The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Owner - Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Did you say 500 or 5000 miles ? If it's 5000 then there may be no issues. The Boss uses oil, at least for most of us. I burn 1/4 to 1/2 a qt. per track day alone.

Just passed 2000 miles on mine. Just had the 1st oil change done yesterday and Track Key activated. I have not used any oil as of yet but I have not tracked it either. I have been playing with the 0-60 meter on my way to work. Started with a 6.2 driving like a pu$$y and have gotten it down to 4.9. Tried this morning with track key but had way too much wheel spin in 2nd so I let out. First 500 miles I keep the rpms to less than 5k, then up to 6k until a 1000.

Fuel mileage imo has been pretty damn good. Averaging 60 miles a day with a combo 80/20 hwy/street driving and I average around 20-21 with a/c here in Phoenix.

PeteInCT said:
Did you say 500 or 5000 miles ? If it's 5000 then there may be no issues. The Boss uses oil, at least for most of us. I burn 1/4 to 1/2 a qt. per track day alone.

About 6400 on the OD needed 2 quarts, at 6800 she needed 2 quarts, and after Limerock 7100 on the OD now, she needed 2 quarts. No oil spots in the garage. No funny smells, sounds or smoke ???

She runs as smooth as the day I drove her off the lot.

The oil life monitor says 5%, only because I think the mechanic didn't reset it in September. She was garaged from November to March with a once a month drive in our mildest ny winter ever. Either way I'm putting her away in July because I'll be away for about a month to get married. When I come back I'll take her to get checked and an oil change.

MA
A month?! That's the longest wedding in history!

Let us know what goes down with the car. I know these new 5.0's will use some oil but that is borderline crazy. I smelled some oil smell at Lime Rock, only on the track, not in the pits, I was concerned it was from my car but the oil level never dropped at all on the dipstick.

I met a guy with a Kona Boss at the Mustangs Unlimited show this past April. He had the JLT oil separator kit. He said he had to empty it frequently. I saw about an 1" worth of oil in it when he showed me and it was clean that morning before he drove to Mustangs Unlimited (he did confess to driving it hard). All that oil would otherwise end up in the intake, reducing octane, and this causing the knock sensors to be on high alert and kill power.

Funny, my 2011 which was also Kona burned oil (eventually popped the
Motor at 3k miles too.). Must be a Kona thing.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I have 2 JLT oil seperators. The drivers side NEVER gets any oil in it and the passenger side gets about 1/4" per track day. Are all you guys using top shelf 5-50 synth oil? I use Castrol Syntec Edge.

MA
Pete,

The driver side breather is a fresh air breather only while the passenger side is the PCV which is why it retains oil in the separator. It won't hurt anything to run a seperator on the driver side but it's not necessary.

I wish I had understood the principles of crankcase ventilation when I made my own separator on my 2011 GT. I ended up pressurizing the crankcase with 10 psi of boost and pulling oil out of the crankcase under heavy vacuum. All this lead to it giving up the ghost at New England Dragway. But it did coast to an 11.01 blowing up at the 1,000' mark. Lol

Jay's car is using way too much oil IMHO.

I think these motors turn very high revs with high cylinder pressure and lots of windage going on in there. When we track them, the motors are in a high vacuum state as we engine brake into corners. I can see how the motor can consume oil in these conditions, but not more than 1/4-1/2 qt per track day would seem the normal range.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I agree on all points. I have a drivers side cannister for aesthetics only, even JLT says it's "not necessary" ;D

This brings up an interesting question of oil usage. Why so much? I hear it's due to the high revving engines but if you are not tracking then there is evidence something seems amiss. I drive back and forth to work which ends up being 30 + miles round trip which encounters a little spirited driving from time to time and I see about a tbl spoon of oil. I plan to call FR and ask what their opinion of this might be and if it's normal. Those that say they that don't see any usage bothers me the most.

badasbullitt said:
This brings up an interesting question of oil usage. Why so much? I hear it's due to the high revving engines but if you are not tracking then there is evidence something seems amiss. I drive back and forth to work which ends up being 30 + miles round trip which encounters a little spirited driving from time to time and I see about a tbl spoon of oil. I plan to call FR and ask what their opinion of this might be and if it's normal. Those that say they that don't see any usage bothers me the most.

If you dont mind me asking, why does that bother you the most? Just learning about these hotrods and absorbing any information I can get.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have over 4600 miles on my car now it hasnt used any oil yet. I havent tracked it other than the drag strip which is about what I give the car , beat on wise, at least twice or more every time I drive it lol.

SVT1 said:
A month?! That's the longest wedding in history!

Lol The wedding is one day in Ireland. We are arriving a few days to get things ready. All of the guests will be there for 3 days and then about 60% are following us to Dublin for 4 more days of partying! The honeymoon is 2 weeks in Italy!!

That's why I might not get back on track this year :(
Wedding and traveling is expensive.

I've frequently checked the oil since day one and reading about other peoples cars drinking oil. She has been fine up till around April. I checked her after every other session at Limerock. Fine all day. About a week later low. I could have gotten away with 1 quart but would have still been on the low side of the safe mark on the dipstick. And she's been thirsty, so I added 2. Then 3 days ago, oil light say 5%. I know the track is high reving but I don't think it should have come on. She was sitting for 4 months. I think they just forgot to reset the oil life monitor. Since when I did my first oil change in September it didn't say it needed 1. It was only because I did a two day track event in NJMP. It's very weird how some burn oil and some don't and start randomly ???

1992chpb4c said:
badasbullitt said:

If you dont mind me asking, why does that bother you the most? Just learning about these hotrods and absorbing any information I can get.

It just a question of why some do and some don't. I will let you know what FR says regarding this. Stay tuned!

TMO Supporting Vendors