The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Tips/Advice/Strategies/Findings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Minnesota
Been a part of this site for quite some time now, think this would be a good thread to post some insight/experience for both beginners and Vets. Always looking for tips to improve times or skills, so if you have anything from useful knowledge to techniques or preferences please share. I'm going to try and keep this updated with things I've found. I'm very much in to the technical/physics aspects of this so anything related to that please feel free to share.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Don't eat a whole roast chicken before going out to set a fast lap... I did that some time ago and was green around the gills for the rest of the day. Sounds flippant I know, but ever since then, I'm very careful in what one eats/drinks on race day.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Here's my nugget. Don't push the day, track driving is stressful and you need to take breaks. Trying to fill every moment with track time will likely fatigue you and fatigue is the worst enemy you have. Lots of breaks, proper hydration and food and lots of shade. There is no shame in skipping a session if you need break.
There is a lot of red face if you wad a car up though.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Minnesota
Here's my nugget. Don't push the day, track driving is stressful and you need to take breaks. Trying to fill every moment with track time will likely fatigue you and fatigue is the worst enemy you have. Lots of breaks, proper hydration and food and lots of shade. There is no shame in skipping a session if you need break.
There is a lot of red face if you wad a car up though.
I'm always surprised at how physically and mentally exhausted I am at the end of a track day. Great advice

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
One thing that really helped my driving was professional online driving coaches like https://blayze.io/coach/dion-von-moltke
I found the online reviews of my track videos to be more beneficial to me, then actual tutors for the simple reason that I was to tired or wound up to really take in the tips I would get at the physical track. Not to mention you can barely hear what they are saying in the car when your going flat out! Seeing the tips on the screen later with playbacks and slowmotion, grafics etc really sunk in for me. Big fan of Dion Von Moltke. Every thing from the fasted line to when to accelerate or brake, as well as tips on wheel to wheel passing and strategies.

and its very cheap!!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Or at least with a OBD reader attached to the video so they can see the acceleration and braking. Find it hard to have one video do both at the same time. But is pretty easy to set up a second camara for the interior shots. With software like Racerender its simple to setup multiple views.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
A couple suggestions:
  • Checklists Pre-event, post-event, pre-session, post-session
  • Goals - specific things you want to focus on (techniques, corners, etc)
  • Coaching - don’t be reluctant to get qualified feedback and coaching (+1 @Mad Hatter)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
There is a book called Speed secrets. Start with that. It will put pieces together for you on what stuff means and how to use it better.

Get a Garmin Catalyst. Truly an unbelievable piece of equipment. The data you can pull from that is crazy.

Watch a shiznit ton of you tube. You can learn track, racing lines and even bench marks for when you go to that track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
Would you mind sharing the checklists you use? Thanks.

Only if the team agrees to help me refine them! :cool:

Pre-event checklist
  • Clean tires/wheels
  • Bleed brakes
  • Check pad thickness
  • Change oil/filter
  • Drive car and listen for unusual noises
  • Perform under-car/under-hood inspection
  • Check torque on suspension fasteners
  • Check alignment settings
  • Prep spares box
  • Wash car
  • Tech Inspection
  • Apply temporary paint protection
  • Purchase Track insurance
  • Start hydrating

Morning checklist
  • Select focus areas/goals for day & first session
  • Check oil
  • Rotate/inspect tires
  • Check pad thickness
  • Set tire pressures
  • Gas up
  • Clean windshield
  • Check/setup data acquisition

Pre-session checklist
  • Restroom
  • Inspect tires for wear/damage
  • Check oil level
  • Check lug torque (if cool)
  • Safety equipment prep
  • Review focus areas/goals for next session
  • Gas up
  • Check data acquisition

Post-session checklist
  • Check/adjust hot tire pressures
  • Raise hood to assist with cooldown
  • Look it over under the hood and around the car
  • Review session data/video
  • Select focus areas/goals for next session
  • High fives with other drivers as situation calls for
  • Hydrate and cool off

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
One thing that really helped my driving was professional online driving coaches like https://blayze.io/coach/dion-von-moltke
I found the online reviews of my track videos to be more beneficial to me, then actual tutors for the simple reason that I was to tired or wound up to really take in the tips I would get at the physical track. Not to mention you can barely hear what they are saying in the car when your going flat out! Seeing the tips on the screen later with playbacks and slowmotion, grafics etc really sunk in for me. Big fan of Dion Von Moltke. Every thing from the fasted line to when to accelerate or brake, as well as tips on wheel to wheel passing and strategies.

and its very cheap!!
Agree with @Mad Hatter here...Blayze is the best money spent hands down.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Minnesota
If you want to try Road America next year let me know. I have done about 800 laps and we have a whole team that is super fun with Middleton Motorsports.
I tried RA this past July, got 2 sessions in (stuck behind an old dude in a Ferrari that wouldn't let anyone by) then cracked a ring land and destroyed a piston. New motor from RPG should be here in the next couple weeks. I'll be back for revenge next summer. Should definitely let me know when! I'd love some instruction

Bay Area

What has already been mentioned is a great starting point. Heres my .02 since most of the guys touched on the important stuff.

1) Check you ego at the gate. There is no trophy at the end of the day.
2) See rule one
3) Have fun
4) Seat time
5) Don't push yourself. If your tired take a break.
6) If you're not feeling it see above.
& most importantly DON'T EAT A WHOLE CHICKEN!! :p

On a serious note, stay hydrated and eat to keep your energy level up but don't over eat. It will get the best of you. And sometimes watch out for that track food It might ruin your afternoon. Most of the track food is greasy and well.... you get the gist.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
After that, I feel obligated to contribute something actually useful.

Look ahead. No, further ahead.

You want to be thinking about 2-3 seconds ahead of where you are now. You should know where your corner exit is before you get to the corner entry braking point, so you know what the total arc you want to drive is and how much you need to slow. If you can't see it, imagine where it is using other cues (distant tree in line, clump of weeds sticking up, memory and dead reckoning).

You want to be driving PROactively instead of REactively. Drive the car to place it where you want it, rather than letting the car drive you. To do that, you need to continuously plan out the next several seconds of regular inputs, plus what extra inputs/corrections you might need. Cresting a hill at the apex? Plan on not just driving the line, but the chance of the car getting light in the rear and maybe needing to countersteer, and think how much countersteer you may need and how quickly the car will recover to avoid a tank-slapper. Or maybe the front tires will wash out over the crest and you need to unwind the wheel a bit to recover from the understeer - how much, how quick? And each lap through the same turn could be different depending on entry speed, tire grip, track temperature, someone ahead putting two wheels off and kicking up dirt, etc. It's making these multiple little game plans multiple times per lap that lets you "get ahead" of the car and be as smooth and fast as possible.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
I was told back in the day that the best tool at the track is the 6” between the ears.
Hands at 3 and 9.
Eyes up, way up & look where you want to go, not where you’ve been. Like @Dave_W said above.^^
Get heat in your tires and brakes on your out lap before you push. Cold tires & brakes suck, nobody likes the run off at turn 1.
Remember your good coaching. The ones they always told you to improve on, bad habits are difficult to break.
Shiny side up, bring it home the same way you got it there. Always positive thoughts.

TMO Supporting Vendors