The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

new Hoosier A7 tire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We ran these for the first time in Laguna Seca, in 295x18. Even though both our cars in the race lasted about 8 seconds we did burn 2 full practices on 1 set at a track temp of 100 degrees and an ambient of 85. I think you'll like them, they stayed pretty consistent although, like most, the first laps will always be the fastest.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/choose-the-best-tires-with-zig/introducing-the-new-hoosier-a7

patrickshelby said:
NO HOOSIER A7 in 295/18 on Tire Rack...
Bob Woodman has them.

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/road-racing-d-o-t-treaded-radialr6a6/

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
Drew why? Is it for classing?

Yes--I'd like to make the car lighter and stay in ST2. Slicks eat up a 0.7 point hit (that's big) in power-to-weight penalty.

If I can switch to DOTs I have room to drop 135 lbs off the car (aiming for 3401 min competition weight w/ driver & fuel, currently 3501 limit and around 3530 actual). That is running a "big" 295 or 305 R6/R7 (or maybe even A7?!) or Toyo RR (if they step up to those sizes in the RR). If I can live with "just" a 275 tire, I can gain an additional 0.3 points to play with and work on bumping the car up to the 450whp range (hence my interest in you CJ intake results). For reference, Dean Martin won the ST2 championship a couple years back in a BOSS on 275 A6s.

Other avenue would be to just go balls-out on the thing, but that would drop me into ST1, and it would take a phenomenal amount of spending to be competitive there since the limit on power-to-weight is 5.5:1. ST2 is 8.0:1. Currently running 8.06 with my tire penalty included.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaBOSS said:
Yes--I'd like to make the car lighter and stay in ST2. Slicks eat up a 0.7 point hit (that's big) in power-to-weight penalty.

If I can switch to DOTs I have room to drop 135 lbs off the car (aiming for 3401 min competition weight w/ driver & fuel, currently 3501 limit and around 3530 actual). That is running a "big" 295 or 305 R6/R7 (or maybe even A7?!) or Toyo RR (if they step up to those sizes in the RR). If I can live with "just" a 275 tire, I can gain an additional 0.3 points to play with and work on bumping the car up to the 450whp range (hence my interest in you CJ intake results). For reference, Dean Martin won the ST2 championship a couple years back in a BOSS on 275 A6s.

Other avenue would be to just go balls-out on the thing, but that would drop me into ST1, and it would take a phenomenal amount of spending to be competitive there since the limit on power-to-weight is 5.5:1. ST2 is 8.0:1. Currently running 8.06 with my tire penalty included.

Got it. The contis aren't much better than Hoosier R6s at least for me, and certainly not worth 100 lbs. I'll try and get the car dyno'd before Christmas.
Steve

Tulsa, OK
ArizonaBOSS said:

I like the Pirellis but that's a HUGE penalty. It would be interesting if you could run as fast on a big DOT tire with the extra weight savings in ST2. Or even on a 275 with more power. Either way, probably worth the switch to a DOT tire.

we're still running a6 on everything else, the 7s just showed up at the runoffs, it seems to me, everything Hoosier makes is in "plus" sizes, the 315s are huge.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
we're still running a6 on everything else, the 7s just showed up at the runoffs, it seems to me, everything Hoosier makes is in "plus" sizes, the 315s are huge.

Supposedly the A7s are supposed to endure more heat cycles than the A6, so it could be a good deal for me. I really liked the Toyo RRs when I drove my buddy's C5 with them.

Basically I need to find a tire that I can use for two race weekends, or at least get 8 cycles out of before they drop off (then I can use practice set vs. race set).

ArizonaBOSS said:
Supposedly the A7s are supposed to endure more heat cycles than the A6, so it could be a good deal for me. I really liked the Toyo RRs when I drove my buddy's C5 with them.

Basically I need to find a tire that I can use for two race weekends, or at least get 8 cycles out of before they drop off (then I can use practice set vs. race set).

Let me ask you this, which Hoosiers are you running now and I can give an educated guess.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
Let me ask you this, which Hoosiers are you running now and I can give an educated guess.

Currently running P-Zero slick take offs from PWC in 305/645/18.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
I would say..after having some experience (but not a lot) with both, that they will act similarly check your PM

Thanks!

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
blacksheep-1 said:

Blacksheep why do you run A6's vs. R6's? And when you ran the R7's what were your starting pressures? Got a set of R7s for Christmas!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Tucson302 said:
Blacksheep why do you run A6's vs. R6's? And when you ran the R7's what were your starting pressures? Got a set of R7s for Christmas!

Cool...what sizes?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cool! Those are pretty short, gonna lose a couple MPH in each gear--don't be surprised if you have to shift a little bit more. Not a huge deal on any of the tracks out here, though.

TMO Supporting Vendors