The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Nitrogen for track use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was wondering if anyone uses nitrogen at the track. I have it in my street tires but was wondering if any advantage at the track.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
There may have been some mention of it in here:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6120.0

The advantage is less increase from cold to hot temps. The disadvantage is throwing out anything you 'know' about your particular pressure vs. temp gains using air.

If I made the switch, I'd basically have to throw out all my charted data...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
And to top it off, when you need to add air at the track you usually do not have Nitrogen handy. then everything gets really messy as your ratio of air/nitrogen changes again!!

Not going to use it any more and looks like the shops down here have dubious nitrogen.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
Your only hope is to start out with it in the tires and hope you don't need to add it back later if there isn't a provider. On Edge Performance offers N2 usually at their days but not always. They also offer to purge the tires a couple of times but not as good as a vacuum.

I gave up for some of the same reasons above and just do it old school.

Check out that link that was posted for discussion on tires. Of course I'm going to say nitrogen is the only way to go because we have the resources to do it, Grant basically nailed it when he said he would have to through out his charts and start all over with N2. Those charts are important for any serious track day driver. If you do use nitrogen, you can fill a small bottle with nitrogen tot op off the tires at the track, if you sue that chart you will only be a pound or 2 off anyway. The other alternative is to get several water filters for you compressor and use the air, call it a compromise, but it's not a bad one.
Develop those charts

TMO Supporting Vendors