The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Seat question, FIA certified? or not that important.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Since we are having some political problems down here in Chile, all the racing events have been canceled and we are working on next years rules for our new category. Hopefully things can calm down soon and in the mean time I ended up being the categories Director again (for some reason that escapes me). We are thinking of applying FIA certifications for things like seats and seatbelts. The problem is that about half of the 20 or so cars that regularly race, have un-certified seats like Corbeau etc. Are having FIA of some other certified seats a requirement in the USA?? Did not want to exclude cars for something that was not a high safety priority. But then again saw a fellow with a punctured lung from a cheap Chinese knock off seat.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Since we are having some political problems down here in Chile, all the racing events have been canceled and we are working on next years rules for our new category. Hopefully things can calm down soon and in the mean time I ended up being the categories Director again (for some reason that escapes me). We are thinking of applying FIA certifications for things like seats and seatbelts. The problem is that about half of the 20 or so cars that regularly race, have un-certified seats like Corbeau etc. Are having FIA of some other certified seats a requirement in the USA?? Did not want to exclude cars for something that was not a high safety priority. But then again saw a fellow with a punctured lung from a cheap Chinese knock off seat.

We have to use unexpired FIA seats in the series I run, or a mandatory back brace. Helmet firesuit, seatbelts and the seat are things I definitely will never cheap out on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Definitely we got everyone onboard with... Helmet, firesuit, harness with Hans etc. The idea of a back brace could be a solution for those who dont have FIA seats, though it would be easier just get the FIA seats. In general all 100% behind the safety first idea, but racing down here has a long way to go still.

sfo
You have to realize those fia seats expire in 5yr or 10yr depend on which fis spec and which year of purchase.

Seat is cornerstone around which rest od safety system is built.

You might be able to not go FIA if you allow fully supported aluminum seats that never expire. But you need to spell out stuff like aluminum seat ok with withouw containment? Support bolted to cage or chassis? Bolting to 4, 6, 8 places, back brace? etc.

You can keep people happy by rule any new build must be fia. All drivers 2021 seats must be FIA. So people grow into rule have time to save money. Or FIA seat you can drop - 25lb off minimum weight...so you reward safety.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The belts and seats, both FIA approved , just make a ton of sense from a safety standpoint and virtually all groups are pushing these as the standard, if not now then in the very near future. Goes hand in hand with the Hans and Snell Helmet issue , if you are protecting yourself you need to go all the way, not stop when your head and body are only half protected --- racing costs sure, but these are safety costs and will likely be mandated Worldwide extremely soon. The FIA is actually better recognized in some parts of the planet than in the US, and to many racers it is the standard one has to adhere to to participate.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Corbeau used to have FIA seats but not any more.

Thanks Bob, good ideas

Corbeau currently is FIA approved on all their Motorsports range in Europe, and you can always order them directly from UK and ship them here. The Corbeau USA range is more street oriented.

Both bucket seats I currently have in the Shelby are Corbeau carbon fiber shells with FIA certification.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for the correction on Corbeau, but have to admit with shipping , etc. it is likely a much easier choice for folks in the US to select from the wide range of FIA seats by, Recaro, Sparco, etc. - which are readily available. Looks like the general consensus, though, is time for many to get FIA seats and the other plus is most groups give them a much longer time frame for approval, meaning overall the cost is often less.

In my opinion, it should not be what is minimally mandated.

Safety items and components should be at the top of your budget list. Get the best you can afford, or better. All else is secondary.

WHAT IS YOUR HEAD AND BODY WORTH TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY?

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Always! But the question was related to seats and the FIA ratings. Which was a valid question for me, quite a few of us have the Corbeau Forza or FX seats which turn out not to be FIA. Looks like they stopped selling Corbeau FIA seats in the USA around 2013 and as Yotah1 has pointed out, they do have FIA seats in Europe. In the end a OMP FIA seat is actually less then then a HANS and we already made those mandatory, so little by little we can get everyone on board. Did not really take it in that the Corbeau USA race seats were not up to standard. We have cars ranging from Honda on budget builds to Mclarens all racing together so the amount of $$$ available goes from shoe-string to extravagant.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I know a lot of companies will finally discount a seat after the model year ends , so hopefully some can pick up an FIA seat with some discount that way. They do vary in price and the same situation with cars exists here ....budget machines to mega dollar vehicles ( along with their $$$ trailering rigs ). As noted the sales pitch to those needing to switch over , is that they will be legal for most sanctioning bodies Tech Process for a longer period of time. Also , most groups give their members a year to upgrade , so it is not something that hits them between the eyes immediately, but gives them time to put into their racing plans for the future.

Looking forward to hearing about racing in Chile again, so do hope the civil disturbance on wages gets handled in the near future?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks Bill, things got a bit hairy for few days but has settled down now.... Looking at the International news, was rather shocking too see as most of it was at the very best, 50% correct.

Sad that our 3 hour enduro was canceled....

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Glad it has settled down and hopefully next year's Racing Season encounters none of these disruptions. Likely getting warm down there fairly soon, but when does your normal season usually begin?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Our season ends around Nov 20th and starts around March 20th... Its too hot to race in summer Lol... And our winters are relatively dry....and getting drier!

We are already at balmy 88F.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well that is not bad , I remember running in Topeka one year at 104 degrees. The fun part was it was a Spec Miata race , so we were all bunched up as usual, and the cars were all getting super hot, so........................we all were turning on the heaters to try and cool things down. Can remember coming in after the race and everyone could barely crawl out of their car , but fortunately the workers had a couple of bottles of water for everyone ( first one went down your driver's suit ).

Well, some NASA Regions nearby get started in late March or early April and the is often an SCCA race about 6-7 hours South of me also in March. I probably won't get all the Christmas presents I want either, as my wife doesn't mind me playing during race season, but she is not fond of getting me a set of shocks or a fuel cell/pump for the special day!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lol.... my Boss/Wife is relieved, no more shopping for hubby since he already bought his presents well in advance....
Right now we are trying to scrounge up a track day. its become quite hard since we are FIA licensed and the local rep does not allow us to participate in track days that are not under their control.

At least the Miata would be in the fresh air! ... we frequently get track temps of over 45C in mid summer.. That was one of the reasons I kept the A/C in.... (gone now)

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Unfortunately other than the Pro Series ( with the new spec Pro MX5 ) virtually all Spec Miatas have attached Hardtops, so it gets plenty warm. Fortunately the BossS has a set-up for a cool suit, so not too bad on really warm race days.

Sounds like the Local Rep needs to be introduced to some of those fine Chilean Wines with some of your fellow racers . A little wine and dine , so he won't whine!

TMO Supporting Vendors