The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New goodyear DOT tire. An Hoosier challenger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfo
I listened to the conti intro from jeff speare the hoo hoo guy. This tire is an endurance tire he says. Seem like downplayed ultimate speed. Says an autox version coming but this one took 3 years. Seems like played up long lasting not fast. Rs4 as target that isn't A7 speed lot of us race on. I'm not impressed enough to even try it. I could be wrong.

But since conti is hoosier a sponcer for scca it would be nice to say give full power to vettes and mustangs in T2 and just use a slower conti tire to equalize instead of choke point intake restrictors and 100s of pounds of ballast. That and a longer lasting tire cut our costs too.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Focus for the Conti was for Endurance Events , which are becoming increasingly popular and giving the HPDE driver a longer lasting tire that is fairly competitive. That said I understand your thought process, but with the R&D at Hoosier I would not worry about it taking 3 years to see an autocross tire.......honestly they need to launch one new product before dropping another out there. I would bet we will see a Cone Killer next year and it would meet their new focus on a broader band of competitive rubber to cover the entire market. I have been frustrated we have seen some major increases in Hoosier pricing, but one has to wonder with the rumors of future products if quite a bit is not going into R&D ? They recently came out with a tire that primarily addresses the larger sizes and lack of many street tires to fit the Viper, so Conti/Hoosier is continuing addressing the niche markets and that new position of their business bodes well for numerous applications. As noted, like most consumers I am hoping the pricing stays a bit more stable or drops , but if things take off like many in Sales/Marketing are anticipating , that will likely help them stay at their present pricing or maybe even drop?

I may sound like I am talking out of both sides of my mouth as I have been vocal about the frustrating rise in Hoosier pricing , and that it partly due to running them on my son's car ( we share the beast for auto crossing ). I have run super quick on road courses with them , but running in a Class that only occasionally has enough folks to win tires, it has been important for me to view less expensive products to race on.

I am quite optimistic the new range of products coming will be super helpful to HPDE and Endurance Drivers first, but the autocross community is quite excited as Hoosier is honestly the "Gold Standard " there, as it is in road racing.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I would be willing to test these....but not at full price.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
335/30/18 Hoosiers are $503.00 now....ouch.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
They we’re just 456.00 retail, that’s a 47.00 increase before the discount.

yeah, it sucks, 456 list, 420 paid was the cost last time for me. But for now, I'm still a buyer. Look at the bright side, you'll very unlikely to need / buy a new front clip......

this past Sat nite at our track (its only a 30 sec clip)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
yeah, it sucks, 456 list, 420 paid was the cost last time for me. But for now, I'm still a buyer. Look at the bright side, you'll very unlikely to need / buy a new front clip......

this past Sat nite at our track (its only a 30 sec clip)
Oh that makes me hungry for real racing again....
A clip on a tube car is a lot easier and cheaper than a clip on a production car.
I'll take tubes any day.

Oh that makes me hungry for real racing again....
A clip on a tube car is a lot easier and cheaper than a clip on a production car.
I'll take tubes any day.
Replaceable front and rear clips, 15 inch wheels with tires that cost $800 per set, brakes you can maintain at an Autozone... road racing needs that, oh wait..
BTW, Mike Cope is a local guy, watched him run at Sunshine Speedway in St. Pete for years,
1623171162265.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Replaceable front and rear clips, 15 inch wheels with tires that cost $800 per set, brakes you can maintain at an Autozone... road racing needs that, oh wait..
BTW, Mike Cope is a local guy, watched him run at Sunshine Speedway in St. Pete for years,
View attachment 65742
Exactly.

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Agreed. I had fun racing all the big midwest road courses. But they do everything possible to make it unappealing. Why does everyone need to be there Sat and Sun. Split groups in half, practice in the morning, qual afternoon, race later same day and go home. And the racing isn't all that great, running alone most of the time, just burning up parts. Plus entry fees, no purse, overall costs and on and on.

My son is running the track in the clip. Roll in at 3pm. On the track practicing by 3:30, then 2nd practice, qual, heat, feature, meet fans, have a beer or 3, load up, hit the pay window and then home by 11pm to midnight. We pay $25 each to get in and they pay us $150 purse money. Plus the kid is always racing nose to tail, door to door.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Just clicked on Ye Olde TireRack link on TMO and A7/R7s are still $459 for a set of four 315/30/18s. Still high and sad to think one could buy a whole set in the $1400+ range back in 2019.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel