50 -1.00 more per gallon it just doesn't pay out , so I agree staying with gasoline is the way to proceed for what you are pulling, imho.

2010 F150 with 210K miles on it.. even has the cheesy 4.6 not the 5.4. It does however have the long wheel base(4 door) 4 wheel disc brakes and the trailer package, Like you said though, I'd like to get another truck, but at these prices.. no way am I going to lay out $60K for a used vehicle, I'll rebuild this one until it turns to dust.
FmjNaANl.jpg

Last edited:
CA
Having had 3 Diesels prior to my 2014 Ram, I concur that a gasoline powered truck is the way to go unless you are dragging around a really heavy enclosed trailer. I pulled a 26 ft. enclosed trailer all over the US with the 5.7 Hemi, and have already gone to the East Coast twice with my new 2022 Ram CrewCab. Sure I only get around 9-11 pulling most of the time, but the issue comes down to fuel prices and everyday driving. Spring and Summer I get 18-21 mpg and with Diesel .50 -1.00 more per gallon it just doesn't pay out , so I agree staying with gasoline is the way to proceed for what you are pulling, imho.
This is a sticky one. Depending on use, the initial purchase premium of the diesel (~$10,000) can pay for itself depending on how you use the truck. But in all the calculations I've done it's 10 years or more. For my application, it was closer to 13 years. And that calc did not include the extra cost of diesel servicing vs gas. So in reality it's probably closer to 20-25 years. LOL.

But also, when you look at used diesel values vs used gas truck values, it's not like that initial extra $10,000 turns to dust. You usually get a large % of it back when you go to sell the truck. For most people, a 3/4 truck is an emotional purchase; they want the clout and confidence of the big "beast" rig. Most people are not towing more than 10k lbs, therefore, most people can have a 1/2 ton truck and will never "need" more. Your experience with the 5.7 towing a 26' enclosed speaks volumes to that. The 99' F-250 for example; gas versions of them are at most $10,000 for one in perfect condition, but a nice 99' 7.3L powerstroke is a $25k+ truck. Who knows if the same thing will happen with the newer trucks, but it is something to consider.

From a strictly reliability standpoint, I agree, gas is the way to go. The entire reason ford came out with the gas 7.3L was due to fleet complaints of 6.7 diesel cost. I've heard that if/when the diesel trucks have any issue with the DEF system, the truck goes into limp mode. So in theory, one little sensor (def fluid level) could put your truck into limp mode. Not what you want when towing mountain grades and things like that.

This is a sticky one. Depending on use, the initial purchase premium of the diesel (~$10,000) can pay for itself depending on how you use the truck. But in all the calculations I've done it's 10 years or more. For my application, it was closer to 13 years. And that calc did not include the extra cost of diesel servicing vs gas. So in reality it's probably closer to 20-25 years. LOL.

But also, when you look at used diesel values vs used gas truck values, it's not like that initial extra $10,000 turns to dust. You usually get a large % of it back when you go to sell the truck. For most people, a 3/4 truck is an emotional purchase; they want the clout and confidence of the big "beast" rig. Most people are not towing more than 10k lbs, therefore, most people can have a 1/2 ton truck and will never "need" more. Your experience with the 5.7 towing a 26' enclosed speaks volumes to that. The 99' F-250 for example; gas versions of them are at most $10,000 for one in perfect condition, but a nice 99' 7.3L powerstroke is a $25k+ truck. Who knows if the same thing will happen with the newer trucks, but it is something to consider.

From a strictly reliability standpoint, I agree, gas is the way to go. The entire reason ford came out with the gas 7.3L was due to fleet complaints of 6.7 diesel cost. I've heard that if/when the diesel trucks have any issue with the DEF system, the truck goes into limp mode. So in theory, one little sensor (def fluid level) could put your truck into limp mode. Not what you want when towing mountain grades and things like that.
Since firetrucks use over the road diesels, the same rules apply, we've had diesels go into re gen, and take the engine RPM away from the pump operator, they have also started fires and, gone into no start mode when the DEF is low. We've tried to get off road exemptions for fire trucks, but the Hitler youth at the EPA and DOT won't allow it because a .5 degree change in temp over 20 years by limiting an extremely tiny market share is more important than the immediate needs of a burning house or.... an EV?

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I loved the towing ability of the Diesel and selling both Rams and Fords the resale on one is good enough you virtually get back he extra for the engine you pony up, but .............for day to day driving the 1/2 ton is just the way to go for so many. My wife absolutely loves my Ram , will take it herself to go someplace ( she says it drives like a dream ) and I could barely get her into a 3/4 ton and she only drove one of them once.

Initial cost, daily use, normal fuel cost, etc. just push one towards a 1/2 ton quite often, though in decades past one needed a 3/4 ton to pull a trailer the size I have. There is plenty to be said about the solid power of today's trucks.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota

That's the problem with the diesels today, a sensor can put you on the trailer. The Chevy trucks in the fleet had problems with bad DEF sensors, contaminated fluid. Tanks don't have a drain. Pull the tank' drain the stuff in clean buckets, doesn't look contaminated. Put in new sensor, new fluid, two months later same problem. No fluid has been added. Another bad sensor. Pour the "contaminated" DEF into the Ford's or Dodge's, no problem.
Ford's and Dodges had fuel pump issues, water in the fuel was the usual BS reply, no warranty. As the fleet turned over gasser 1 ton and lighter trucks were purchased.
My thought were that the new diesel emissions were going to be similar to what we experienced with gas engines back in the '70's and '80's. Throw some crap on them to meet emissions, then spend the next 10-15 years figuring out how to make them reliable and also run better.
As far as exemptions go for emissions standards that isn't going to happen. The county engineers in my state were sure plow trucks would be exempt, mighty disappointed when they found out that wasn't the case. Exhaust system modification and rerouting was almost always done on all of our trucks and then, no more.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Maryland
I haven't seen anyone mention the Chevy/Ram 1500 baby diesels. For a combined DD and tow vehicle (open trailer only), they do very well. I got 19 mpg towing on the flats with my 2015 Ram baby diesel(27mpg not towing), with bladder busting driving ranges. I sold it because of potential emission issues, and I wanted to move up to a box trailers (2500 Cummings Ram FTW). Buddy has a newer Chevy baby diesel and loves it. My Ram baby Diesel did not hold its value well, so consider buying used.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I loved the towing ability of the Diesel and selling both Rams and Fords the resale on one is good enough you virtually get back he extra for the engine you pony up, but .............for day to day driving the 1/2 ton is just the way to go for so many. My wife absolutely loves my Ram , will take it herself to go someplace ( she says it drives like a dream ) and I could barely get her into a 3/4 ton and she only drove one of them once.

Initial cost, daily use, normal fuel cost, etc. just push one towards a 1/2 ton quite often, though in decades past one needed a 3/4 ton to pull a trailer the size I have. There is plenty to be said about the solid power of today's trucks.
The landscape has changed drastically since I bought my Ram 2500 Cummins. Back then there was no DEF and no DPF. Diesel fuel was 15% cheaper than gas and mpg was 20% more. The diesel option box added something like $4,000 to the cost. The EPA drastically changed regulations resulting in the added expense of DEF and DPF as well as the change in diesel fuel driving up the cost and decreasing the efficiency. In the current situation I would probably be looking at a gas motor. The government has nullified most of the advantages of owning a diesel at this point. Luckily mine is still serviceable and I am able to avoid having to make a decision on a replacement.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
I use a Hensley Arrow hitch on my Outdoors RV 270RLS. I bought it in 2001 for the Arctic Fox 26X that we had then. Somewhat spendy, but I recommend them to all. There marketing videos are insane, but the product does what they claim.

1 old racer

Too blessed to be stressed and old track whore,
Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
The orig reason we thought about replacing it is due to me looking to retire in a year or so and I dont want any payments. So it is kinda now or never. But after looking at new full size crew cab 4x4's and the prices that they want for them, and because of that price considered a smaller one, we have decided to keep the old Titan, It only has just over 80k on the clock and will take a lot of years to wear it out. So we will spend a few bucks to refreshing the whole truck and replace the sun damaged bed liner, other sun damaged items and just keep it. In its life it has taken us off roading all over the western U.S., pulled my tilt bed car trailer, my 24 foot RV, bacame our off road tent camper and has hauled dirt, gravel and a host of trash runs. It was use to move my youngest daughter and stuff to Montana to pursue her Masters and next month it will be used to return her and stuff. It will also be used by her as she heads out across the Cali Desert and mountains to explore Geo sites so she can finish her field work in plate tectonics (needed for her field work for her Phd). I cant think of a better veh she should use then the truck she grew up with and used that got her interested in Geology in the first place.

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I use a Hensley Arrow hitch on my Outdoors RV 270RLS. I bought it in 2001 for the Arctic Fox 26X that we had then. Somewhat spendy, but I recommend them to all. There marketing videos are insane, but the product does what they claim.
Nice to see another ORV owner. I have a ProPride hitch on my Outdoors RV 24RLS. I pull it with a 2018 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 3.5L EcoBoost 6.5ft box with Max Tow package. These hitches are not cheap but damn do they make towing easy. Trailer sway just doesn't happen. The EcoBoost just doesn't quit either, just keep fuel in the tank.

1 old racer

Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
I do have a Equal-i-zer 4 point sway control hitch system and brake controler and they are great. When I tow cars or RV trailers I get about 10 mpg. Lucky I dont dont it very often. As far as power and torque it does have a lower geared diff then the std Titan 4x4. And with the EBC yellow stuff pads it stops pretty good.

1 old racer

Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
Hold on to that Titan old racer!!!....That truck will earn it's keep for many more years...I have an '08 Tacoma that hasn't let me down yet....just had to replace 2 batteries along the way.
Out side of the lift and tires and other slight mods, I too have only replaced two battery's. The last one only about a month ago. And my daughter is glad I am going to keep it.

Just replaced my 08 Toyota Tundra with a 2016 Tundra Platinum. Pulls the Boss and loaded 24' enclosed without drama......with a weight distributing hitch, Sumo helper springs and TRD rear sway bar. The 08 had over 200K miles and still felt like a new truck. This 16 Platinum is another level but also has 130K fewer miles. Reliable as they get.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
If still thinking about small trucks, it may be worth checking on the '23 Chevy Colorado. Has a beefy 2.7 4cyl turbo, 300hp+ and almost 400 ft/lbs of torque in the middle tune, and an integrated brake controller for its 7700lbs tow capacity. No tacoma will touch that power level.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Just to revive this thread a little. The current batch of 1/2 ton diesels really has me intrigued. I don't think I was aware that they were even a thing until recently. The 3L inline 6 diesel in the Chevy looks really nice and can do 30+ mpg without a trailer. Anyone have experience towing with one?

Just to revive this thread a little. The current batch of 1/2 ton diesels really has me intrigued. I don't think I was aware that they were even a thing until recently. The 3L inline 6 diesel in the Chevy looks really nice and can do 30+ mpg without a trailer. Anyone have experience towing with one?
They are so new, that nobody I know has driven one. If they work as advertised, they have some potential, GM needed something in their line up to combat the eco boosts, but I'm sure it won't be long until Ford does the same. Ford learned the hard way about designing thier own diesels when they went away from the ultra dependable internationals to their own line. Maybe GM has less of a learning curve.. we'll see, but I think I would wait a year or 2.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel