The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New FR Shifter + Bracket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken it looks good. My shift ball shipped and will arrive by next weekend.

PJWANNABE said:
1. The shfit boot doesn't fit on the shaft (it is riding up near the ball). Apparently there is a spacer on the top of the boot for the stock ball shifter which makes it incompatible (a point noted on the Barton web site but not FRPP). I need to call FRPP Monday to see what I or they can do about it.

Darren's photo shows the boot fitting fine, maybe he can help you with that one.

GA
F.D. Sako said:
Darren's photo shows the boot fitting fine, maybe he can help you with that one.

Barton notes on their site that the alumiminum shift ball is not compatible which I had, so I am not sure if the Boss comes with the standard GT boot or the 401A boot.

Darren, did you have to do any modification to get your boot to fit properly? I have about a 1" plastic spacer a the top of the boot that will prevent the adapter from screwing down far enough to screw on the ball (I haven't tried it myself yet but that is what the dealer tech told me).

Sesshomurai

PJWANNABE said:
Barton notes on their site that the alumiminum shift ball is not compatible which I had, so I am not sure if the Boss comes with the standard GT boot or the 401A boot.

Darren, did you have to do any modification to get your boot to fit properly? I have about a 1" plastic spacer a the top of the boot that will prevent the adapter from screwing down far enough to screw on the ball (I haven't tried it myself yet but that is what the dealer tech told me).

Nope. The boot fit...errr...like a glove. I checked this morning it's snug.

Also, after two hard sessions (145mph+) at VIR, I have not had one bad shift or lockout. I did heavy braking hard shifts from 5th to 4th while rev matching and also without rev matching (but only in the correct speed range) to see how it can deal on under different conditions. I also did a couple 5th to 3rd rev matched shifts while heavy braking. All was ok.

GA
DGRacing said:
Nope. The boot fit...errr...like a glove. I checked this morning it's snug.

Also, after two hard sessions (145mph+) at VIR, I have not had one bad shift or lockout. I did heavy braking hard shifts from 5th to 4th while rev matching and also without rev matching (but only in the correct speed range) to see how it can deal on under different conditions. I also did a couple 5th to 3rd rev matched shifts while heavy braking. All was ok.

Looking at the Barton installation video again it looks like the standard GT shift boot is wider at the top. They probably had to make it narrower for the aluminum shft ball shifter. It looks like I need to order the other one (only a $30 or so dollar part so no biggie).

Glad to hear the shifter performance on the track was good.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
PJWANNABE said:
Looking at the Barton installation video again it looks like the standard GT shift boot is wider at the top. They probably had to make it narrower for the aluminum shft ball shifter. It looks like I need to order the other one (only a $30 or so dollar part so no biggie).

Glad to hear the shifter performance on the track was good.
Standard 400A interior had wide based knob and boot, 401A premium GT and 500A Boss have the tinin aluminum stem below the ball. Different boots, GT500 boot Alcantara, works with the Boss knob too. I have my 401A boot available if anyone needs one.
Steve

GA
steveespo said:
Standard 400A interior had wide based knob and boot, 401A premium GT and 500A Boss have the tinin aluminum stem below the ball. Different boots, GT500 boot Alcantara, works with the Boss knob too. I have my 401A boot available if anyone needs one.
Steve

OK, now I'm confused. So should the 401A boot work with this shifter if Darren's worked?

GA
Looks great, Rick. 8) I love mine (and the shifter too). I called Ford Racing and sent them pictures and they are looking into the boot thing. The spacer in my boot feels like it would never fit over the shaft, so I'll see what they say.

GA
PJWANNABE said:
Looks great, Rick. 8) I love mine (and the shifter too). I called Ford Racing and sent them pictures and they are looking into the boot thing. The spacer in my boot feels like it would never fit over the shaft, so I'll see what they say.

Well, FRPP has not emailed me back yet, but I see this note now on the product page of the shifter that confirms what I thought:

-Includes white Ford Racing logo shifter ball. Ford Racing shifter ball and adapter only fits cars originally equipped with leather shift knob. Will not fit vehicles originally equipped with aluminum shift knob.
-Vehicles originally equipped with aluminum shift knob require reuse of factory shift knob or installation of shifter boot BR3Z-7277-A

https://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22939

The Boss must use a different adapter than mine. I ordered the BR3Z-7277-A shift boot off E-bay. I probably should have waited to see if they would send me one but I just want to get it installed so it looks right. I will just ask them to send me some decals or something for my trouble.

Sesshomurai

Cool. Hopefully you get it all resolved.

I've been slamming this shifter hard under WOT and it's holding steady. It's just a stop-gap until I dump the tranny and clutch later but I will abuse it enough before then. It's sturdy.

GA
NFSBOSS said:
I'm using the Alcantara boot from the GT500 and it works fine.

The issue is the diameter of the Barton shifter shaft, not really the adapter and knob. It's like a lead pipe. The stock shifter shafter is smaller. Since you only changed the knob you would not run into the problem.

GA
DGRacing said:
Cool. Hopefully you get it all resolved.

I've been slamming this shifter hard under WOT and it's holding steady. It's just a stop-gap until I dump the tranny and clutch later but I will abuse it enough before then. It's sturdy.

It's like night and day compared to the stock shifter. I love it.

Justin said:
anyone buy one that had a MGW and prefer it over the MGW?

x2. I am a month away from being able to drive mine regularly and was thinking about getting on the mgw wait list...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel