The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Boss or Original Boss??? Decisions, decisions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC, I deleted one of your double posts and it deleted both. Sorry about that. I was able to grab it from my cache.

"Quote from: 7500RPM on February 28, 2013, 05:33:25 AM

Just to add to these great comments, there are a number of us on this forum that were fortunate to experience the good old days of the '60's and early '70's muscle cars and trust me that was a magical time for us that were there at the time.

Having said that, "The good old days are here today" and these new generation limited edition Boss cars that were produced for a 2 year run in 2011 and 2012 are not neing produced anymore so I suggest any automotive enthusiast that wants something special should act quickly in order to own one of these classic cars.

To all of the new Boss owners you may not realize it but you are experiencing and going through exactly what us older fellows went through back some 40 plus years ago. Many of you are the original owners of these limited edition run of Boss cars and that opportunity may not come around for quite some time so enjoy your experience with these great cars just as we did back in the sixties and seventies. This time around the documentation and paperwork for these cars are much better let alone the outstanding performance of the world class automobiles.

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience the thrill and excitement of the early Boss cars and again with these new generation Boss cars. These new Boss cars take me back to my early youth and am very greatful for this experience.

Trust me, whoever purchased one of these new 2 year run limited edition Boss cars has purchased something special and as time goes on you will begin to understand and appreciate how great and special these new Boss cars are.

;)

This is a well said version of my sentiments, too. I'd add that the old Boss will require you have great repair skills, have a keen sense of emerging mechanical problems, and probably a limited travel range until you're very comfortable with the health of the drive train. I don't suspect most owners of 69/70 Boss' take theirs on impulse drives through twisty mountain passes very frequently. Don't forget the security factor - the older cars are way easier to break into and/or steal. This will also limit where you can even park it.

To me it would come down to: do I want to enjoy showing it (old), or enjoy driving it (new). Either will look great in your garage on the way to your daily driver. "

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
7500RPM said:
Having owned many muscle cars over 40 years plus and presently owning 3 LS cars the decision for me is simple. The new generation Boss cars are far superior to anything that I drove back in the '60's and '70's.

Good Luck.

Harry

8)

Harry, how about a picture of your 3 Boss' together? That would be a sweet photo.

Brian

They're both bad ass in their own right. Just two totally different animals. Hell.....my 88 Fox hatch, 5.0 is like a dinosaur compared to my CO '12 Boss!! :)

From personal experience, if you have to choose between the new Boss and a restored muscle car, I would take the Boss.

I finished a frame off restoration of my 1970 Olds 442 4-speed car about four years ago. I did everything except the metal plating, paint, and A/C component restoration myself (I did install, evacuate, and charge the A/C). The car is a work of art that drives better than when it came out of the factory and the fit and trim is much better too.

If I had to choose between the two, I would not even hesitate to take my Boss and sell the Olds. My Boss is not a daily driver, but I do put about 5K a year on it with weekend road trips. I also do a few HPDE's here and there. I simply love driving it.

I hardly drive my Olds. It is mechanically reliable, but I am scared to death that something will happen to it - even a stone chip. Plus, if something does happen, finding good usable 40 year Old parts can be a problem. I have put less than 1,000 miles on the car since I finished the restoration. Finally, it does take more maintenance and most modern mechanics are lost when it comes to carbs, points, etcetera.

Finally, the Boss cost me half of what it cost for me to buy and restore the Olds. That is with me doing most of the restoration myself.....

Hope this helps.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
The maintenance factor for the 1970 Boss is starting to be huge. I just sunk a lot of money into diagnostics of a brake issue recently which eventually led into a pending rebuild of the steering box. On the stuff that I can fix myself, I have to choose between spending hours on the garage floor or driving the new one. Still, it's been a labor of love for the most part and I don't regret the decision to restore it.

It was raining steadily in Seattle today (who would have thought?) and I didn't hesitate to take out the new Boss. I don't even think about backing out the old one if it's cloudy!

Trio_zps5c7d1651.jpg

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I don't own an original Boss but I don't think this was even a thought for most original Boss owners until the new Boss came out. Up until then, what could compare? The new Shelby's are nice, but with all the options it seemed just like a loaded up Mustang with a big motor and you were paying for the name. But the Boss was built for a specific purpose, the track, just like the original ones were. I have read were most people think that the new Boss also carried forward the same spirit and stayed true to the original Boss. So, same spirit, just updated and it is fun to drive.

Brian

TMO Supporting Vendors