The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New FR Shifter + Bracket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Z20WHAT said:
Shifter is on my list. Was leaning toward Hurst, but this caught my eye when I saw it on Ford Racing's site... Don't you currently have the Hurst, Darren?. Will be anxious to read how it compares.

Yeah, I have the hurst and its fine (better than stock). There is still (less often) lockout because I didn't install the barton bracket I also have. Then I saw this shifter come on the market and decided to go with it since it was designed as a single system.

Let us know if the shift ball fits the stock shift shaft. ;D

GA
NFSBOSS said:
Sweet. I'll call FR and Barton tomorrow and report back if they have a part number.

Edit: I just sent Barton an email and their website states that their knobs fit stock shafts.

I didn't see one on the FRPP web site. I think they probably knew people would do that or buy a Barton shifter cheaper and the shift ball from FRPP. I have seen several lower prices online ranging from 412-450 for this FRPP shifter.

Is there any advantage with the single unit FR shifter vs the 2 piece (upper and lower shift box) MGW shifter?
Looks like the throw percent reduction is better with the FR shifter, but is the 10% worth the extra $$$? Any opinions on the Barton shifter?

Guys, I just installed the barton 2-post bracket as seen in the ford racing picture and I can tell you it made all the difference in the world. I am not going to replace the shifter as this 2-post bracket works great. Just thought I would pass that along if you are looking for a less expensive method of improving your shifter without having to replace the entire shifter.

BossCar0076 said:
Guys, I just installed the barton 2-post bracket as seen in the ford racing picture and I can tell you it made all the difference in the world. I am not going to replace the shifter as this 2-post bracket works great. Just thought I would pass that along if you are looking for a less expensive method of improving your shifter without having to replace the entire shifter.

So is this the stock shifter on the Barton 2 post bracket ????????
thanks

Sesshomurai

By the way I have a new barton two-post bracket I'll sell for $99+shipping. 8)

GA
I just pulled the trigger on one of these today. 8) I called my dealer hookups and they are giving it to me for about $10 over cost. I am having them put it in for me next Friday. I decided to give up my Road Atlanta day to help pay for it, but I will be trying it out at Barber next month. ;D

Tulsa, OK
MGCurry said:
Anyone have a friend with a mgw to try back to back? Would love to hear the comparison

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had the first gen Barton shifter and bracket for a few months then switched to MGW. I liked the Barton and it felt good but the shifts were very notchy and almost too short in my opinion. I also had a weird fourth gear rattle/vibration that I couldn't get rid of. I reinstalled the shifter probably 3 times and could never get rid of it. However, the guy I sold it to never had any problems so it was probably unique to my situation. The MGW feels slightly less notchy and overall more smooth. It also got rid of the "nibble" I was experiencing on the 1-2 shift at high rpms with the Barton.

Either shifter is a massive improvement over stock and will make driving much more enjoyable. I never missed third with either shifter and you'll never question what gear you're in.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
PJWANNABE said:
I just pulled the trigger on one of these today. 8) I called my dealer hookups and they are giving it to me for about $10 over cost. I am having them put it in for me next Friday. I decided to give up my Road Atlanta day to help pay for it, but I will be trying it out at Barber next month. ;D

That sounds like a statement at an AA meeting. Autoparts Anonymous. 8)

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
I'd also prefer a black shift knob, to keep with the stock color scheme. Fluff up the number of those wanting one if you call and request the knob in black. ;D

Sesshomurai

PJWANNABE said:
Any pictures or review of this shifter yet? If not I guess I will find out Friday. ;)

Ill have pics and street review up in a couple hours.

TMO Supporting Vendors