The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Porsche Dealer for MSRP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Hi all,

A friend of mine is looking to order a Cayman GTS but he was told by his local dealer that he would have to special order the car and once it comes in, THEN they would talk finances. Does anyone know of a Porsche dealer (anywhere in the country) that will guarantee sale at MSRP?

Sounds like that "stealer" intends to sell that special order Porsche to the highest bidder once it arrives. ADM's are more common than ever right now, especially on performance vehicles. MSRP is meaning more like "Manufacturer's Sacred Retail Price" these days..........................

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Right now the Dealer Franchise and Manufacturer Climate is requesting customers order. A good example is Ford Trucks are even offering a 1000 rebate on an F150 if you order. Unfortunately we are in a situation of supply and demand on so many products and though it will eventually get back to a somewhat normal state it is taking longer than folks anticipated. The chip issue is insane and the one benefit I have seen is almost every Manufacturer is finally building cars for customers first, not for inventory. I am sure everyone thought that was how it worked, and I will not name names but many manufacturers put inventory on the first rung and orders later in the past. I can't say I like the jacking up of prices, but in some cases that I am aware of Dealers are getting 1 of what they may have gotten 5-10 of before , hence they will go at a premium. If a consumer has a written contract, a deposit , etc. there should not be any issue honoring it though. I happen to have a Porsche Cayman GTS on order but it appears it may take as much as two years because the allocations are so low and unfortunately with the unreal sinking of a ship with Porsches. Bentleys and Audis on it , there is another delay. The good thing is every single person whose vehicle was on that ship, will get immediate priority.

An unreal perspective is the Ford Store I helped sell Performance Vehicles out of was the World's largest Ford Truck Store for 14 years ( that changed when Woodhouse Auto Family bought 2 more Ford Stores ), yet it is not uncommon now for them to only have 20 vehicles on the ground. They still sell a ton, but they are all ordered ( try 800 orders now ). It is the same with the other their other Ford Stores including the one I tell folks on TMO to call/PM me for ordering a Mustang.

Some places are taking orders when they only sold a few vehicles the years before and that is one area where consumers will find things a problem. A store that sold 200-300 new cars a year is not going to all of a sudden get 2000 with orders, but orders are the wave of the future --- and you get what you want.

Buying a new car you want off the lot at a good price, seems like a thing of the past, at least, right now. I remember ordering my Boss in April 2011 and not getting it til Oct,5,2011. THAT was a LONG wait for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!........it could have been worse since my Boss was scheduled for delivery in the last quarter of the yr........Me petestering the dealer non stop may have helped things along!...........That squeaky wheel gets the oil......................................

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I sold automobiles back in the 70s and 80s when two major items impacted sales to consumers, gas prices ( and therefore the swing to small, fuel efficient cars ) and extremely high interest rates. Surprisingly similar situations to today though the causes are somewhat different, but one item that is seldom addressed today is the one item pushed heavily back so many decades ago ( when there also were no rebates per se ) --- trade difference. The key component to this part of the equation was to purchase a vehicle with high resale value. Sure it is talked about some today, but it was a heavy part of many buyer's decision on their purchase.
I recently bought a new 2022 Ram 1500 Crew Cab and surprisingly the difference was not atrocious considering I traded in an 8 year old truck to get a new one. The factor I am equating to the past is right now we are all in a position that our used vehicles almost all are carrying extremely high resale values so the difference is not as crazy as some may expect. Since my used vehicle went up over $4,000 in value from two years ago ( the used market has had a higher percentage increase than the new market) I actually got into a 22 for close to the same thing a 20 was going to cost me ---- I had seriously looked into trading in 2020.
I tell my friends that ordering is actually a good thing, as they are not paying the extra 1000 for the sunroof they didn't want or another 1000 for Navigation when the vehicle comes with Apple or Android Car play , so one can actually tailor it to want they want. Because Dealers are all embracing this to acquire Sales , it is actually becoming the norm and reputable Stores will give you a contract, take a deposit , and work with you as it is in both sides interest.

History repeats itself and it is time to think difference and resale , not worry about a 1000 rebate on a vehicle that has 2000 worth of options you don't want - imho.

I sold automobiles back in the 70s and 80s when two major items impacted sales to consumers, gas prices ( and therefore the swing to small, fuel efficient cars ) and extremely high interest rates. Surprisingly similar situations to today though the causes are somewhat different, but one item that is seldom addressed today is the one item pushed heavily back so many decades ago ( when there also were no rebates per se ) --- trade difference. The key component to this part of the equation was to purchase a vehicle with high resale value. Sure it is talked about some today, but it was a heavy part of many buyer's decision on their purchase.
I recently bought a new 2022 Ram 1500 Crew Cab and surprisingly the difference was not atrocious considering I traded in an 8 year old truck to get a new one. The factor I am equating to the past is right now we are all in a position that our used vehicles almost all are carrying extremely high resale values so the difference is not as crazy as some may expect. Since my used vehicle went up over $4,000 in value from two years ago ( the used market has had a higher percentage increase than the new market) I actually got into a 22 for close to the same thing a 20 was going to cost me ---- I had seriously looked into trading in 2020.
I tell my friends that ordering is actually a good thing, as they are not paying the extra 1000 for the sunroof they didn't want or another 1000 for Navigation when the vehicle comes with Apple or Android Car play , so one can actually tailor it to want they want. Because Dealers are all embracing this to acquire Sales , it is actually becoming the norm and reputable Stores will give you a contract, take a deposit , and work with you as it is in both sides interest.

History repeats itself and it is time to think difference and resale , not worry about a 1000 rebate on a vehicle that has 2000 worth of options you don't want - imho.

I actually like the made to order theory for the exact reasons you state.

Some people who are only impulse buyers will be effected but what can you do.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel