Removing the Stock Oil Cooler, what is needed?

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by VoodooBoss, Mar 22, 2014.

1. gww52

gww52 TMO Advanced

Bringing this back up.
    Just working on what I hope is my last oil cooler mod.
    Stock cooler, stock with Ford Racing,FR radiator,eliminate stock cooler and use 172 and -12 with oil thermostat that almost worked if I pulled the grill.
    On to a 948,-12 lines,Improved Racing thermostatic sandwich plate,Roush 7 bar grill and Trackspec motorsport hood louvers.
    I'm hoping to see 225 max oil temp at Watkins Glen.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  2. LIGISTX

LIGISTX TMO Beginner

Hey guys, just came across this thread while looking for oil cooling options. Just wondering, has anyone tried the Setrab sandwich plate? I see people using the mishimoto and moroso units, but not a single person has tried the setrab?

To me, the mishimoto is nice being CNCed, but the o-ring looks like a standard oil filter gasket which isn’t exactly intended to be a forever seal imo, and after reading that not all of the gasket actually makes contact with the block is a bit disconcerting.

The setrab unit is die cast vs CNC, but to my eye it appears to have a better gasket, but that is simply via looking at it in pictures on their website.

My car isn’t a track weapon, I do HPDE events and drive the car on the street, not as my DD, but often enough to warrant a thermostatic plate IMO.

Any suggestions?

Edit- I also just came across the Mocal unit as well. Really not sure whose option is best. The last thing I want is oil leaks...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    VoodooBoss likes this.
  3. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

TBH I think the sandwich plate choice is one of the least critical decisions. One is as good as another, IMO. Whatever suits your needs for sensor ports (if any) should be fine. To add another option, I have a Canton plate :)

VoodooBoss and LIGISTX like this.
  4. drano38

drano38 Wayne

I used the Moroso on mine because I like the AN- fittings for the hoses.
    But it does not have ports for oil pressure or temp.
    And if you want a thermostat, you'll have to add one down stream.
    I installed an Improved Racing thermostat and it works well.

Grant 302, LIGISTX and VoodooBoss like this.
  5. gww52

gww52 TMO Advanced

I had the Moroso plate and IR thermostat.
    When IR came out with their thermostatic plate I changed from the inline thermostat to the plate.
    Eliminated 8 fittings and gained 5-8 lbs of oil pressure.
    Works great so far.

LIGISTX, VoodooBoss and Grant 302 like this.