The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Removing hood stripe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you guys think about a Boss without the hood stripe? I like the look of the Grabber Blue LS Boss they auctioned at Barret-Jackson.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/01a-grabber-blue-boss-302-bj.jpg

Depends on the color. I like the stripe on my white one, but I think a full black hood like the ur Boss would have been better. I originally tried to special order a Kona one with all the vinyl and white roof deleted but couldn't get a dealer to do it. If I had gone with a Kona I would have removed the strips, painted the spoiler black, and vinyl wrapped the roof black. Part of the reason I went with the white. Actually I would have preferred the trunk black too. Maybe if I keep it long enough to need a re-spray ;D

Might hurt resale value, so if that matters get a spare one to put on when you sell it.

CaliMR said:
Depends on the color. I like the stripe on my white one, but I think a full black hood like the ur Boss would have been better. I originally tried to special order a Kona one with all the vinyl and white roof deleted but couldn't get a dealer to do it. If I had gone with a Kona I would have removed the strips, painted the spoiler black, and vinyl wrapped the roof black. Part of the reason I went with the white. Actually I would have preferred the trunk black too. Maybe if I keep it long enough to need a re-spray ;D

Might hurt resale value, so if that matters get a spare one to put on when you sell it.

I also have a PW Boss 302. As far as resale goes, it can always be replaced. ;) I also like the Kona Blue Boss. If it came with a black roof, hood stripe, and c-stripe I would have purchased it.

98RedGT

2012 #552
CaliMR said:

I also tried to get Ford to build Kona Blue with black instead of white, since there was an issue with my original Yellow Blaze order, but they would not budge.

Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
What do you guys think about a Boss without the hood stripe? I like the look of the Grabber Blue LS Boss they auctioned at Barret-Jackson.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/01a-grabber-blue-boss-302-bj.jpg
I was thinking of removing the hood decal mostly because I don't like the orange peel look. A friend of mind did these photos of my car for me.

MU0X0498.jpg
DuffyBossexWhiteHood.jpg
DuffyBossexwhitehoodandroof.jpg

5 DOT 0 said:
Nice2BEtheBOSS said:

I was thinking of removing the hood decal mostly because I don't like the orange peel look. A friend of mind did these photos of my car for me.

MU0X0498.jpg
DuffyBossexWhiteHood.jpg
DuffyBossexwhitehoodandroof.jpg

Your friend has some awesome photoshop skills. Are you going to remove the stripe or are you still contemplating it? Do you think your friend can photoshop a performance white boss with NO stripe and photoshop the side mirrors black? I really want to see what it looks like. I have a very basic photoshop program on my laptop which is a dinosaur

He's pretty good but hates doing PS work. There's a guy either on this forum or TMS with a white Boss that removed the stripes. Also member Steveespo has a white GT/Boss clone so you can look for his photos. Removing the stripes will make your car look just like a GT since that's how it starts life. ;)

I flip flop on this weekly but I'm probably going to buy a 302S hood and paint it KB and white like the white on the hood on this Boss.

302Shooddesalvo.jpg

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
He's pretty good but hates doing PS work. There's a guy either on this forum or TMS with a white Boss that removed the stripes. Also member Steveespo has a white GT/Boss clone so you can look for his photos. Removing the stripes will make your car look just like a GT since that's how it starts life. ;)

I flip flop on this weekly but I'm probably going to buy a 302S hood and paint it KB and white like the white on the hood on this Boss.

302Shooddesalvo.jpg

How about on the 302s hood if you paint it KB with only the vents white?

5 DOT 0 said:

302Shooddesalvo.jpg

I was just thinking about removing the hood stripe. I wouldn't touch the reverse c-stripe.

Does anyone on this forum have some good photoshop skills that can remove only the hood stripe on a performance white boss 302 and post the photo?

5 DOT 0 said:

Mine isn't too bad yet (PW boss), if it gets bad I am going to peal it off and have the whole hood wrapped in black. The trunk too.

I have seen a red or comp orange on u tube that had the hood decal removed. I actually like it plain....seems to make the hood bulge more pronounced without the decal....thinking about removing it on my race red BOSS.

DT,
nah, no hood decal is like going topless...as in topless beach. Go with the 302S grille if you track it alot!

BOSS2664 said:
I have seen a red or comp orange on u tube that had the hood decal removed. I actually like it plain....seems to make the hood bulge more pronounced without the decal....thinking about removing it on my race red BOSS.

I noticed that no stripe does make the hood buldge more apparent as well. The grabber blue LS boss 302 looks pretty sweet without it.

TMO Supporting Vendors