The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Plasti Dip Your Wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone done this? If so how is the dip holding up? I'm thinking about doing this to my track wheels that are scratched up. I did my front grille in black and am thinking about using the anthracite grey for the wheels.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/Kit-Wheels-cat/

From an NSX Before:
ca4b743b-6efa-4c4d-9b0a-da1f08311b32_zps33853b80.jpg

After:
3840760f-498d-42de-9678-41fbed491f99_zpsf0dff92f.jpg

No personal experience, but appears to be inexpensive and relatively easy to remove if you don't like it

My main concern would be whether or not it can stand up to the high heat environment on the track

Could be bad news for you or someone else on the track if it starts peeling away on its own

Tulsa, OK
From what I've heard, it will hold up fine for track wheels (heat-wise). But the problem lies in when you want to peel the dip from a wheel that has seen high heat and lots of heat cycles. The dip won't come off without a terrible fight...

Bay Area
I did mine this past weekend. I don't have any road time on them but I do know they are easy to spray back over with minimal prep. I even sprayed two without taping the wheel off and it didn't really change wheel color, granted I used black. Let us know how they hold up on the track.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Haven't yet, but planning on trying it on one set of F14s. A friend did his and it stayed on pretty well with just street use...until somebody peeled off a section while it was parked and unattended.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
roadhouse said:
From what I've heard, it will hold up fine for track wheels (heat-wise). But the problem lies in when you want to peel the dip from a wheel that has seen high heat and lots of heat cycles. The dip won't come off without a terrible fight...

Yep. Captdistraction had a bear of a time de-dipping his wheels.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
My son has done this on his M3 wheels and on a number of other friend's cars. It actually works very well, it stays on and holds up to the heat. I've found that it's fairly easy to remove with a high pressure power washer.

-Pete

I used the spray on my Ekeis as the black wheels were on back-order. It worked very well all season, and then that fall I powder coated them matt black. The plastic-dip was not an issue for the powder coater who bead blasted them. He was a little apprehensive at first but said it came off without a problem.

Helped a friend do his HRE's on his Vette--easy to apply and came off easily a year later by hand. I wouldn't tape the tires though--they say to spray over all areas and peel off what you don't want--we did and it turned out better, no tape lines or chance to peel the good areas.
If you do it---2 light coats followed by a heavy coat and it looks good.

cobrakidz said:
Helped a friend do his HRE's on his Vette--easy to apply and came off easily a year later by hand. I wouldn't tape the tires though--they say to spray over all areas and peel off what you don't want--we did and it turned out better, no tape lines or chance to peel the good areas.
If you do it---2 light coats followed by a heavy coat and it looks good.
Great. I'll let you know when I'm going to do it. ;)

One question I have is the kit comes with four cans. If I'm just painting the front spokes and not painting the barrels do you think two cans will be enough? Also how does the dip hold up when changing tires?

NFSBOSS said:
One question I have is the kit comes with four cans. If I'm just painting the front spokes and not painting the barrels do you think two cans will be enough? Also how does the dip hold up when changing tires?

For just your front spokes, I would think two cans would be enough. It will take the three coats as previously suggested.

It will get nicked up from changing. I did not have an issue with it coming off in sheets, but around the lug nuts it was fairly nicked up. This was on my racing wheels however, which are changed a lot, and I am not as particular as I am with my street wheels. The nice thing is it is easy to touch up, however I never did that as I don't even clean my racing wheels.

NFSBOSS said:
Great. I'll let you know when I'm going to do it. ;)

I am not sure but imagine that the tire changing machine would mucker up the edge when removing the old tire.

TMO Supporting Vendors