The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Race Car Shopping Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
I am considering retiring my street car (a lightly modified 2012 Boss 302) from track and time attack duty and jumping in with a race car to test and tune for at least a season before going W2W. My budget likely would only allow for a well prepped New Edge or SN95 vs a mild/incomplete S197 build. S550 is out of the question. I personally have plenty of experience with S197's including V6's, V8's, and GT500 or SC cars but zero experience (on track) driving SN95's. That said, I have seen a lot of posts on here about how much better a platform that S197 is so I am very tempted to go with a mild S197 build that can grow with me if budget allows upgrades in the future vs getting something that may be better on day 1 but without much room to grow. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, what did you do and are you happy with your decision? Can anyone quantify in performance (lap times) and consumables the difference between running both (same track and same driver)?

p.s. good to be back on the forum after a long hiatus!

sfo
My tip would be take up fishing instead. If you start off talking budget this sport is going to get painful right quick. Whatever you think it is going to cost multiple by 3. The honest truth is the cost of the car is the cheapest part. I was clubracing around the country at the same time my daughter was in college living by herself in a resort style luxury apartment in california. Let's just say college was cheap.

p.s. good to be back on the forum after a long hiatus!
Glad to have you back!!....As bob mentioned, racing/tracking a car takes on a major commitment in your time and finances.I'm a cheapskate...never tracked my Boss. Only enjoy driving it and you know what else when I can.........If racing is in your blood, you will find your own way there. I'm happy where I am......but you seem to have a need to move up a notch....Go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
First things first, are you a builder or just a driver? If you prefer not to always be chasing the latest go-fast parts combination, look at the tightly-controlled spec-chassis classes. If you like redesigning the suspension geometry every few months, look at the more "open" classes. Since you mentioned W2W, take a look at what classes have larger fields at the events in your area. Always more fun if you have other people to race "heads-up" against instead of winning a class of one.

Is this a "Mustang race car shopping" question, or a "race car shopping" question? If you're looking at Mustangs, I think the S197 chassis is a much better starting point than earlier Mustangs - more torsional rigidity in the shell and a rear suspension that doesn't bind up if you look at it funny.

However, if you have a trailer and are looking for a dedicated track car, you can't beat a real-live honest-to-goodness designed-from-the-start race car. Sports racers or open-wheel cars (well, except maybe Formula Vee) are worlds different in ability than a converted street car. Tube-frame chassis cars, be it GT/Trans Am or ex-NASCAR road racer, are also much more suited to track duty. Any time you can leverage a large supply of real racing parts (e.g., compatibility with roundy-rounders), you're better off.

Just as examples (I know nothing about these actual cars), there's a Runoffs-winning Formula Mazda for sale under $20K -

If you don't want to deal with tuning aero, here are a couple Formula Fords -

Don't like your tires hanging out in the breeze? Here's an SRF for $12.5k -

Want some major respect from your NASCAR-watching neighbor?

Want to assemble yourself?

People may joke about it being "The Answer" but there's always a supply of them in varying levels of ability, and usually large classes in W2W -

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
My tip would be take up fishing instead. If you start off talking budget this sport is going to get painful right quick. Whatever you think it is going to cost multiple by 3. The honest truth is the cost of the car is the cheapest part. I was clubracing around the country at the same time my daughter was in college living by herself in a resort style luxury apartment in california. Let's just say college was cheap.
Haha thanks for trying to set me straight! Unfortunately for myself and my family, I am too far gone lol. I have been driving on track in one form or another for 10+ years and sharing race cars for 5 so I know the peril I'm getting into. Budget doesn't mean trying to do it on pennies, but there are different levels of spending and budgets. Otherwise, there would be no racing outside of IMSA, PWC, etc.
Glad to have you back!!....As bob mentioned, racing/tracking a car takes on a major commitment in your time and finances.I'm a cheapskate...never tracked my Boss. Only enjoy driving it and you know what else when I can.........If racing is in your blood, you will find your own way there. I'm happy where I am......but you seem to have a need to move up a notch....Go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you!! I am unfortunately inflicted with the track bug... I have been sharing race cars for years and looking to get into one of my own so I can be in something I enjoy more.

First things first, are you a builder or just a driver? If you prefer not to always be chasing the latest go-fast parts combination, look at the tightly-controlled spec-chassis classes. If you like redesigning the suspension geometry every few months, look at the more "open" classes. Since you mentioned W2W, take a look at what classes have larger fields at the events in your area. Always more fun if you have other people to race "heads-up" against instead of winning a class of one.

Is this a "Mustang race car shopping" question, or a "race car shopping" question? If you're looking at Mustangs, I think the S197 chassis is a much better starting point than earlier Mustangs - more torsional rigidity in the shell and a rear suspension that doesn't bind up if you look at it funny.

However, if you have a trailer and are looking for a dedicated track car, you can't beat a real-live honest-to-goodness designed-from-the-start race car. Sports racers or open-wheel cars (well, except maybe Formula Vee) are worlds different in ability than a converted street car. Tube-frame chassis cars, be it GT/Trans Am or ex-NASCAR road racer, are also much more suited to track duty. Any time you can leverage a large supply of real racing parts (e.g., compatibility with roundy-rounders), you're better off.

Just as examples (I know nothing about these actual cars), there's a Runoffs-winning Formula Mazda for sale under $20K -

If you don't want to deal with tuning aero, here are a couple Formula Fords -

Don't like your tires hanging out in the breeze? Here's an SRF for $12.5k -

Want some major respect from your NASCAR-watching neighbor?

Want to assemble yourself?

People may joke about it being "The Answer" but there's always a supply of them in varying levels of ability, and usually large classes in W2W -

Thank you Dave for the very detailed response. It is essentially a "Mustang race car shopping". I haven't ruled out other cars completely but it would have to be a very compelling package in terms of set up and asking price.

Converted stock cars are very tempting due to the value and pace, but I have soft spot for production-based racing and if I'm going to run my own car, I would much rather do it in something I love. Formula and prototypes are also appealing to me but there aren't enough of them locally to run a class and mixing in with 'sedan' racers is a bit beyond my risk tolerance due to visibility issues.

Up in our region, we have bracket racing classes to make it more flexible for people to fit into classes regardless of budget, car, etc. (with penalties for breaking out and using devices to sandbag). This makes it simple for classing but even more tempting to go SN95/New Edge and run in a slower class vs an S197. That said, I like the idea of having an S197 that can grow with me if I decide to try run up front later and I could slow it down with a restrictor, tires, aero, etc., but I need some way to quantify the difference in pace to help me make the decision.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
<long dejected sigh>

-Slams last sip of coffee. Closes forum tab. Gets back to work.-

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel