The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Panhard bar install concerns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Even though I am using stock springs, the DS was definitely not centered, and was proud on the driver side by about 1/4-3/8". Not much, but noticeable with stock wheels, more with the new ones. So while changing the diff lube I installed an adjustable aluminum PHB. The stock one had to be banged out a bit, and pried out, since for some reason the mounts were super tight. The new bar had to be tapped in, also.

Question 1:
Is it possible to over-tighten the bolts? I definitely noticed that the sheet metal mounts crushed inwards quite a bit as the bushings deformed. The instructions said 130ft-lbs, I did 100 and even that seemed like too much. The metal bushing piece inside was about 1mm shorter on each side than the bushings. Should that have been longer? I bought the PHB a while back from AM and maybe it is not really for a '12?

Question 2:
Why would Ford put tons of BBs in the PHB??? Vibration dampening? When I picked it up it was like one of those hollow logs with pellets that make rain sounds, lol. Felt like I saved close to 6lbs with the new one.

isrboss

Go with the 130lb.ft. with the rear suspension loaded. My BMR is a tank compared to the factory unit. The BS inside is for NVH, from what I read. My 2013 Boss was off center from the factory as well.

Odd that they would come off-center. I wonder if the PHB is the same as the GT and that is why it is off a bit. Good to know that I am not the only one, since I was wondering if one of the mounts might have gotten tweaked somehow. Thanks!

WinterSucks said:
Odd that they would come off-center. I wonder if the PHB is the same as the GT and that is why it is off a bit. Good to know that I am not the only one, since I was wondering if one of the mounts might have gotten tweaked somehow. Thanks!

My 13 is off center a bit proud to the drivers side. I too thought the bars are the same as the GT thus causing the shift on the Boss' lower than GT suspension. I tried researching the numbers found on the PHB bar code sticker but came up empty. I'll probably go with a BMR or Steeda PHB.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Mine appeared to favor the driver's side as well...in stock form. Didn't measure it since I Knew I was installing an adjustable one. Good news is.....it is a very easy to install and dial in the axle. I used the method I found on this site.....taped a string that had a socket tied on the lower end.....to the fender edge along the midline of the axle. I then loaded the suspension with my jack ( the car was up on stands at the time ) and dialed it in. Torque your jam nuts and you're done...I used Loctite on them...but not that's required?

Wayne

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel