The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Northeast Boss/Ford event

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA
Well I just registered for the May 31st track day at Lime Rock. I'm pretty excited. This will be my first time out and looks to be a blast. Looking forward to meeting some members as well.

How does it work....does SCDA send you an email or other correspondance once your registration has been accepted?

Yes on may 31st being the consensus and yes they should send you an email. What run group did you sign up for?

MA
Jza1736 said:
Yes on may 31st being the consensus and yes they should send you an email. What run group did you sign up for?

Run group? Whuh Oh! I didn't see a place for a run group, although I did disclose on the application that I have never run on a track though. I'll be content running the Novice class, and the schedule looks like there will be more than enough track time.

How are the stock brakes after a 25 minute session on a track like Lime Rock? How fast of a speed is it possible to reach at this track with our cars, as in a peak speed in the straights?

I'm glad that I found out about this event from you guys here on the boards. I would have never known about it.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
If you've never been to an event before Ian Prout will make sure you are in Group 1. You will be assigned an instructor who will sign you off as he deems fit for solo. Most drivers in most organizations do not get to solo in their first event so don't let that get you down if that's the case. Limerock is hard on brakes, especially for novices, since it's mostly turns. I have found my cars have run hotter there than tracks with very long/fast straights. The Boss is easily capable of over 135 MPH even with LRP's short single straight. A very experienced driver will hit 145+ on this track. That said, don't expect to hit 125 if this is your first time out, and top speed is NOT the important thing here - it's smoothness and awareness of the track and fellow drivers. Speed comes with time. If you try to be fast, you won't be. If you try to be smooth you will be fast. Minimally, you want to get rid of your stock brake fluid and replace it with a high performance fluid like Motul 5.1, Motul RBF600, ATE Super Blue, etc. there are more expensive options like Castrol SRF but you won't need that level right away. Your PFC pads will be Ok for a while, if you intend on doing more track days you'll want to seriouosly consider more race capable pads.

Have fun - be aware of those around you - and think SMOOTH....

MA
PeteInCT said:
If you've never been to an event before Ian Prout will make sure you are in Group 1. You will be assigned an instructor who will sign you off as he deems fit for solo. Most drivers in most organizations do not get to solo in their first event so don't let that get you down if that's the case. Limerock is hard on brakes, especially for novices, since it's mostly turns. I have found my cars have run hotter there than tracks with very long/fast straights. The Boss is easily capable of over 135 MPH even with LRP's short single straight. A very experienced driver will hit 145+ on this track. That said, don't expect to hit 125 if this is your first time out, and top speed is NOT the important thing here - it's smoothness and awareness of the track and fellow drivers. Speed comes with time. If you try to be fast, you won't be. If you try to be smooth you will be fast. Minimally, you want to get rid of your stock brake fluid and replace it with a high performance fluid like Motul 5.1, Motul RBF600, ATE Super Blue, etc. there are more expensive options like Castrol SRF but you won't need that level right away. Your PFC pads will be Ok for a while, if you intend on doing more track days you'll want to seriouosly consider more race capable pads.

Have fun - be aware of those around you - and think SMOOTH....

Very good reply. Thanks man.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that its all about speed, I was just curious to get a sense on how hard on the brakes the track will be. I just watched a youtube video of a GT3 hitting 130-131 on the straight. Our cars are faster than a GT3? (with the right driver of course).

A few years ago I did the winter indoor Kart racing league. Sure the karts only had 6 HP but it really taught you how important it was to maintain a smooth line as the karts didn't have enough HP to get them going if you spun out or oversteered/understeered and rubbed off too much speed.

I don't care if I don't get signed off at the first event. The only expectation I have is to have a really good time, and this looks like a guaranteed awesome time. I can't wait. I've waited to do this my whole life! I never had my Z06 long enough to get it on the track, but I can tell this car is way more forgiving and will be easier for me to learn on.

Just come with an open mind to learn and to have fun. Don't look to set any track records. The car is a blast to drive.

Here's 2 YouTube videos you can check out to start learning the turns. I find it helpful on a new track to watch the videos to get accustomed to the track before you get there.

1: boss 302 at Limerock park 11/14/11
2: bill auberien - a lap of lime rock park - April 27, 2010

MA
Jza1736 said:
Just come with an open mind to learn and to have fun. Don't look to set any track records. The car is a blast to drive.

Here's 2 YouTube videos you can check out to start learning the turns. I find it helpful on a new track to watch the videos to get accustomed to the track before you get there.

1: boss 302 at Limerock park 11/14/11
2: bill auberien - a lap of lime rock park - April 27, 2010

Awesome, thank you!

I just watched the second video. Will watch the other as soon as I can. You're right, it helps to know the track and helps curb my enthusiasm a little as May is a little ways off from now.

Yeah add another Boss to the pack! I think we have about 6/7 from TMS also coming. It will be nice to see so many Bosses together

Here's a link for track day insurance.
http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/

Remember your regular insurance will not cover if you have an accident on the track. And you could be doing everything right and safe and someone could lose their brakes and plow into you. Happened to someone last year on TMS. Better to be prepared

May 31st for me. SCDA assigns you a race group based on your on track experience and track familiarity. At least that's how it seems to me.

MA
Got an email from SCDA. I will be running Novice Run Group. Do our cars pass the 86 decibel sound limit with the discs removed from the sidepipes? I'd assume they measure the sound at the tail pipe which actually the sound coming from the mufflers is pretty quiet with the discs removed anyway.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
It depends on how strict Bob Mayo will be. With the plates out I doubt we don't pass the limit, but last year I did not get black flagged. They may be more strict with the readings at the start of the season. I will have them out but will be ready to slap them back in if I get called on it. If there are many modded porsches on track they tend to be the loudest and will get flagged first. Then it depends how deep into a run group they want to go.....

MA
Good to hear that it will pass with the discs out. The sound of the 302 at full tilt on a road course is something I'm REALLY looking forward to!

Does anyone have a head count yet? Maybe we should post a poll??

PeteInCT

Connecticut
The sound at Limerock is somewhat unique since the track is small and surrounded by hills on almost all sides.

TMO Supporting Vendors