The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: CEL - "random misfire" (recurring)

After doing the Decebler 12th PCM GT 5.0 re-learn it did it again, and again. I too felt it was now a safety issue as it would power down when entering the Highway from work.

Over the course of a few weeks we determined the Crank Sensor may have been the culprit. The hard part was getting both Ford and Ford Racing together on what it really needed as I had the track key put on and then started getting the misfire codes.

In the end the service advisor and my Tech figured it was best to get the Misfire thing fixed and then I will add the track key back on.

It may not be a TSB but I think it is in the works. In order to replace the crank sensor they need to pull the tranny. then they order the new sensor kit and dont forget to get new Flywheel bolts as this added a day to my repair. Sensor, Ring, Retainer, Pilot bearings, several bolts, seal assembly… Misfire relearn.

At this posting I have driven about 400 miles over 25 starts over about 3 weeks with no issues. I was told to take a longer road trip (minimum 40 miles no stopping) to make sure all is good to go, giving it time to go through all the programing relearning codes??? I will then add back on my track key. Hope this help's!

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !

Ok, new guy here to the forum.Not new to fast cars. 2012 boss picked up last nov , love the car! Have not put to many miles on it since the weather here in Seattle is cold and damp alot of the time with the exception of summer. But I try and get the car out once a week if I can and stretch her legs so to speak. Never noticed any cel coming on at all.
Had the track key installed about a month ago , have not used the track key at all since my plan is its for the track.
Since track key install cel is coming on at normal driving levels with the silver key ,say 4th gear at 75 mph.
Can feel a temporary slight loss of power but not limp home mode. The cel flashes and or stays on for a few seconds and then when I slow down and get off the highway it is gone.
I will be like others taking it into the dealer. I am printing out this thread and handing it to them so they can see what is going on.
I am posting here hoping Ford reads this. Coming from M-3s and C-6s as a driver this is unacceptable. I did not buy a Boss to be in limp mode!
Hoping for the best will update as we go forward

Domestic Product said:
Ok, new guy here to the forum.Not new to fast cars. 2012 boss picked up last nov , love the car! Have not put to many miles on it since the weather here in Seattle is cold and damp alot of the time with the exception of summer. But I try and get the car out once a week if I can and stretch her legs so to speak. Never noticed any cel coming on at all.
Had the track key installed about a month ago , have not used the track key at all since my plan is its for the track.
Since track key install cel is coming on at normal driving levels with the silver key ,say 4th gear at 75 mph.
Can feel a temporary slight loss of power but not limp home mode. The cel flashes and or stays on for a few seconds and then when I slow down and get off the highway it is gone.
I will be like others taking it into the dealer. I am printing out this thread and handing it to them so they can see what is going on.
I am posting here hoping Ford reads this. Coming from M-3s and C-6s as a driver this is unacceptable. I did not buy a Boss to be in limp mode!

Welcome Domestic Product (if that is your real name). ;)

The limp mode (blinking CEL) I experience at the track tends to last about 30 seconds and then goes away on it's own, usually leaving a steady CEL that does not affect performance in any way. Let us know what your dealer says. I look forward to your participation here.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Domestic Product said:
Welcome to BMO. As you probably read this issue has been happening since the cars hit the streets so it's been over two years. The TSB for the 13 cars didn't fix the issue and we haven't seen the update for the 12 cars yet. Have you pulled any of the codes to see what they are? Please report back if your dealer figures out what's wrong with your car.

BTW driving with TK on the street is more fun than using it on the track. Give it a try.

Domestic Product

Ok, new guy again. Thanks for the replies. Took the advice and fired her up with the track key this afternoon to go to the gym. Fun! way more responsive and aggressive, I like. On the way home on a empty curvy country road brought her up to 75ish in 4th, no cel where there was always before in this spot. Keep at it till 85ish no cel ?.... So good but its still going to the dealer as the codes where thrown and there is no lopey idle. Should I not worry about the cel and just do my thing as I try and get it fixed? How many of you that are tracking your cars are running with cel on or flashing? I do 10 to 15 track days a year and run in the advanced group so the car will be seeing the speed limiter and driven as advertised. My first track day is in april at pacific raceways its a BMW day so I do not want to go into limp mode as I pass all those pesky M-3s. thanks

Domestic Product said:
Should I not worry about the cel and just do my thing as I try and get it fixed? How many of you that are tracking your cars are running with cel on or flashing? I do 10 to 15 track days a year and run in the advanced group so the car will be seeing the speed limiter and driven as advertised. My first track day is in april at pacific raceways its a BMW day so I do not want to go into limp mode as I pass all those pesky M-3s. thanks

Can't say if you should worry or not, but I just checked and all of my fastest laps over three different days occurrred with a CEL on. ;)

My take is that I know enough about cars to judge for myself if something is actually wrong with the car. As long as it has oil pressure, the temps are good, and I don't see/hear/feel/smell anything unusual, then I ignore the CEL. If it goes into limp mode, I just pull into hot pit lane until the flare-up passes (usually 30 seconds) and then go right back out. It's like our cars have herpes. Thanks, Ford.

I mostly do open track days and I'm not paying for sessions, so I don't let it ruin my day. I'm very unhappy about it, but I'm a racer and I guess I'm used to driving when things aren't perfect. In racing, that is almost 100% of the time. I certainly want this problem fixed before I start using this car in any kind of competetion (which is the eventual goal).

had also been experiencing the P300 random misfire issues at the track with my 013' Boss so I took it to my dealer yesterday for a crank sensor re-learn. Before my dealer would even touch the car they waited for direction from Ford Racing. The fix came down to the sensor re- learn but was also told Ford Racing had just released an updated Track Key program which they also installed. Haven't driven the car enough since the new program to determine if any differences but it did run VERY strong on the way home. I did notice a different smell coming from the car after shutting down in my garage. Smelled like gun powder which could possibly be un-burned fuel?? Kind of like a double barreled shot gun blast but then again isn't that what the Boss is!!!!

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!

Domestic Product:

If you are in Seattle we should try to get together. Won't be going to the BMW day @ Pacific but plan on being at The Ridge with the PCA in early May. Sent you a PM on issue's you've had. I have had ton's but Ford has been responsive.

Hope to meet you at a local HPDE. I may be taking my P-car to The Ridge in May, haven't made a decision yet.

Cheers!

Domestic Product

Bommerstoys, yes in the Seattle area, will be at the Ridge in may with the PCA. What a great new track. I will see you there. The car is going in to the dealer Monday am. I will up date what they find and do.
All these issues with the Boss, are these shared with the GT or the GT500? I really love the car but I'm starting to feel like I did when I had a 2005 6.0 powerstroke diesel and thats not good.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!

DP: sent you a PM with my email address. Once you get it on track & sort the car out I think you'll really be surprised just how good it is for a $40,000.00 car. Some of the things like clutch & tranny issues just shouldn't happen with a car like this regardless of the price.

Make sure you have them check and change the tranny fluid when you take it in. It's the double clutch fluid that Ford is recommending for these trans. Called Redline & they said they don't recommend any of their fluids now with the change Ford has made. Several people are using Redline MTL but I'll stick with Fords recommendation given the tranny problems I've had.

If I don't take the Boss to The Ridge, look for a Forest Green Metallic 996tt at The Ridge and I'll look for your Boss.

Cheers!

Comment on an earlier post regarding the smell of unburned fuel after having TK installed. I regulary receive the misfire codes with and wihtout Tk. In addition, several times when returning from the track (highway driving w/ cruise control on and regular key) I have gotten CEL's for P420 & P430 codes. These codes are for catalytic converter problems. At least with me, I think there is a decent amount of raw fuel entering the exhaust with TK (wheter it's caused by the misfires or not, i do not know). As usual though, when I take it to they run a drive cycle which produces no CEL's and send me on my way.

Anyone esle getting catalytic converter codes?

KBBOSS1086 said:
Comment on an earlier post regarding the smell of unburned fuel after having TK installed. I regulary receive the misfire codes with and wihtout Tk. In addition, several times when returning from the track (highway driving w/ cruise control on and regular key) I have gotten CEL's for P420 & P430 codes. These codes are for catalytic converter problems. At least with me, I think there is a decent amount of raw fuel entering the exhaust with TK (wheter it's caused by the misfires or not, i do not know). As usual though, when I take it to they run a drive cycle which produces no CEL's and send me on my way.

Anyone esle getting catalytic converter codes?
I've never had one. Has your dealer seen your catalytic converter code and if so what did they say? What number code is it? I would imagine using TK or any other lopey idle tune will shorten the life or your catalytic converter. It will probably go bad weeks after your warranty runs out. ;)

The codes are P420 & P430 (driver side and passanger side catalytic failure). Yes - several dealers have seen them in conjunction with the misfire codes. As usual, they clear the codes, run a drive cycle and when they do not come back I'm told that everything is fine and sent on my way.

Domestic Product

OK, update on my cel issues' The Boss has been at the dealer all week. My tech is great so far. They tried a misfire correction and re test , still codes thrown. Replaced the crank sensor per Ford racing and I let the tech take the car home and told him to drive it hard. No codes! So we will see if this does it with the cel. The best part is I had complained of bad shifting and getting locked out of gear , grinding and all. So when he drove it he had trouble with shifting and grinding. Ford is going to fix or replace the transmission! will know what path they decide on Monday. I have asked for them to keep a record of the codes that were thrown but I do not have that info yet. Will post when and if I get them. I will post the transmission saga over at the transmission thread.

zzyzx

Steve

Just caught up on this thread... it's busy in here!

Just to reiterate how my CEL issues were fixed: as soon as the dealer disconnected and reconnected the Crank Sensor, the CEL issues were gone. They replaced the sensor to be on the safe side, but bottom line just the disconnect/reconnect did the trick.

Sounds like Domestic Product's fix was similar/the same.

Contrary to what was stated earlier, I'm doubtful you need to drop the tranny to disconnect and or replace the Crank Sensor. The connector is on the upper passenger side of the tranny. I believe you could reach up in there and unplug it. Not sure exactly. I'll ask my tech and see if they pulled the tranny for the replacement, but they didn't mention it at the time.

Also for those trying to reproduce the issue: I outlined in an earlier post exactly how to do that. The key when taking it into the dealer is that they need to be able to reproduce the problem. Anything you can do to aid them is immensely helpful.

zzyzx said:
Just caught up on this thread... it's busy in here!

Just to reiterate how my CEL issues were fixed: as soon as the dealer disconnected and reconnected the Crank Sensor, the CEL issues were gone. They replaced the sensor to be on the safe side, but bottom line just the disconnect/reconnect did the trick.

Sounds like Domestic Product's fix was similar/the same.

Contrary to what was stated earlier, I'm doubtful you need to drop the tranny to disconnect and or replace the Crank Sensor. The connector is on the upper passenger side of the tranny. I believe you could reach up in there and unplug it. Not sure exactly. I'll ask my tech and see if they pulled the tranny for the replacement, but they didn't mention it at the time.

Also for those trying to reproduce the issue: I outlined in an earlier post exactly how to do that. The key when taking it into the dealer is that they need to be able to reproduce the problem. Anything you can do to aid them is immensely helpful.

Has anyone had there car reprogramed for the random misfire to Ford latest TSB13-1-11. Did work? This will be the third time back to the dealer.

Domestic Product

jim woodruff said:
Has anyone had there car reprogramed for the random misfire to Ford latest TSB13-1-11. Did work? This will be the third time back to the dealer.

Yes my dealer did the reprograming and it did not clear the codes. I let the tech take the car home for the night (good guy and covered by Fords insurance). So when he drove it after the repair attempt the cel was still flashing. He made the comment that he was calling Ford racing for direction. They then replaced the crank sensor per Ford racing and so far so good.

zzyzx

Steve

jim woodruff said:

I don't believe mine was. Did they check/re-connected any physical sensor connectors (cam, crank) or do they just continue to do the re-learn procedure? What exactly have they done those three separate visits?

zzyzx said:
I don't believe mine was. Did they check/re-connected any physical sensor connectors (cam, crank) or do they just continue to do the re-learn procedure? What exactly have they done those three separate visits?

I recieved a call from the Tech about my car. They are going to reprogram the non track key side of the ecu after they install a new crank shaft sensor. they said if that does not solve the problem they will drop the trans. and put in a new tone ring assy. I fell much better that there is a plan in place that I can live with. The dealer tech is very helpfull and not full of BS. I will be taking the car back to the track the first week end in May and give you an update.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel