The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Part throttle limp mode and wrench light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson302 said:
Gary quick question so I don't break anything trying to get that plug off the control module, where do you press on it to release?

EDIT: Figured it out, lets hope this works!
Good deal I was going to have you look at the new part and you can see the catch.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
cloud9 said:
Good deal I was going to have you look at the new part and you can see the catch.

Yeah when it comes to cars I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm learning thanks to AZBoss and Capt Distraction! Aparently you can teach an old dog new tricks ;)

I think I might be dealing with the same issues as you are, for me I have a part throttle issue I think. Just cruising down the road heading home I come up to a hill at about 3k and from 3-4k it feels very gutless for that RPM range and I keep thinking the RPMs are hanging like your clutch is slipping and then the power kind of comes back. I know that I have had a P0305, P0345 code both saying camshaft position sensor Circuit A (Bank 2) so I will replace those.

Sean said:
I think I might be dealing with the same issues as you are, for me I have a part throttle issue I think. Just cruising down the road heading home I come up to a hill at about 3k and from 3-4k it feels very gutless for that RPM range and I keep thinking the RPMs are hanging like your clutch is slipping and then the power kind of comes back. I know that I have had a P0305, P0345 code both saying camshaft position sensor Circuit A (Bank 2) so I will replace those.
Your issue sounds like the engine wiring harness issue many of us have had to correct. There is atthread on it. AZBoss figured out a cheaper solution if you can wire in new connectors. The slight bog at 3-4k is pretty normal unless going WOT.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
Your issue sounds like the engine wiring harness issue many of us have had to correct. There is atthread on it. AZBoss figured out a cheaper solution if you can wire in new connectors. The slight bog at 3-4k is pretty normal unless going WOT.

If it was the harness you should be seeing a lot of misfire codes....

-Pete

cloud9 said:

Ah damn, that's what I was afraid of hearing. I will look around and see if he has a thread on it somewhere.

PeteInCT said:
If it was the harness you should be seeing a lot of misfire codes....

-Pete

I have only had 3 Check Engine Lights come on the only 2 times I was able to check the codes, it was P0305 & P0345 but the P0345 has since gone away on it's own :/

Unfortunately it's back. Getting on the interstate this morning I threw the wrench light and got a P0611 (supposedly not a valid Mustang code ::)) This time it was under WOT like Derek has been experiencing, not steady part throttle.

20140706_103349_zps1c9050c5.jpg

Fuel injector control module performance. Says it's powertrain so should be covered by warranty if they can ever find the cause...... This is getting frustrating. The fact is it started last summer when I was still under 3/36 bumper to bumper anyway. The problem is we can't seem to find the cause.
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/DTC/P0611

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Well that sensor in the trunk didn't fix it. I had this happen 7 times in 6 sessions here at Laguna Seca now I'm just a spectator. This sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tucson302 said:
Well that sensor in the trunk didn't fix it. I had this happen 7 times in 6 sessions here at Laguna Seca now I'm just a spectator. This sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try this. This is what Ford had my tech do after that thing didn't work:

He contacted Ford they told him to clean and check a ground and check pin fitment in the wiring harness. Cleaned terminals and added dielectric grease. you are good to go.

cloud9 said:
Try this. This is what Ford had my tech do after that thing didn't work:

He contacted Ford they told him to clean and check a ground and check pin fitment in the wiring harness. Cleaned terminals and added dielectric grease. you are good to go.
I just texted him to confirm it's the terminal at the fuel module you replaced and he said: "Yes and at the fuel pump connector".

Hope this helps.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
cloud9 said:
I just texted him to confirm it's the terminal at the fuel module you replaced and he said: "Yes and at the fuel pump connector".

Hope this helps.

Gary thanks! Will take the car in this week and have them check this out.

Tucson302 said:
Gary thanks! Will take the car in this week and have them check this out.
Your tech should be able to call the Hotline and get very specific instructions to resolve it. It must be popping up enough that they've identified the cause and have a solution. I know when he called last year they weren't sure where to look.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
cloud9 said:
Your tech should be able to call the Hotline and get very specific instructions to resolve it. It must be popping up enough that they've identified the cause and have a solution. I know when he called last year they weren't sure where to look.

I sure hope this works because I am beyond frustrated. My last time out Sunday I was about to go into the corkscrew and it hit limp mode. Neema was right behind me so I had to ditch it to the right or I probably would have screwed up his approach. I couldn't stop and barrelled into the foot deep gravel pit and had to be towed out of it. I leterally told my wife as I'm being towed I'm selling this POS!

Tucson302 said:
I sure hope this works because I am beyond frustrated. My last time out Sunday I was about to go into the corkscrew and it hit limp mode. Neema was right behind me so I had to ditch it to the right or I probably would have screwed up his approach. I couldn't stop and barrelled into the foot deep gravel pit and had to be towed out of it. I leterally told my wife as I'm being towed I'm selling this POS!
It seems to have cured it for me, although mine was much more intermittent than yours. My guess is you've got a broken pin connector somewhere. The amazing thing is they can get almost 500 crank hp out of a 5.0 liter engine. The trouble is they have to use pixie dust (electronically controlled VCT, etc.) to get it which means more potential for issues. Because yours is having the issue so regularly it should be glaringly obvious when they trace it through whether it's a pin connector or a chafed/cut wire.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
So my dealership is having issues with the hotline they say that the car must be returned to stock first and then reproduce the issue and of course the service manager says he can't reporduce it on the street. So apparently the manager is having to go to somebody higher on the food chain....anybody want to buy a slightly used racecar that can't do a 20 minute session without limp mode? I will throw in some tires :)

TMO Supporting Vendors