• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Second Gear syncro TSB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Took my car in for the TSB for the second gear syncro's yesterday and they informed me today that there was more damage in there than the syncros. All they said was the shifter bearing was busted. Anyone have this problem?

kona768 said:
What's a 2nd gear synchro tsb?
There is a known issue to Ford, where second gear is grinding in all MT82's. I don't know the number yet, but will get it when I pick up the car. Half of the teeth on the gear are ground down very bad, the synchros are done, and there are bearings inside a plate that holds the shifter fork that are broken as well. They are replacing the gear, fork, syncros, and the whole plate thing.

yes please post the TSB number (you can also email it to me? ) I've been having terrible issues with my second gear as well, dealer either "can't reproduce it" or they say it's normal.

Hard to shift/grind during 1-2 upshift-2nd gear pop-out during acceleration-MT82 Manual Transmision-Built on or after 9/22/2012 TSB 13-12-5 . My dealer printed me the 8 page Technical repair procedure.So far my Tranny is OK.

Pitt302 said:
Hard to shift/grind during 1-2 upshift-2nd gear pop-out during acceleration-MT82 Manual Transmision-Built on or after 9/22/2012 TSB 13-12-5 . My dealer printed me the 8 page Technical repair procedure.So far my Tranny is OK.

The 9/22/2012 date would imply there was some kind of change to the MT-82 during the 2013 model year? Anyone know what the difference might be?

My 2013 Boss was built in May of 2012. I have no issues.

TSB 13-12-5
ISSUE - some 2013 Mustang vehicles equiped with MT-82 manual transmission,and built on or after 9/22/2012 may experience a hard to shift or grind condition during a1-2 upshift,or pop-out of 2nd gear condition during acceleration.
Dealer coding -Basic Part No. 7124 / condition code 30

If I could I would post the 8 pages on how to repair,but any Ford dealer should be able to provide you this information.

Mine ground going into second and kicked it back out. The teeth are worn off and the synchros are gone. Still waiting for the parts to come in from the states.

Can someone post a link to the tsb online someplace?
I cannot find info on it and my dealer doesn't acknowledge the tsb as one that exists?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
WorldFamousZ said:
Can someone post a link to the tsb online someplace?
I cannot find info on it and my dealer doesn't acknowledge the tsb as one that exists?

Look at post number 7. The TSB information is posted by Pit302, and is reported as TSB-13-12-05 with a brief description. Until this post, I have not been able to find reference to this specific TSB.

Good find Pit302, thanks so much for the information.

All the best,
302 HP

I saw the post above, but I cannot find a listing elsewhere online to reference.
I was hoping to find something more "solid" I guess you could say to reference when I take my car into the dealer, more than a post in a forum (as credible as the post is).

I called the dealer and set up yet another appointment so we sill see what transpires

You have TSB 13-12-5 . I am in Canada dont know if that makes any difference . I just went to the dealer for some Dual Clutch Transmission fluid,and the fellow look it up and printed off the Technical Service Bulletin.Had no major issue with my Transmission.Maybe I could FAX it to you if they can't produce it for you?

I to am in Canada, so maybe they have different tsb #s. I will be picking my car up tomorow and will get the tsb # and post it here. It should be the same as Pit302's, but I will check. They sent all the parts in this morning for the trans and got it all buttoned up and in the car, but didnt send the exhaust clamps Ford wants them to replace. Hopefully they arrive in the morning. A week at the end of the season not being able to drive it is KILLING me.
On a good note, I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot super sports. 275/30/r19 fronts and 285/35/r19s on the back.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Pitt302 said:
You have TSB 13-12-5 . I am in Canada dont know if that makes any difference . I just went to the dealer for some Dual Clutch Transmission fluid,and the fellow look it up and printed off the Technical Service Bulletin.Had no major issue with my Transmission.Maybe I could FAX it to you if they can't produce it for you?

Canada, could be why we don't see it yet, may not be released in the US market. Now I'll have to look for it and call my Ford buddy for some information. Thanks for letting us know.
302 Hi Pro

Edit: TSB 13-12-5 is not reported to NHTSA as of this evening. Must be a Canadian release at this point.

I've got the eight page copy for any of those that are interested. Not entirely sure how to post here or if I can. Otherwise send me a pm and i'll email it to you.

This would be interesting to read if you could get it posted up. I have already had 1st/ 2nd gears and synchros replaced about a year. A noticeable whine now occurs with the car cold/ hot. Of course, Ford says it is within specification and NPF'ed me. Whatever. I believe the shop foreman is attempting to help, but has his hands tied with the Ford tech line. Seems Ford wants to see a failure prior to any repair.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Latest lap times

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel