The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

RE-71R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce0293

2016 GT350 Track Pack
Gents,

Any body have any personal experience running these tires in a 285/35-19 for autocrossing/HPDE events. I am going to run street class AS (autocrossin) in a gt350, and there is limited sizes available, this being likely the very best in grip. Bigger sizes wont be available until September??

Would dearly appreciate some first hand feed back.

I'm not familiar with that tire but I'd want more not less rubber. Can you run the PSS in a 305 square?

Welcome to TMO!

Bruce0293

2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hello and thank you.

Yes, I can run the PSS tires and are familiar with them having won AS in the Steel City region last year in a C6GS. However, the PSS is a great tire, but I honestly don't think it can match the RE-71R's level of grip. Fellow competitors reported near R compound levels of grip using this tire. I trying going to decide, one way or the other.

I am going to more than have my work cut out against Vettes, so I am looking for all the grip I can get.

The RE-71 is an awesome tire. Currently for Autox in street class the tire of choice is either the RE-71 or Rival S. Until something new comes along anyhow. These two tires are rated at 200 treadwear, but that is only to meet SCCA Street & Touring class rules. They offer grip levels more in line with tires rated at 100 or less IMO. If my choices were at 285 RE-71 or Rival S and any other tire in a 305 I would run the 285, the grip is just that much better than everything else that meet SCCA Street class rules.

VoodooBOSS said:
How does the RS3 V2 compare to those tires?

Rick, its a great tire, I ran it a when they first came out. From my experience its a 1/2 second slower on 45 second autox course compared to the RE-71 or Rival S. Most of the SCCA compliant 200 treadwear tires are great performing tires, its just that grip wise the RE-71 and Rival S are in a class of their own. The Rival (non S), Dunlop zll Star Spec, RS3 V2, RE-11A, Kumho v720 and to some extent the PSS are all great tires IMO, but they don't offer the grip levels of the RE-71 or Rival S. I compete to win so I've found currently the RE-71/Rival S are my only choice even if that means running a smaller tire by 20mm. They are just that superior. Now once a manufacture releases a new compound then all bets are off.

I think the group of tires you mentioned, that include the RS3, perform better on a road course. They handle heat better during extended period of time. If not mistaken, the Rival S was specifically designed for AutoX, so it will probably produces better grip during short stints.
As for the RE-71R, don't know anything about them! :p

Bruce0293

2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thanks guys,

I have some GA1R's in correct offsets do to ship next week, and am struggling on what tire to mount, argh... At this early hour I am back to the RE-71's. :-\ I know I was giving up grip last year in the Vette running the PSS tires, but there was no other 19's available that would fit. My option was to buy 18" wheels with the correct offsets, however I knew the GT350 would show up one day....

I appreciate your feedback!

I'm on 315 square Rival-S. Lots of grip, but the track wear has me concerned. I lost 2/32 on my last day on track. From what I saw with non-mustang cars, the RE71R track wear is a problem. Like 4 days and they were nearly out of tread. Sure hope I get to try the Rival-s for autocross before I burn them up.

Can't afford to (or won't) throw this much coin at rubber. Will have to back down the scale. Maybe Falkens next.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If I remember right, Briidgestone owns Dunlop and the RE-71R looks exactly like the Dunlop Dirreza Z2. The Z2 is a great tire for the track, I went through 3 sets of 275/35-19 Dunlops and the things just last and last, They do heat cycle out eventually, but never get corded while getting faster lap times then any of the hot street tires that do not cost a fortune (RS3 for example). Probably only thing thats faster with a TD 180 and above would be a Pilot Cup tire. But thats just too expensive. Too bad the RE-71R does not come in wider sizes.

Mad Hatter said:
If I remember right, Briidgestone owns Dunlop and the RE-71R looks exactly like the Dunlop Dirreza Z2. The Z2 is a great tire for the track, I went through 3 sets of 275/35-19 Dunlops and the things just last and last, They do heat cycle out eventually, but never get corded while getting faster lap times then any of the hot street tires that do not cost a fortune (RS3 for example). Probably only thing thats faster with a TD 180 and above would be a Pilot Cup tire. But thats just too expensive. Too bad the RE-71R does not come in wider sizes.

I wish for bigger ziti starspecs. Loved them

Bruce0293

2016 GT350 Track Pack
I went thru 5 set of Dunlaps Star specs and the last set was the ZII, great tire. All on an S2000.

The Grand Sport first year running in SSR class on Hossier A6 tires (2nd place, year end) was like Crack for its adhesion qualities, and IMHO made up for mistakes. They are so easy to drive fast!!!

I ran PSS tire all all last year in AS class, and had it out on the track for (2) twenty minute sessions, great tire overall, and wore VERY well considering all the autocross events I ran in several divisions/locations.

I decided on ordering the RE-71R's and having them mounted by Forgeline for the wheels that are to ship next week. Excited!

So,,, I plan on running most all events autocrossing on the Bridgestones and when I do some HPDE ( scca track night) events I will likely run the factory wheels with the PSS tires. Yes, the RE-71r's will have more grip, but they will likely wear very fast under track conditions... just my two cents.

Thanks for the posts guys :)

TMO Supporting Vendors