The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Senior Moment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I had my first senior moment first thing Friday morning. As I was getting ready to back out of the garage I turned on the dome light to find something inside the car. While backing out of the garage inadvertently pressed the garage opener instead of the dome light. Not realizing that the rear of the car was sticking out I noticed the garage door was coming down. Not owning a garage before I tried to pull forward while the garage door was sitting on the trunk. I know, I should have waited for the door to go back up but panic set in and like I said never owning a garage I wasn't aware of the situation. Sorry for the long writing but this was something I had to get off my chest. I buffed as much as I could but there are still small scratches middle ways in the trunk as well as on the spoiler. Taking it to a body shop tomorrow. It could have been worst I suppose.

It's a car and can be repaired. Did you see what they did to the GT40 that sold for $10M this past Summer? It had the roof removed and they put it back together. It didn't hurt the price any and a repainted deck lid won't hurt yours either. ;)

Hopefully not too deep scratches, some light sanding, rubbing compound and polish, good as new. I had forgotten to put the parking brake on once and the car rolled back into the garage. Would have caused no damage but I had not realized it until I hit the garage door opener. It gauged the paint so it required a repaint and new bumper stripes. I feel your pain.

Maybe a week and a half after getting my Boss, I was backing out of the (detached) garage at my house...I was VERY intently watching the right front of the car, to make sure I didn't catch it on the motorcycle that sits there when I heard...a noise. Yeah, I was so intent on the right front of the car, I neglected the right rear of the car...which ran into the pantry that sticks out of the house over the driveway. Some rubbing compound, and it's pretty much fixed, however there's a /very/ small dent in the wheel arch there. Can't see if if you don't look for it, but I know it's there. *sigh*

While parking on slight incline I wiped out my splitter and scratched up my front lips paint. This all happened while I was trying to avoid going forward, needless to say I learned the hill start assist only works when the front is facing up hill not down hill.

killerwill13 said:
While parking on slight incline I wiped out my splitter and scratched up my front lips paint. This all happened while I was trying to avoid going forward, needless to say I learned the hill start assist only works when the front is facing up hill not down hill.

hill assist on the Boss???

boss man said:
hill assist on the Boss???

Little known fact that I was unaware of until I heard about it here. Not sure what the level of incline, but say you are at a stoplight on a hill and have your foot on the brake and clutch in, if you let go of the brake the car will stay in place for a second or two before rolling back. Very nice on steep inclines.

Wish it worked on the downhill. My dealer parked my car in a decline spot, 4" from the curb when I was picking it from service. I made sure the did not hit the curb before backing it out. They at least took two spaces so no one could park next to her like I asked.

Darth Boss said:
Little known fact that I was unaware of until I heard about it here. Not sure what the level of incline, but say you are at a stoplight on a hill and have your foot on the brake and clutch in, if you let go of the brake the car will stay in place for a second or two before rolling back. Very nice on steep inclines.

Wish it worked on the downhill. My dealer parked my car in a decline spot, 4" from the curb when I was picking it from service. I made sure the did not hit the curb before backing it out. They at least took two spaces so no one could park next to her like I asked.
going to have to try it. I guess from driving sticks all my life i never gave it any thought or had the need. Thanks for the tip.

The 2013 definitely has hill assist. I'm not sure about the 2012. I found out after almost launching my car while on a hill! I gave it the extra revs that I figured i would need to make sure i wouldn't roll backwards and when I let the clutch out and didnt roll, I took off like a bat outta hell. It took some getting used to.

cbj5259 said:
As was mentioned...it can be fixed. Is it an older garage? No infared beam?

It's great to hear that I am not alone not that it makes me feel any better.LOL...As far as the garage, it does have an infared which is good as long as something is in front of it but in my case the back tire was in front of it at the time. It's just one of those things only I can see or if you are at the right angle. There are a few places that catch a finger nail. Over time this will pass. :)

I took it to a friend of mine that repairs cars today and he basically said leave it alone. I did a pretty good job buffing it out with an orange pad and swirl remover. He said keep at it. Maybe 2500 grit sand paper and polish it. He said wait until you really need to paint it. True!

Yea, I scrapped the front leaving a gas station once as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors