The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Replacing a Missing TracKey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all,

I purchased my used 2012 Boss without the Red key available. It appears to have been done at one point by a dealer in Red Deer, Alberta. The key wasn't provided with the sale.

When I go through the cars INFO screen, I see that 2-Admin Keys are programmed. Is it possible to simply order the Red TracKey and have them register it to my car, or do I have to re-Flash the whole PCM and pay full price? Ready to order it today.

Thanks

you will have to re-code the key to the car, that's a given. Now, I'm unsure if that means having to reflash the ecu, I don't imagine it would since it's already been done. The dealer will have to code the key to the car and then from there, set it up for the car to recognize it as the red key. Shouldn't be too difficult, probably a 1hr service I'm thinking?

WorldFamousZ said:
you will have to re-code the key to the car, that's a given. Now, I'm unsure if that means having to reflash the ecu, I don't imagine it would since it's already been done. The dealer will have to code the key to the car and then from there, set it up for the car to recognize it as the red key. Shouldn't be too difficult, probably a 1hr service I'm thinking?

I laughed at your last line..Shouldn't be too difficult, probably a 1hr service I'm thinking?
I do agree with you that it should be easy but after reading all the nightmare stories of dealers trying to program trackey, I'm not so sure. Its just not a key as we all know. Hoefully they can program it to work in one trip to the dealer. But Xboxer has no choice and I hope all goes smooth for him.

I'm in the same boat, only I don't know if the red key was ever done. I purchased used with only one key. Do the dealers have Blank Red Keys there or do they have to special order a red key

raptor said:
I'm in the same boat, only I don't know if the red key was ever done. I purchased used with only one key. Do the dealers have Blank Red Keys there or do they have to special order a red key

I'm ordering it now. At the very least it has to be ordered in. They don't have blanks here.

As for the amount of programming it does or doesn't need, I'm not sure. I bet they are not sure either.

raptor said:
How much is the software cost at the dealer? Or should I buy the software online

$302 MSRP. Levittown Ford Super Center sells it for $224 online: http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-racing-boss-trackey-flash-p-1220.html You will be mailed a voucher from FRPP which is what you take with you to the dealer for the install.

Any Ford dealer service dept can do the TK flash procedure, with widely varying degrees of competence. Takes nominally 1 - 2 hours at the regular dealer labor rate. Recommend finding a dealer that's done it before multiple times, if you can.

Your car looks great without stripes. I have a black Boss. I've been tempted to remove the hood stripe. After seeing your car I'm more tempted. Did you remove them? If so, was it difficult?

seca954 said:
Your car looks great without stripes. I have a black Boss. I've been tempted to remove the hood stripe. After seeing your car I'm more tempted. Did you remove them? If so, was it difficult?

Hey thanks. I got it like that from AutoQuest in Calgary. I asked about the stripes and they pointed out the canadian window sticker shows 'stripe delete' under the options. Now I am aware the previous owner banged it and no doubt it needed a re paint so it's possible they decided against putting expensive decals back on. Either way I like the cleaner look and the black trim and black roof looks sharp.

Maybe photoshop yours first to get an idea?

TMO Supporting Vendors