The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil cooler choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I put my Boss on jack stand and removed the front fascia to get some measurement for the oil cooler line and oil cooler placement.
I was set on getting a setrab 948 and mounting it sideway. (Cooler port on the side instead of down).

Well now I'm not so sure anymore and I think the setrab 660 maybe a better choice

Here's why :

Setrab 948 BTU range : 69000-96000 and core surface : 14.09*14.7=207.123in2
Setrab 660 BTU range : 63000-90000 and core surface : 11.14*18.31=203.9734in2

Now the upper grille opening is wide enough for both cooler but it's only 7" tall

Setrab 948 7*14.7=102.9in2 is on the direct air pass the rest is behind the bumper.
Setrab 660 7*18.31=128.17in2 is on the direct air pass the rest is behind the bumper.

As you can see the 660 is at least 20% more surface area in the direct air pass
And the 948 is only 5% bigger.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

Should I get the 948 which is race proven or get the 660 which seems to provide a better cooling?
The 660 is only 1$ cheaper than the 948 on Improvedracing so price is not a problem.

Thanks

Are you going to keep the stock oil cooler? If so you may not need a cooler that large.

As Rick asked, are you running the stock cooler? If so you do not need a very large cooler at all. A 920 would be fine for sure. I run without the factory cooler and run a 934 Setrab. The max oil temps I ran at Watkins Glen in 85 to 90 degree ambient temps was 275. And those are 40 minute sessions. I also believe my car might run cooler than others, but not sure? I am sure the 948 would cool the oil easily as would the 660. You don't want to cool the oil too much.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
+1

Car to car variation, especially on the 2012's is large. I'm running a 948 vertically with no grille or A/C condenser and see 280 Oil Temps in ambient temps of 85 + after 30 mins on high rpm tracks. I have removed the stock cooler, which fixed my prior issue with coolant and CHT temps.

BTW the latest 302S config is a 948 sideways. I just couldn't find a good way to mount and run lines -- the 302S has a Trans cooler stacked next to it.......

I'll be removing the stock water-oil cooler. Already broken it once at the track. Lucky for me it was the last session of the day. Don't want it to happen again.
Also I won't be running a thermostat for now and will be monitoring oil temp on street driving. If it's too low I'll add one.

My understanding is that you want the oil temp to reach at least 210-215 to burn off moisture and should not go above 280-290.
I think even with the biggest cooler you can buy, you'll never see the oil temp under 220 while tracking.

Here's in the Midwest we also have a very high humidity 80%+ with the high temp of summer so I don't know if impact cooling.

Thanks for answer

thoughts of AM oil cooler

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-oil-cooler-1114gt-black.html

--Jerry

JPC said:
thoughts of AM oil cooler

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-oil-cooler-1114gt-black.html

--Jerry

The price seems fair for a kit but you could save a little if you pieced one together yourself. I can't say for sure, but I believe some members bought the sandwich plate adapter in this kit for use in their custom set ups and were not happy with it. If I recall, it had to do something with the thermostat opening and the potential for restricted oil flow. Mike (Mach006) may be able to elaborate if he sees this.

Between these 2, I think the 640. You also want to pay attention to the pressure restrictions of the cooler - as the higher this number the greater the work load on the oil pump. See this chart: http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/Application_and_performance_suggestions_112610.pdf

Also, in our testing it was imperative for maximum cooling that the OEM oil-to-water system stayed in place. In terms of mounting, make sure you get as much air flow as possible. Don't run less tha AN 10 sized lines.

Thanks for the suggestion.
That's why I'm leaning toward the 660 because it's got a bigger area in the direct air pass. I have the Saleen grill so it's pretty open.

I'll run AN12 line per BlackBoss recommendation.

Swiss Boss said:
I'll run AN12 line per BlackBoss recommendation.

It's not really the size of the line that restricts, it the size of the fitting. What you have to watch out for is ID of the ports in the plate and the ID of the fittings going into the plates and/or thermostats. You can have a 12AN fitting restricted down to 3/8" when it goes into an sandwich plate adapter, which is not good.

not to thread jack, but could anybody tell me the size of our stock cooler lines? gotta route an accusump thru it. thx in advance!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
LTNYC said:
not to thread jack, but could anybody tell me the size of our stock cooler lines? gotta route an accusump thru it. thx in advance!

Larry

The stock cooler has water in and out lines. Oil passes through the cooler from the block pad to the oil filter. Basically, the cooler is a oversized sandwich plate.

As such, there are no oil lines associated with the cooler to tap into. An additional plate is an option.

TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS said:
Larry

The stock cooler has water in and out lines. Oil passes through the cooler from the block pad to the oil filter. Basically, the cooler is a oversized sandwich plate.

As such, there are no oil lines associated with the cooler to tap into. An additional plate is an option.

TMSBOSS

Tracy: thanks so much. This is very helpful!:)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
It's my opinion that you're better off in general with the 9 series over the 6 series for comparable cooling capacities.

During off-throttle conditions and lower RPM/lower flow conditions, I'd rather have the longer run over the slightly lower pressure pressure drop. Beyond having enough rows for the cross sectional area to keep from (significantly) restricting flow at WOT or 8+ GPM flow...I'd rather add length over more rows. I haven't modeled the cooler to make a guess where that is, but I think more than 15 or 20 rows or so will meet that criteria.

It's my opinion that the model for the area directly behind the grille opening doesn't account for all the flow that still expands to the areas behind the bumper. There will still be a lot of flow for anything that isn't less than a couple of inches from the bumper. I wouldn't exclude that from any estimate, even if you reduce it by some factor.

Tracy, do you know, or perhaps somebody else could chime in: since I'm not gonna go thru the oil cooler, I'll need to put a sandwich adapter between the oil filter and engine, dropping the filter 1.25"... is this possible in our car, room to spare under the filter? thx in advance... sorry to get slightly off topic, but didn't want to start a whole new thread, since the oil guys are all on this one already! ;D :-[

TMSBOSS said:
Larry

TMSBOSS

Yes, there is plenty of room for the filter. There are a few good oil cooler threads showing pics, should show up in the search function, even thought the threads are a year or two old.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I wouldn't say there's a lot of room if you mean to add the sandwich plate on top of the stock oil cooler. When I added the Moroso plate to the Boss cooler, I no longer had room for the Ford Racing FL-820 oil filter and had to go back to the stock FL-500S. And that fit was pretty tight.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I have been thinking about adding the FRPP engine oil cooler for sometime. So I have been rolling these assorted Oil Cooler threads with interest. Thank you to all who have shared their thoughts, installs, and technical information.

My questions, (2), are in regard to the sandwich plate installation, and path of oil flow.

1. Is it possible to install the Air/Oil cooler sandwich plate before the stock Oil cooler?

The oil flow path from the oil pump would look like this: Pump > Air/Oil Cooler > Coolant/Oil Cooler > Oil Filter > Main Oil Galley. Note: by cooling the supply oil through the Ail/Oil cooler, this would reduce cooling system duty.

2. Oil Pressure: Has anyone recorded a noticeable effect on engine oil pressure. (I would like to install an oil pressure gauge at the main oil galley if possible.)

Interested in your thoughts and opinions on this, thanks again.

Regards,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors