The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Removing the Stock Oil Cooler, what is needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Updating this thread. I just finished my oil cooler install today.
IMG_0355_zpslihkeagd.jpg

I went with a Setrab 660 instead of a 948. I choose it over the 948 because it was easier to install and even that it has a lesser cooling potential, it has a greater percentage of it surface directly in the upper grille opening vs the 948.
Also it fit perfectly with the Blowfish tow hook for the bottom fixation.
It cost me less than 30$ to fix it into the car and only have to drill 1 hole (and 2 in the Blowfish tow hook)
IMG_0357_zpstloj9tdj.jpg
IMG_0358_zpseekaqjyi.jpg
IMG_0359_zpsmxkejr7h.jpg
IMG_0368_zpsz5wghsb9.jpg

I used a Glowshift sandwich plate for the oil temp(before cooler) and a Moroso oil cooler plate adapter.
I'm using AN-10 Aeroquip starlit hose and a protection sleeve from Improved racing.
I'm not using a thermostat but will be monitoring oil temp and a one if necessary.
I routed my line above the sway bar and holding them with clamp fixed on the radiator support
IMG_0360_zpsbq9y68ji.jpg
IMG_0367_zpswmdpuiu9.jpg
IMG_0362_zpskto4nean.jpg
IMG_0356_zpsrrp69inv.jpg

I also added the following sensor
Oil pressure : stock location with a T fitting
Water temp : Core heater location
IMG_0365_zpszdddrjnr.jpg

Nice work.

So is there somewhat of a consensus on this? It sounds like removing the stock oil cooler would cause coolant temps to rise a little and has no real effect on oil temperature if I am understanding this correctly which I probably am not.

Still haven't put an oil cooler in the car yet, cant decide which route to go. I have a GT so no boss cooler, and was planning to run the mishimoto plate. Seems like thats the way to go for the GT, but open to suggestion. Can't really decide which setrab to get, though. Any reason you guys dont run the series 1 72 row?

I should note that I have removed my A/C system, and I am putting in a CSF radiator. I have a moroso road race 10qt oilpan.

So I figured I'll update this post rather than start a new one. I removed the stock on and installed an Improved racing 172 Cooler with inline thermostat. Used the Moroso sandwich plate, 10 ft of line, 2 90 degree fittings and 6 straight fittings. Turned out good, my buddy helping has OCD so he tried his best to make it look clean. Only issue I'm seeing is I may need a new grille since the 302s grille may be blocking it too much. I'll get the rest of the pictures from him of the underside, basically routed beside the radiator on the driver's side and mounted the thermostat on the Blowfish tow hook bracket. Just couldn't find the space in the engine bay that we were both comfortable with. Works great so far. Car heats up faster and no leaks.

1388078554542288_2388556763207292120_n_zpsxkqkl8oa.jpg

1387957214554422_7861100282165383113_n_zpss2fqtdsr.jpg

1388056371211173_8282025104110712862_n_zpswrifz4of.jpg

1388056404544503_1960184009882056319_n_zpsdnu7j9zg.jpg

_1388056421211168_854699178793522236_n_zpstmh23q34.jpg

1388078554542288_2388556763207292120_n_zpsxkqkl8oa.jpg

So I have a new issue/question. My oil temp gauge stopped working at the Glenn so I have no idea what my temps are. Current location is off a T switch with the oil pressure gauge. What is a good location/place to try a get a reading for the oil temp? I have the Moroso sandwich plate. I thought about trying to do something inline, just not sure if that is the best way to go at this point. Also, I know there are other possibilities of issues with the gauge, but I've never gotten good readings from it since the first motor got swapped out. So at this point i'm basically going to try and do a redo on the setup so I can get accurate readings again.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
The OEM oil sender location taps into the main oil galley just prior to feeding the engine main bearing for the crankshaft. This location gives you data pre-main bearing temp/pressure.

The sandwich plate is also a good location as mentioned above, if located on the engine feed side, post external oil cooler matrix. This location gives you post oil cooler oil temps, just prior to being filtered and sent to the main oil galley.

If you keep the current location, check for bits of sealant in the T-Connector from your last engine rebuild.

Good luck and keep us posted.
302 Hi Pro

TMSBOSS said:
Locating temp and pressure sensors in a sandwich plate is affective. Easy install also.

So basically tapping it? I'm thinking of keeping the pressure gauge where it's at and just moving the oil temp gauge. Mind you I'll be trying to find a pro since this sounds way out of my league.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Smilieboy said:
Which one did you go with, most of the ones I see I'm not impressed with. Really don't want to buy another since I have the moroso unit tbh.
I bought a generic plate, no brand name a few years back. Sorry I cant help with seller or brand....I searched Ebay and cant find details of purchase.

You can drill and tap. I considered doing this except a second plate was $20.00. Why take the risk??

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Black Boss said:
Here's a few pics of the 948 install:

Used spacers at the top on Mike's bracket to get 3/4" air gap between the Cooler and the condenser (only needed with the thicker 302S radiator):

Cooler extends about an inch into lower facia opening -- hopefully more cooling!
IMG_1073Medium_zps0672bf15.png

Wow, that oil cooler covers a major portion of the radiator....I'd be interested to see how this has affected both oil and water temps in the long run now that you've had this set up for some time...any updates?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
ArizonaBOSS said:
A Canton plate came with the 302S Kit. I can look up the PN tonight.

Canton sandwich plate I used: PN 22-549 (215013012)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
ArizonaBOSS said:
Information from Saturday's race:

30-minute sprint race
Data from final 5 laps
Ambient temps 75* F

• Setrab 925 Cooler in-series w/ OEM Oil-to-Water cooler; no tstat
  • Stock BOSS radiator
  • 302S Grille
  • Tiger Hood

ECTs stable between 216-225* each lap
Oil Temps stable between 257-262* each lap (pretty consistent!), measured after cooler.

Just to update, while at Thunderhill and also this weekend at INDE Motorsports Ranch we had temperatures above 90*F and now my car is starting to send the ECTs upwards of 240 on a consistent basis, with oil temps 250-270F.
This is causing me to have to back off and/or short-shift during races to keep the car from hitting the 245F limp mode and probably not great for the engine anyways.
I am running the car quite a bit harder than I was when I first installed the 925.

I am going to delete the stock oil-to-water unit and upgrade my existing Setrab 925 to a 948 at some point in the near future.

I'm in the process of upgrading from the OE cooler and Ford Racing 915 to the 172 and Ford Racing aluminum radiator.
I'd like to see the rest of Smileboys pictures of his install or anyone else's.
I'm using -12 so that makes it a little more of a challenge.
Over the crossmember lines up and gives some room to work.
After seeing how much the lower radiator hose was restricted buy the cooler bypass
I wonder how it ran as cool as it did.

After reading through this entire thread, I saw that Misimoto has put togehter an oil cooler kit for our cars. The heat exchanger may not be as big as some of you racers use, but for HPDE use, it seems to fit my needs. Their website lists the kit for $680, which I thought was pretty resasonable considering it includes all the -AN lines, heat exchanger, mounting bracket, and the sandwich adapter.
https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-mustang-5-0l-oil-cooler-kit-11-14.html
I did a secondary search and found a couple sources that list this kit for less money, so I figured I'd pass on the word...
American Muscle has is listed for $578
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-oil-cooler-1114gt-silver.html
Amazon also had this same kit listed for as little as $450! Thats the one I picked up, and it appears that was the last one they had in stock at that price, and now list it for the same $578 as AM had. I suppose

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
After reading through this entire thread, I saw that Misimoto has put togehter an oil cooler kit for our cars. The heat exchanger may not be as big as some of you racers use, but for HPDE use, it seems to fit my needs. Their website lists the kit for $680, which I thought was pretty resasonable considering it includes all the -AN lines, heat exchanger, mounting bracket, and the sandwich adapter.
https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-mustang-5-0l-oil-cooler-kit-11-14.html
I did a secondary search and found a couple sources that list this kit for less money, so I figured I'd pass on the word...
American Muscle has is listed for $578
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-oil-cooler-1114gt-silver.html
Amazon also had this same kit listed for as little as $450! Thats the one I picked up, and it appears that was the last one they had in stock at that price, and now list it for the same $578 as AM had. I suppose

That's the kit i have on mine. Granted i boxed in the radiator at the same time. It's working perfect for me so far.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel